Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to get rid of the turbo whoosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's a totally useless sound.
I don't want to draw attention to my car.
Unless it's an 'unwanted'(at least for me) byproduct of cheaper engine manufacturing; I prefer it disabled.
Just don't want it to affect my performance in a negative way.

Is the whoosh sound connected to the sound symposer box?
Any cheap mod to delete this sound?
And any negative consequences if I disable the sound?

This is fantastic. Anything you can find that makes driving a FiST fun, you start a thread asking how to remove it. Love it. [screwy]

As to your question, if you are 100% stock, I'm not sure how you are hearing any "whoosh". Now, I do have a bit of a hearing loss thanks to a few paid vacations courtesy of the US Marines. But I don't hear anything, especially with the windows up, while stock. The symposer produces the lower, throaty noise - mainly at lower revs.

I believe the two main causes of the whoosh are either a blow-off-valve (or BOV adapter) or the intake. The stock intake box is sealed and even in my non-stock setup, I won't hear a damned thing. Now, with an open intake (or even some that are sealed but with the large filter), you will hear it any time you let off the throttle and/or shift. The stock recirc valve is, well, recirculating. Nothing is venting, so no noise there.

So maybe someone with better hearing will have to weigh in, but if you are 100% stock, I know of no way to reduce the noise. Turn up the radio?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If your car is stock, the sound you are likely hearing is from the sound symposer.
The sound is negligible outside the car.
You can easily defeat the symposer by removing the tube and putting a rag of some kind in it,
If that satisfies you, a more premiant solution would be to use a symposer delete kit.
And no, this will hinder performance in any way.

The sound is caused by the blow off valve and the OEM part is the quietest available, other than as stated above by taking off the turbo. LOL

Dave

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I increased the whoosh with a more open intake. The symposer annoyed me after that, so I bought a pretty, overpriced plug and deleted it. Now, I only hear the whoosh when I'm really getting on it. When I'm not, I'm pleased by the amazingly quiet interior, especially for a small car. I can hear my music.

If you don't care what it looks like, you can get an expansion plug for just a few bucks.

I think you would have been happier with a 1.0 Fiesta with a 6 speed. That's the one to get for mileage jockeys.

There's nothing wrong with being a mileage jockey. I was one for years. I used a car that got great mileage in the first place. The FiST is fairly thirsty, for its size.

OP
P
Thread Starter #7
Mine is a 2017, so perhaps there are differences between model years.
I can even hear it when applying and releasing light throttle on the highway (say, press and release the pedal 1/2" to 1" further than regular cruising speeds).

Especially when accelerating mildly going about 30MPH or more, I hear it very clearly, and so do others around me.

I'm not sure if the Sound symphoser amplifies that signal or not.

I did remove the hood blanket, and plastic engine cover.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The sound you're referring to is the turbo, and no you cannot get rid of it. The OEM valve is the quietest thing available. You simply got the wrong car end of story.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine is a 2017, so perhaps there are differences between model years.
I can even hear it when applying and releasing light throttle on the highway (say, press and release the pedal 1/2" to 1" further than regular cruising speeds).

Especially when accelerating mildly going about 30MPH or more, I hear it very clearly, and so do others around me.

I'm not sure if the Sound symphoser amplifies that signal or not.

I did remove the hood blanket, and plastic engine cover.
Well, that's not helping. The weight of those parts is negligible, and they do quiet down engine noise.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know. Didn't do it for weight reasons though, rather heat reasons.
You're doing more harm than good. You don't think Ford tested this car in hot weather?

The Ecoboost 1.6 is put into a lot of vehicles. The FiST got it with the hottest tune they were willing to mass produce. It's not supposed to be quiet or be a gas sipper. You just got the wrong car.

I already told you which Fiesta to get for what you want (you'll have to buy it used). I hear the Chevys are dirt cheap, too. Don't get the turbo.

OP
P
Thread Starter #16
You're doing more harm than good. You don't think Ford tested this car in hot weather?
With that mentality no one needs to mod their cars.
The Ecoboost 1.6 is put into a lot of vehicles. The FiST got it with the hottest tune they were willing to mass produce. It's not supposed to be quiet or be a gas sipper. You just got the wrong car.
I already told you which Fiesta to get for what you want (you'll have to buy it used). I hear the Chevys are dirt cheap, too. Don't get the turbo.
Who are you to say I got the wrong car?
If I think I got the right car, but want to mod it different than you?
I'm well aware of what's out on the market, and the 1.0 is a) not available where I live, and b) not the right car for me.

I'm seriously wondering what's the blame thrown around to someone who wants to make his car a little more street comfy?
It's like half of the trolls on this forum start attacking the moment someone speaks up about caring about fuel efficiency, and road comfort, but any mods that either make the car undriveable, or more track worthy are praised; despite most people here driving their car more on the streets than on the tracks.
I really don't get that.

Plus, I don't get how so many personal attacks are directed towards me.
I don't care who you are. I have never launched one any personal attack to anyone but one person here, who actually deserved it; and yet y'all are seeing me as a troll while I'm just asking questions?
Really?

I'm just stating it as it is.
I mean, you make up the community. It's up to you to make it a nice place for others, or not.
I'm active on a lot of forums, and get along with a lot of people there.
It's just sad to see this forum, like some others, have so many trolls on them, and people just destroying it for anyone else here!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Making it louder by removing parts that make it quieter is counterintuitive.

You might also look at my likes and shit, and know I'm a positive voice around here.

I also fail to see how anything I said could be construed as a personal attack.

Who's the troll?

OP
P
Thread Starter #19
Making it louder by removing parts that make it quieter is counterintuitive.

You might also look at my likes and shit, and know I'm a positive voice around here.

I also fail to see how anything I said could be construed as a personal attack.
That trunk blanket isn't the only thing keeping the noise in.
I figured there must be other ways to quiet it down; which really is all I'm asking.
Besides, even with the insulation in place, I could still clearly hear it.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That trunk blanket isn't the only thing keeping the noise in.
I figured there must be other ways to quiet it down; which really is all I'm asking.
Besides, even with the insulation in place, I could still clearly hear it.
Turbos make noises. Even mine, with the stock insulation still there. You got the wrong car.

If you don't like turbo noises, don't get a turbo. They whoosh.

We got the symposer because the car makes so little induction noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.