Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2nd gear departing from a stop?

I'm in, lets help figure out how to get THE BEST MPG out of the FiST and make it an even better economy performance car rather than the other way around. Why not, it's a challenge, a different one then normal performance mods but that could make it more interesting. I'm sure hypermilers know all tricks to eek out the last little MPG maybe they can chime in (e.g. dimple the body for less drag.) My first thoughts are most performance mods are going to help. I think running higher octane, with a low boost economy tune is probably a good start. Even adding a bigger turbo will, help. The more cold air you can get in the engine the better. [loveboost] The next thing would be put lightweight wheels and taller narrow tires on it and fill them up to max pressure, no traction, but who cares when you have little to no power lost to friction. I think the RMM upgrade would help with the lower gear shifts making them more controllable, and again less power lost to the engine moving around. Maybe the big mouth, and high flow drop-in intake filters would help with more air. Also weight reduction, pull all the weight out you can, replace the spare tire with repair plugs and a small compressor, pull out the back seats, carbon fiber hood, etc. I recall a thread were someone with a bigger turbo was talking about how much better their MPG was, maybe I can dig that up. Any other ideas?[raceflag]
Interesting idea, though I fear I would fail miserably. I'm not sure you are right about wanting more air, because the more air past your MAF sensor, the more fuel your ecu will have the injectors deliver. One of my AP slots is a 3000 rpm limit valet slot. I wonder what mileage I could eek out with that? I think generally speaking that mileage would be higher if I uninstall the AP and revert to the tamer OEM tune, but perhaps a 3000 rpm limit would offset that. Or one of my AP eco slots with a 15 psi boost limit? Or install a Cobb eco tune with a 7 to 8 psi boost limit? There sure are a lot of choices.

anticon

Interesting idea, though I fear I would fail miserably. I'm not sure you are right about wanting more air, because the more air past your MAF sensor, the more fuel your ecu will have the injectors deliver. One of my AP slots is a 3000 rpm limit valet slot. I wonder what mileage I could eek out with that? I think generally speaking that mileage would be higher if I uninstall the AP and revert to the tamer OEM tune, but perhaps a 3000 rpm limit would offset that. Or one of my AP eco slots with a 15 psi boost limit? Or install a Cobb eco tune with a 7 to 8 psi boost limit? There sure are a lot of choices.
I guess I assume the tuners could figure the MAF thing out, the more power you can make out of the least amount of fuel should be the most efficient MPG setup. As long as you are using all the energy created in the most efficient manner possible.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This makes me want to buy a SRT8 Dodge Challenger. I like hot hatches because they're fun and affordable. Some of you on this form are great, but I just can't understand the logic of starting a manual vehicle in second gear, or trying to make a performance vehicle more efficient, or even thinking about using anything other than the highest octane you can get available.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This makes me want to buy a SRT8 Dodge Challenger. I like hot hatches because they're fun and affordable. Some of you on this form are great, but I just can't understand the logic of starting a manual vehicle in second gear, or trying to make a performance vehicle more efficient, or even thinking about using anything other than the highest octane you can get available.

Starting a manual in second gear is NUTS! There I said it and I believe OP needs his head examined lol. I just posted that I am thinking of getting a 3 cylinder 1liter Ecoboost SFE Fiesta because the car weighs 2500lbs you can pick them up for under 10k and I would love to strap on a ST turbo on it in place of the tiny pinwheel it comes with. Lol I think it would fun as hell.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Starting a manual in second gear is NUTS! There I said it and I believe OP needs his head examined lol. I just post that I am thinking of getting a 3 cylinder 1liter Ecoboost SFE Fiesta because the car weighs 2500lbs you can pick them up for under 10k and i would love to strap and ST turbo on it in place of the tiny pinwheel it comes with. Lol I think it would fun as hell.
That would be cool.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.............. dimple the body for less drag .................
If a Fiesta ST and a golf ball had a baby, what would it look like? (Photoshop anyone?)

.......... Even adding a bigger turbo will, help. The more cold air you can get in the engine the better. ......................... . ........... .. ................... ................. recall a thread were someone with a bigger turbo was talking about how much better their MPG was ....... .. ........
Whether or not it helps MPG is circumstantial. Every time the blow-off valve has to activate, that is wasted energy. Having larger and more frequent blow-offs, over a shorter RPM range (due to increased turbo lag) may prove counterproductive. Then again if the turbo spends less overall time engaged, due to lag, that may actually serve to burn less fuel. Weight reduction and lower internal friction/drag are among the chief reasons that the newer smaller engines are more efficient. The turbo's chief contribution is its ability to make that tiny engine output like a bigger one.

anticon

If a Fiesta ST and a golf ball had a baby, what would it look like? (Photoshop anyone?)
Ha, this is where I got that from. I have never seen it implemented anywhere else except golf balls.

[video]https://youtu.be/VUiGhyHC-1A[/video]

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I tried the 3000 limit. Pulled out on to the highway and was almost crushed by an oncoming semi. He swerved luckily and all was well.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I only "bump" stop and keep going in 2nd... it's where I come almost to a complete stop fairly quickly but let off the brake suddenly and it lurches forward enough to take off in 2nd without too much clutch slip and also just gently giving it about 1/4 throttle to avoid LSPI, etc. Bogging it briefly without FLOORING it isn't going to hurt and I also hate having to start back over at 1st when there is no need to just burn more brakes and gas.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

Are you on an E30 tune?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well, we DO have SUB-compact car, that automatically implies some sort of economy in and of itself... Of course if I didn't care about performance I would have just gotten a Hyundai/Kia/whatever, but still, it's nice to have efficient performance too so I do like to see I can romp on it and still get 28 MPG, LOL.. But seriously, I'm especially with you on about the octane, but to clarify what I said as far as taking off in 2nd, we have a ridiculously short 1st gear anyway, so why not come to almost a complete stop and then lurch forward to avoid having to drop all the way to first, just like any manual... But as far as taking off from a complete stop in 2nd, that's utterly ridiculous, just get moving in first and quickly move on to 2nd gear.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
but to clarify what I said as far as taking off in 2nd, we have a ridiculously short 1st gear anyway, so why not come to almost a complete stop and then lurch forward to avoid having to drop all the way to first, just like any manual... But as far as taking off from a complete stop in 2nd, that's utterly ridiculous, just get moving in first and quickly move on to 2nd gear.
I don't think that we do have a ridiculously short 1st. I find it perfect when creeping along in traffic with everyone else who just rides their brakes in their automatics. For sure it's too short for the track and only good for the first 3 seconds of an a/c run, but it's a good street car 1st, IMHO.

I don't think that we do have a ridiculously short 1st. I find it perfect when creeping along in traffic with everyone else who just rides their brakes in their automatics. For sure it's too short for the track and only good for the first 3 seconds of an a/c run, but it's a good street car 1st, IMHO.
This. The FiST has the best gearing for street driving and creeping along in stop-and-go traffic (common where I live) of any car I've owned. So what if I have to make two shifts before I hit 60? Every shift is a pleasure in this car.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This. The FiST has the best gearing for street driving and creeping along in stop-and-go traffic (common where I live) of any car I've owned. So what if I have to make two shifts before I hit 60? Every shift is a pleasure in this car.
You know guys, I had been spoiled but today hit some nasty traffic and you're mostly right! I was glad 1st was low and usable in that situation! :)

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
In stop-and-go traffic I prefer 2nd. I'm much smoother with it than 1st. I will only use 1st if I came to a COMPLETE stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk