Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice/thoughts on Cobb Stage 3 Kit

** Update. Cobb Stage 3 Kit has been purchased and delivered. No more advice needed. Thanks for everyone's input!!! **

Alright, so hear me out on this.

I know for a fact I want the Cobb turbo-back exhaust. I know it's expensive, and I know a lot of people on here think Cobb is over-rated/too expensive/too popular, whatever. I don't care about any of that. I've had Cobb stuff in the past, and I've ALWAYS been happy with their products AND their customer service. Plus, I've listened to every single exhaust clip for the FiST on YouTube, and Cobb's sound is the one I like the best, so [:p]

What I'm considering however, is just going all in right off the bat and buying the whole stage 3 kit from them. This kit includes ALL of the following:

- Cobb AP with OTS tunes
- Turbo-back exhaust
- FMIC
- CAI
- RMM
- Exhaust hangers

When you buy all this crap together, Cobb knocks 7% off the price of all these parts. Then, when I plug in my military discount, I'm out the door for $2,500 for ALL of this stuff, saving me almost a grand over buying each item individually. This also puts the prices for all the Cobb stuff MUCH more in line with the prices of other companies. Even beats them in some cases.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if everyone's thoughts/opinions about Cobb and them being over-rated/too expensive etc. change at all when they see the price I can get for all these goodies.

Once I've got all this stuff installed I DO plan on getting a Stratified tune, as I've heard they're much better than the Cobb Stage 3 tune.

Thanks in advice for your opinions and advice guys! [thumb]

Last edited:
If you are dead-set with being "Stage 3" per Cobb's definition, then yep, that is a good price considering what all of those parts will cost you individually.

But I'm going to be the first in a long line of forum members that are going to tell you to save your money. RMM + AP + Drop in filter to start, FMIC when heatsoak starts to rear its head. That will all run you a little over $1k. And get the AP from stratified so that your $500 includes a free flash tune.

Your big savings is by NOT going with the turbo-back exhaust. I mean, if you love the sound THAAAAT much and have the money, I guess go for it. But there are cheaper options. If you aren't going to upgrade your turbo, go with a catback system since the downpipe isn't really a restriction. And for performance, you will get pretty much nothing from the exhaust. You are paying for the sound. I'm not bagging on that - everyone has their preference.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #3
If you are dead-set with being "Stage 3" per Cobb's definition, then yep, that is a good price considering what all of those parts will cost you individually.

But I'm going to be the first in a long line of forum members that are going to tell you to save your money. RMM + AP + Drop in filter to start, FMIC when heatsoak starts to rear its head. That will all run you a little over $1k. And get the AP from stratified so that your $500 includes a free flash tune.

Your big savings is by NOT going with the turbo-back exhaust. I mean, if you love the sound THAAAAT much and have the money, I guess go for it. But there are cheaper options. If you aren't going to upgrade your turbo, go with a catback system since the downpipe isn't really a restriction. And for performance, you will get pretty much nothing from the exhaust. You are paying for the sound. I'm not bagging on that - everyone has their preference.

Yes, I (thankfully) have plenty of money to burn and REALLY want the sound the Cobb exhaust provides (could have sworn I said that [hihi] ) and realize the performance gain is negligible.

I get my car in August and live in New Mexico, so heatsoak will more than likely rear it's ugly head sooner than later. And if I'm buying the turbo-back, FMIC, RMM, and AP right off the bat anyway, then I might as well get the full kit and save some coin, plus get a free CAI to boot! [biggrin]

I would say dont, the only bolt on you really need with the stock turbo is an intercooler, unless you just want more noise, also i would say get a custom dyno tune, on our dyno dynamics AWD dyno here at PTUNING im at 230whp and 318 ft lbs of torque on my e50 map and i only have the whoosh motorports intercooler and hot side charge pipe and a mountune catback. The only way for me to get more out of it is to get a bigger turbo

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

I know for a fact I want the Cobb turbo-back exhaust. I know it's expensive, and I know a lot of people on here think Cobb is over-rated/too expensive/too popular, whatever. I don't care about any of that. I've had Cobb stuff in the past, and I've ALWAYS been happy with their products AND their customer service. Plus, I've listened to every single exhaust clip for the FiST on YouTube, and Cobb's sound is the one I like the best, so [:p]

What I'm considering however, is just going all in right off the bat and buying the whole stage 3 kit from them. This kit includes ALL of the following:

- Cobb AP with OTS tunes
- Turbo-back exhaust
- FMIC
- CAI
- RMM
- Exhaust hangers

When you buy all this crap together, Cobb knocks 7% off the price of all these parts. Then, when I plug in my military discount, I'm out the door for $2,500 for ALL of this stuff, saving me almost a grand over buying each item individually. This also puts the prices for all the Cobb stuff MUCH more in line with the prices of other companies. Even beats them in some cases.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if everyone's thoughts/opinions about Cobb and them being over-rated/too expensive etc. change at all when they see the price I can get for all these goodies.

Once I've got all this stuff installed I DO plan on getting a Stratified tune, as I've heard they're much better than the Cobb Stage 3 tune.

that's a great deal
just as a comparison

our stage 3 would be just about $200 less even with all of your discounts & has the cp-e intake + full 3" DP/exhaust[thumb]

Thermal Exhaust
whoosh DP
AWR RMM (3 colors, 3 bushing durometers available)
Torque Solution hangers (x3)
cp-e intake (2 colors, 2 filter options available)
whoosh intercooler, intercooler boost hoses, hot pipe kit (2 intercooler colors available)
COBB AP V3

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Seems like a good price to me, the hardest part of that whole install is going to be the downpipe. I read your full post I know you want some exhaust noise. Some of these other guys don't seem to get that, but I do first thing I do on any car is a cat back exhaust. I really don't care for the Cobb cold air intake, seems totally pointless too me, it uses the stock air box, you're still pulling air from the exact same place. Personally I would go with a ST200 airbox dual air Inlet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #8
Seems like a good price to me, the hardest part of that whole install is going to be the downpipe. I read your full post I know you want some exhaust noise. Some of these other guys don't seem to get that, but I do first thing I do on any car is a cat back exhaust. I really don't care for the Cobb cold air intake, seems totally pointless too me, it uses the stock air box, you're still pulling air from the exact same place. Personally I would go with a ST200 airbox dual air Inlet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah I thought about the ST200 airbox, but the kit price with Cobb is all or nothing. And since I'm effectively getting the CAI free, I can maybe sell it and get the ST200 box.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

- Cobb AP with OTS tunes
- Turbo-back exhaust
- FMIC
- CAI
- RMM
- Exhaust hangers

You know what you want, and you’re educated on the pros/cons of what you’re spending your money on.

Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #10
You know what you want, and you’re educated on the pros/cons of what you’re spending your money on.

Go for it.
Solid advice. I like it. [biggrin]

Now to try and figure out a way to explain to my wife that I'll be spending $2500+ on upgrades for a car I won't be picking up until the beginning of August. Ha!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That's a good price. You're right that Cobb is a bit more expensive than others but the quality is there. And with the bundle discount and your personal discount, it's a no-brainer. I think an upgraded FMIC should be the first mod someone does. These things heatsoak bad. And since you live in Albuquerque it, well you know where I'm going...

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #12
So I placed my order last night for the full stage 3 kit from Cobb! [lovecobb] [wiggle]

Turbo back exhaust with urethane hangers, AP with Cobb OTS tunes, red faceplate for AP, intake, intercooler with charge pipes, RMM, black and red shift knob, and a Cobb shirt and hat for right at $2600 shipped!!!

My car is being built in 10 days [woot] and all this stuff along with a set of Swift springs and some black O.Z. Leggendas should all be installed shortly after picking her up!!! [rockon]

Congrats! You know you won't be sorry with the quality from Cobb. And I for one really do like the intake design - it can be augmented with a big mouth and has been tested to have an effect when coupled with a tune.

I am running Cobb Stage 3 and have been very happy. Everything is the hignest quality and is designed to fit perfectly with no issues. You will not be disappointed. I too was a previous customer using Cobb products on my Fusion...Best of luck with your new toy when it arrives...if you want pics of my upgrades search for my posts...

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #15
I am running Cobb Stage 3 and have been very happy. Everything is the hignest quality and is designed to fit perfectly with no issues. You will not be disappointed. I too was a previous customer using Cobb products on my Fusion...Best of luck with your new toy when it arrives...if you want pics of my upgrades search for my posts...
Good to hear. I've always been a fan and have no doubt I'll love their stuff on my FiST too. Feel like people knock them because A, their prices are pretty steep, and B, they're the "big, popular kid at school", so how could they POSSIBLY be as good as the guy welding up parts in his garage? [hihi]

All my stuff came on Tuesday (nice being 1 state away from them) and I can't freaking wait to start installing everything once my car gets here!

What most people don't realize is that it cost a lot to do the design and engineering work that Cobb has put forth. (Their are a few companies that have built stuff for our cars with that same time and effort) Additionally, their customer service and reputation for building high end stuff that fits right the first time should be respected.

FYI, I would do the brakes and shifting mods as well. The car is a totally different machine once you do these basic upgrades. I really have enjoyed doing the work to my car and am now very pleased with how she runs...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What most people don't realize is that it cost a lot to do the design and engineering work that Cobb has put forth. (Their are a few companies that have built stuff for our cars with that same time and effort) Additionally, their customer service and reputation for building high end stuff that fits right the first time should be respected.

FYI, I would do the brakes and shifting mods as well. The car is a totally different machine once you do these basic upgrades. I really have enjoyed doing the work to my car and am now very pleased with how she runs...
You have two basic types of buyers for car mods, those that place price as the highest priority and those that place quality first. And a few in between! I have used both approaches over the years but have found in general you get what you pay for. I don't have Cobb stuff because of the warranty issues. I have Mountune but have seen Cobb items and they are like Mountune, quality parts and according to reviews the parts fit but are higher priced. My son builds custom LS engines, 2/3's are "budget" builds of power versus dollar, the others are going into expensive restomods and they want quality and longevity and are willing to pay for it. If you are only going to run your FiST into the ground and dump it in a few years you will be OK with lower quality parts. If like me you plan on keeping it ten years you need to look at things differently.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #19
You have two basic types of buyers for car mods, those that place price as the highest priority and those that place quality first. And a few in between! I have used both approaches over the years but have found in general you get what you pay for. I don't have Cobb stuff because of the warranty issues. I have Mountune but have seen Cobb items and they are like Mountune, quality parts and according to reviews the parts fit but are higher priced. My son builds custom LS engines, 2/3's are "budget" builds of power versus dollar, the others are going into expensive restomods and they want quality and longevity and are willing to pay for it. If you are only going to run your FiST into the ground and dump it in a few years you will be OK with lower quality parts. If like me you plan on keeping it ten years you need to look at things differently.
Totally agree. This is my fun/weekend car so it's not going to get a lot of miles, and I probably won't have it more than a year or two (I get bored quick and buy new cars often as a result). But, I am blessed with enough disposable income that there's no need to cheap out and go with bargain basement parts. Hence my Cobb stage 3 purchase.

I've got no beef with guys that can get more power than me for half the price. Good on them! That's just not my thing anymore. To each their own. [biggrin]

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts