Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sub woofer size?

Not sure what size of speakers to get for the subs.
I'm looking at either a single driver, or two separate drivers in the rear deck.
Since the rear deck isn't sealing the trunk, a single driver in the center, would make more sense.

I wanted to get a 10", but am not sure if it would provide enough volume for pairing it with the stock radio system.
The amp of choice will be a Boss R1100M, with 300W output @ 4 Ohms.

The speaker will most likely be an Alphasonik PSW310X, or Alphasonik PSW312X (10" or 12").

The main aim for adding one subwoofer, is just to get some extra low end on the cheap. The car's door speakers are missing some lowend.
So it'll be as an addition.
Not looking to disturb the neighborhood with my volume, just wanted to add a little more low end, to make the sound more enjoyable.

Any suggestions, or input?
Would 1 x 10" sub @ 300W be too little?
If the ratings are true, this 89dB SPL should give me about 113dB at max volume. I estimate it should be good enough?

If you are going to put a subwoofer on the back deck, you are going to want a driver that is good with infinite baffle/free air.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
The next issue will be: Where to install it?
The rear deck is too weak for a speaker,
the bottom board of the trunk is actually quite good for that, but it would totally kill the already non existent trunk space.

HBEcoBeaST

You'll need a free air type sub for that and the rear deck isn't a good place to mount, the rear floor would work however.

Besides that you can look for an "all in one" under seat powered sub. Or get a slim sub. With subwoofers the quality will make a bigger difference over woofer size or #. My old Boston Acoustics g5 in a small sealed box could make your eyeballs shake and hit clean vs my buddy with two cheap 15s.

I run an amp under the rear hatch and a shallow pioneer 12. Hits hard and clean while keeping my hatch clear, plus I didn't have to hack apart my rear deck or hatch lid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I’ve been thinking about adding one, but it will be a small powered unit that will fit under the passenger side seat
I've been looking at exactly the same for the past hour or two.
So far, 2 possible contenders:

Rockville RW8CA (loud enough, but if you want louder, there's Rockville RW10CA) for about $100.

or

BOSS Audio BASS800. Louder, for $170

The kenwood ksc-sw11 fell off the list, due to poor volume (according to reviews).
It probably does ok when installing 2 of them, but I wanted only a single unit for the entire car.

Pioneer TS-WX120A is the top of the line, small footprint, and does what the specs say (30Hz; unlike the Rockville which claims 20Hz on paper, but in reality barely makes 40Hz);
It's 3x more expensive than the rockville, which makes it fall of the list too.

There are a lot of low profile speakers out there, but a lot of them are not giving you good bang for the $$.
Either their Frequency specs are totally garbage,
Their power/volume ratings are too low,
Poor reliability,
Or just overpriced.

The Boss one is older technology.
I would recommend the Rockville if it's on a budget; and definitely the pioneer when audio quality matters.

Truth be told, I'm too old for running dual twelves in my trunk!
I want something that adds to the factory radio, not overpowers it.

There's a possibility that the Kenwood, Rockville and Pioneer can actually run straight off the rear cigarette lighter plug. They have 15A fuses, and the cig plug is the same.
I'm considering soldering a capacitor (with resistor) to the amplifier, so it won't draw the full 15A, and I won't need to do any wiring to the battery.

I wished I could tap sound signal off the factory 7" MySync 3 's line out. But it looks like I might actually do a speaker tap off instead.
Any successful attempts to get a line out on the Ford stock radio?

redmoe

I am running a TS-SWX2502 and a JX500/1D. The sub woofer hits pretty hard for its size and does not take up much of the hatch space. Originally I had an Alpine 12 in a down firing box but it took up too much space and the 10 filled in the mid bass better.

I would not go with an all in one. Having a separate amp will allow you to try different speakers. The amp can be installed under the tray next to the spare tire well. You can pick off the speaker signals at the b pillar. Honestly the stock Sony speakers sound fine when augmented with a good sub.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Since I'm buying from Amazon, I was thinking of ordering 2 or 3 at a time, and comparing,
Then returning whatever didn't suit my liking.

But I think I've found another interesting one:
The Rockville USS8.
It's less loud, but goes deeper than the Rockville RW8CA.
If it provides the volume I need, I might just stick with this one.
Just trying to see if anything will still fit under the driver seat, or if it will be passenger seat only.
Since I'm the only one using the car, I'm not looking for a heavy system.
One placed under my seat, giving me the vibrations might just be enough.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll check clearances of the seats, and see if any would fit under the driver seat.