Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2nd gear departing from a stop?

cxwrench

I prefer no spacer but I do have pedal covers that are wider so they lessen the distance between the pedals. Heel/toe is easy now. I have no idea how people do it with a pedal spacer. It absolutely does not work if you're threshold braking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can't really say that as it did/does for me. I'm actually think about getting rid of the spacer and going to a 'cover' on the accelerator like you have, but not on the brake.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My parents taught be more about driving than our 'driver ed' teacher that was probably only teaching the class to get some overtime. The level of instruction is still stupidly low in this country, I doubt kids are even taught anything about driving a manual these days. I rev-match on virtually every shift, it's most definitely not something to 'worry about' if that's the way you've always done it. It's not some extra step, it's just the way it happens.
Yes, everyone bitches about the pedals in the ST but they're not that hard to heel-toe, and the harder you're braking the easier it gets. The position of the pedals isn't nearly as good as many 'drivers' cars but they work. I did install a spacer under the mount but it's almost too much. But it's not bad enough to worry about. Maybe if I did track days I'd figure something out but I don't so...I don't heel-toe much, normally I just slide off the brake pedal to blip the throttle for the shift then move back to braking.
Same thing w/ riding a moto unless it has a slipper, rev matching is done every shift.
Take a chill pill. You drive a manual how you want, but don't force your attitude on everybody else. Manuals are just about dead, and this all these rules how to drive attitude is part of the problem. It's cool to rev-match heel-toe blah blah blah is it necessary no.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ok guys lets just face it drivers ed in the U.S. is really only about learning the rules of the road plus a few other things. A person really does not know how to drive even after a drivers ed course or even going to the DMV and passing the driving test. Oh you get tested for merging, for looking over your shoulder while backing up(not always). Car control? Forget it, you get told what to do but not trained or tested on it like in Germany. Can we say skidpad? Or Finland , Pro rally type driving practice by the age of 14.

Learning how to shift a stick lol. Even when I went to drivers ed ages ago when sticks where even more common than they are now they were only teaching with Autos.
I learned how to drive a stick by buying a 4 door Datsun 510 and driving the damn thing. I learned car control from sliding in the rain am9ng other things lol. Learned about heel and toe, blipping the throttle/rev matching from being into racing. No one there to tell us beyond buddies a few years older that were into it too.
These days I can imagine thats even farther and fewer inbetweens as less kids or young people are even into performance cars like we were in my youth.
Heel and toe and rev matching is more from racing when it comes to manuals not everyone has ever done it. The more sports car oriented you were the more likely you knew of it or did it.
How many of you can rev match to the point of shifting without clutching? It can be done but you gotta be good.

Whats more important though is being able to drive a manual well enough to not destroy your clutch.
I toasted my first clutch within 50k, now I could drive an original clutch for the lifetime fo the car provided I am not lighting my tires up or drifting all over the place all the time.

Oh and ya I learned to drift in 510’s.

What do you guys say about starting the ST from second gear?
First gear is so short, and doesn't accelerate fast.
2nd gear is very long for starting the car from a stop.

I find that blipping the throttle, allowing the tach to reach about 2k RPM helps with starts from a dead stop.

Anyone else doing this?
The car is designed to be driven off first gear. Any departure is a negative tradeoff.

Please list why how you would not think that. Lol