Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2019 Ford Fiesta 1.5L 3 cylinder for UK?

Guy's reviewing a 2019 FiST, for Europe.
Seems like we're missing out on a 3 cylinder. 40MPG, cylinder deactivation,...
Still an interesting watch.

[video=youtube;UFneaU_8Ww4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFneaU_8Ww4[/video]

[video=youtube;pQiH46h81mU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQiH46h81mU[/video]

A7xogg

a lsd from factory, direct and port fuel injection better gearing. Yeah ford you messed up by not offering any cars in america

OP
P
Thread Starter #5
The 3 cylinder setup is rather odd; and a European thing..
It seems to work well, however, if they had given the US Fist a 20% higher final drive gear ratio, it would have had the same MPG as this one.
3 cylinders usually also need to rev higher than 4 cylinders for the same performance.
It's amazing what they did with the engine, removed 1 cylinder, while adding a counterbalance (=not good for acceleration), and still stayed 10LBS lighter in weight.
If you ask me, anything above a 1000cc, makes more sense to have 4 cylinders.
If not, they could have just equipped it with a twin.

While the 3 cylinder engine has more power than the 4 cylinder counterpart, it's mostly done for emissions and fuel economy.
It'd also be interesting to see how the 2 main cylinders will fare against the odd cylinder that's turned off during cruising.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It seems to work well, however, if they had given the US Fist a 20% higher final drive gear ratio, it would have had the same MPG as this one.
3 cylinders usually also need to rev higher than 4 cylinders for the same performance.
It's amazing what they did with the engine, removed 1 cylinder, while adding a counterbalance (=not good for acceleration), and still stayed 10LBS lighter in weight.

While the 3 cylinder engine has more power than the 4 cylinder counterpart, it's mostly done for emissions and fuel economy.
It'd also be interesting to see how the 2 main cylinders will fare against the odd cylinder that's turned off during cruising.
Ummm, the 3 cylinder isn't just for Europe. The Fiesta SFE 1.0L has been in the US since 2015. It is a fantastic engine and far better than the normally aspirated 1.6L. I have logged a lot of time in both. The car feels far more powerful than the 1.6L and sounds incredible. Given what you want in a car, the SFE was the right car for you. My brother has one with way over 100,000 miles and loves the car.

Ummm, the 3 cylinder isn't just for Europe. The Fiesta SFE 1.0L has been in the US since 2015. It is a fantastic engine and far better than the normally aspirated 1.6L. I have logged a lot of time in both. The car feels far more powerful than the 1.6L and sounds incredible. Given what you want in a car, the SFE was the right car for you. My brother has one with way over 100,000 miles and loves the car.
there you go making sense again...

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Wasn't saying it was just for europe.
We've had the Geo Metro engine for more than a decade already.
However, 3 cylinder engines are very popular in Europe (and Asia fwtw)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Wasn't saying it was just for europe.
We've had the Geo Metro engine for more than a decade already.
However, 3 cylinder engines are very popular in Europe (and Asia fwtw)
The Geo Metro engine does even begin to compare to the Ecoboost 1 litre in the SFE Fiesta.lol

me32

1000 Post Club
a lsd from factory, direct and port fuel injection better gearing. Yeah ford you messed up by not offering any cars in america
Yeah we are getting screwed big time on this deal. The improvement they added are huge for a performance car.

me32

1000 Post Club
The Geo Metro engine does even begin to compare to the Ecoboost 1 litre in the SFE Fiesta.lol
Yup i had one. That thing was a POS. But i ran into till it blew up for 2.5yrs and got 45-50mpg in it.

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
Yup i had one. That thing was a POS. But i ran into till it blew up for 2.5yrs and got 45-50mpg in it.
I've known a lot of people running that engine with a turbo on, got 40MPG average, and still got like 200k miles out of them!
Even with a turbo, they're not close to the ST's 3 cylinder engine, but we're talking about 25-30 years of technology advancements on the ST engine!
It's amazing what they did to the engine, but if you ask me, the difference on paper is too small to notice.
You might beat a 2018 ST with the 2019 by less than half a second on a quarter mile run. The HP difference is less than 3%.

me32

1000 Post Club
I've known a lot of people running that engine with a turbo on, got 40MPG average, and still got like 200k miles out of them!
Even with a turbo, they're not close to the ST's 3 cylinder engine, but we're talking about 25-30 years of technology advancements on the ST engine!
It's amazing what they did to the engine, but if you ask me, the difference on paper is too small to notice.
You might beat a 2018 ST with the 2019 by less than half a second on a quarter mile run. The HP difference is less than 3%.
These cars arent drag cars so the difference so you are correct there wont be much difference in the 1/4. Where the 1.5 3 cylinder will shine is in auto cross or tight road course tracks. The upgrades to the 2019 EU version over the 2018 US version are pretty big. They come with LSD, dual fuel injection, faster spool turbo, upgraded suspension. Stock for stock the 2019 EU will easily take the 2018 US in those situations. But since we wont get the 2019 EU version it wont really matter. We will just get a roll over 2018 as a 2019 model for a small run. Better than nothing

I don't believe a 3 cylinder engine of the same displacement is inherently more powerful than a 4 cylinder. This blanket statement ignores factors like bore and stroke dimensions, which can vary greatly with either configuration. Generally, 3 cylinders would make less power if the stroke is longer than a typical more "square" 4 cylinder, but they will make more more torque lower in the rpm range. A good comparison can be seen in the motorcycle world. I have owned a Triumph Speed Triple and lots of 4 cylinder bikes. The Speed Triple made lots of torque early, but was down on horsepower near redline. Unless a rider is drag racing, the torque is enjoyed more often than the power. I do miss that Triumph at times [sad]