Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice/thoughts on Cobb Stage 3 Kit

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #21
How do exhaust hangers play into a "stage" . The whole "stage" thing is a joke imo.
I just listed what's included in the kit man. Simmer down. Cobb calls it their "stage 3 kit", so that's what I called it. Nobody really cares if you think stages are a joke. [wave]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just listed what's included in the kit man. Simmer down. Cobb calls it their "stage 3 kit", so that's what I called it. Nobody really cares if you think stages are a joke. [wave]
TBF, the "stages" ARE a joke, every company, even GOOD ones makes silly marketing decisions sometimes and we are allowed to make fun of THAT part of it anyway... it was NOT a shot at you, most of us here REALLY appreciate Cobb quality and especially for their work with the AP that opens up so much for us, but you should get used to us making fun of the BS "stages". :)

THAT said, I have a veteran discount to use with them too and I still find their stuff overpriced for my taste... but unlike you, I am VERY much budget limited, so there's that... you will love the crap out of all those mods, BUT the downside is that you will eventually realize that you spent all that and a guy like me spending $475 total for a used AP and a Stratified tune to get 80%+ of the gains of a $2600 package and THEN you will have to spend more on a turbo upgrade! LOL But seriously, you may be perfectly content with all that quality stuff and the sound you want, I'm glad you posted this and got some input, enjoy your new car man!

Thing is, with Cobb stuff, any enthusiast (and that is what you will get selling this car down the road), will recognize the price and the quality of the parts. Kind of like Dinan with BMW. We all know it's expensive, but as mentioned earlier, you get what you pay for. And those parts will hold their value to the casual buyer. I went 2 (stages...be damned) cuz I wanted a different exhaust and retained the stock DP... Couldn't be happier with the quality, customer service, etc. I've met some of the folks from Cobb, and even they are top notch. Great company, great parts (and no, I don't work for them, just been a fan over 3 platforms and the last decade).

Alright, so hear me out on this.

I know for a fact I want the Cobb turbo-back exhaust. I know it's expensive, and I know a lot of people on here think Cobb is over-rated/too expensive/too popular, whatever. I don't care about any of that. I've had Cobb stuff in the past, and I've ALWAYS been happy with their products AND their customer service. Plus, I've listened to every single exhaust clip for the FiST on YouTube, and Cobb's sound is the one I like the best, so [:p]

What I'm considering however, is just going all in right off the bat and buying the whole stage 3 kit from them. This kit includes ALL of the following:

- Cobb AP with OTS tunes
- Turbo-back exhaust
- FMIC
- CAI
- RMM
- Exhaust hangers

When you buy all this crap together, Cobb knocks 7% off the price of all these parts. Then, when I plug in my military discount, I'm out the door for $2,500 for ALL of this stuff, saving me almost a grand over buying each item individually. This also puts the prices for all the Cobb stuff MUCH more in line with the prices of other companies. Even beats them in some cases.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if everyone's thoughts/opinions about Cobb and them being over-rated/too expensive etc. change at all when they see the price I can get for all these goodies.

Once I've got all this stuff installed I DO plan on getting a Stratified tune, as I've heard they're much better than the Cobb Stage 3 tune.

Thanks in advice for your opinions and advice guys! [thumb]
Adding to the line of 'buy everything separately'

Any of the aftermarket pro tuners typically throw a tune in with the AP.

In reality for stage 3, all you need is the intercooler and a drop in filter.

How I would do it if I was starting again:
  • Any intake (start with a drop in filter, then upgrade later if you want more noise)
  • RMM from any vendor (the cobb is great, if you want stiffer, go with CP-E or the new one whoosh has)
  • TB Performance stage 1 pack (front sway bar and torision bar)
  • CP-E Intercooler or Levels (these 2 are the biggest surface area)
  • Depo catted DP since you are going with the cobb exhaust, you don't need a 3 DP
  • Cobb exhaust (since you want it :p )
  • Springs (swift if you plan on racing), or coils
  • Wheels and tires (the RE05'S won't last long IMO)
  • Possibly a symposer delete? (you can make one for 10 bucks)

I think for 2500 you can stretch your money further. Take a look at Whoosh Motorsports, Depo, CP-E, Puma speed, Peron tuned, Stratified, Tune +, Raptor Racing, MAP Performance, and some of the other forum vendors.

It kinda comes down to what you want to do with the car.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thing is, with Cobb stuff, any enthusiast (and that is what you will get selling this car down the road), will recognize the price and the quality of the parts. Kind of like Dinan with BMW. We all know it's expensive, but as mentioned earlier, you get what you pay for. And those parts will hold their value to the casual buyer. I went 2 (stages...be damned) cuz I wanted a different exhaust and retained the stock DP... Couldn't be happier with the quality, customer service, etc. I've met some of the folks from Cobb, and even they are top notch. Great company, great parts (and no, I don't work for them, just been a fan over 3 platforms and the last decade).
I hate to say this, but you definitely don't always get what you pay for these days if you don't include the value of buying American and whatnot... Anyone has to admit that there is import stuff at half the cost that is just as good or better than American stuff, just as an example... BUT, I DEFINITELY agree that if they are looking at resale value down the road "Full all-Cobb complete bolt-on's" (noticed I didn't use the "S"-3 word, LOL) will absolutely help, so there is value in that too... someone keeping the car a long, long time can definitely find better value piecing it together, but this guy say's he can afford and loves the sound of that exhaust, so hell ya, why not? And very easy to add another tune to make the most of that hardware too, he's doing well!

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #27
Adding to the line of 'buy everything separately'

Any of the aftermarket pro tuners typically throw a tune in with the AP.

In reality for stage 3, all you need is the intercooler and a drop in filter.

How I would do it if I was starting again:
  • Any intake (start with a drop in filter, then upgrade later if you want more noise)
  • RMM from any vendor (the cobb is great, if you want stiffer, go with CP-E or the new one whoosh has)
  • TB Performance stage 1 pack (front sway bar and torision bar)
  • CP-E Intercooler or Levels (these 2 are the biggest surface area)
  • Depo catted DP since you are going with the cobb exhaust, you don't need a 3 DP
  • Cobb exhaust (since you want it :p )
  • Springs (swift if you plan on racing), or coils
  • Wheels and tires (the RE05'S won't last long IMO)
  • Possibly a symposer delete? (you can make one for 10 bucks)

I think for 2500 you can stretch your money further. Take a look at Whoosh Motorsports, Depo, CP-E, Puma speed, Peron tuned, Stratified, Tune +, Raptor Racing, MAP Performance, and some of the other forum vendors.

It kinda comes down to what you want to do with the car.
Keep reading through the thread. Order for all Cobb goodies has already been placed and received. Now just waiting on my car to be built. [raceflag]

I bought the full Cobb stage 3 including a dyno tune at my local Cobb dealer and have been happy with it. Yes it costs more but I've been happy with the quality. I know a DP and catback aren't adding to my performance at the moment, but it should help down the road when I get an MRX turbo kit.

My only regert is shortly after, Greddy came out with an exhaust and I've always loved Greddy's deep and subtle sound (depending on which type you pick).

I'd also suggest the Cobb A-Pillar AP mount even though it is grossly overpriced, it's the perfect spot.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I bought the full Cobb stage 3 including a dyno tune at my local Cobb dealer and have been happy with it. Yes it costs more but I've been happy with the quality. I know a DP and catback aren't adding to my performance at the moment, but it should help down the road when I get an MRX turbo kit.

My only regert is shortly after, Greddy came out with an exhaust and I've always loved Greddy's deep and subtle sound (depending on which type you pick).

I'd also suggest the Cobb A-Pillar AP mount even though it is grossly overpriced, it's the perfect spot.
$3 air vent mag mount with it's steel sticker stuck to the bottom back of the AP, place mag mount on top half of air vent just left of media screen, done... wind cable from port up and around top of steering wheel accordion area, wrap the extra in a loop in the area under the steering wheel and have connection come up and around start button... helluva of clean setup for $3. :)

$3 air vent mag mount with it's steel sticker stuck to the bottom back of the AP, place mag mount on top half of air vent just left of media screen, done... wind cable from port up and around top of steering wheel accordion area, wrap the extra in a loop in the area under the steering wheel and have connection come up and around start button... helluva of clean setup for $3. :)
If I remember correctly the A-pillar mount sits a little higher in the line of sight while driving than the vents by the media screen (which I liked more), plus I personally like full air flow from my vents. To each his own, luckily there are a lot of different ways you can mount it!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If I remember correctly the A-pillar mount sits a little higher in the line of sight while driving than the vents by the media screen (which I liked more), plus I personally like full air flow from my vents. To each his own, luckily there are a lot of different ways you can mount it!
Oh yeah, it's all about personal preference but by doing the sticker on the bottom of the AP it's sits nicely aligned with the screen next to it and the bottom half the vent is unblocked when, besides there are so many more vents anyway they cool down our little car very fast... Just saying, it's easy to get a clean looking setup for cheap if you want with no real downside, I find that the A pillar is too wide already, I don't want even a millimeter more of view blocked...

Oh yeah, it's all about personal preference but by doing the sticker on the bottom of the AP it's sits nicely aligned with the screen next to it and the bottom half the vent is unblocked when, besides there are so many more vents anyway they cool down our little car very fast... Just saying, it's easy to get a clean looking setup for cheap if you want with no real downside, I find that the A pillar is too wide already, I don't want even a millimeter more of view blocked...
Yeah the pillar is pretty huge right there, hopefully beefed up for crash safety :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah the pillar is pretty huge right there, hopefully beefed up for crash safety :)
Yes, exactly! I'm just so impressed with how much that ugly little AP does and even on a tight budget that I'm also happy we have so many mounting options. :)

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

Ron explained in this thread a way to go stage 3 from his site for 200 bucks less than the op paid for parts that are every bit the quality and that included a full 3 inch turbo back. I guess that got lost in the shuffle lol. Cobb is great quality but you can for sure go quality "stage 3" if you want to call it that (I dont) for less. Just my .02

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ron explained in this thread a way to go stage 3 from his site for 200 bucks less than the op paid for parts that are every bit the quality and that included a full 3 inch turbo back. I guess that got lost in the shuffle lol. Cobb is great quality but you can for sure go quality "stage 3" if you want to call it that (I dont) for less. Just my .02
I think what is getting lost in the shuffle is he does not want a mix of questionable parts in his car. It is amazing how people promote things a poster has made clear several times he has no interest in. "Starfire Industries" may make a wonderful motor mount in their garage for example, it is a high quality part, but are the odds of them being in business next year the same as Cobb or Mountune? Of course not. Quality also includes service and reputation that a new or garage shop cannot offer. He has stated he is fully aware cheaper parts are available and he has already purchased the Cobb due to quality/resale. Some people do not trust a company without a history of backing their products, and some don't care about a reputation. Mishimoto is a prime example of not backing a thing they sell. Yet everyday with all the negative info on this Forum and a joke of a BBB score people still buy and promote Mishi. I would pay much more for a modded ST that was all Cobb or all Mountune than a mix/match of parts. So would most buyers of a niche car like ours. What you do not understand is price of $200 less is not a concern to those that can afford to buy better quality and are concerned with resale value. He I believe is like me, in ten years or so a family member will get my car. By then it will be a rare car to find, an example that has not been trashed and mods are all Mountune or in his case Cobb. And I will bet that both companies will still be around. As a buyer you would have a one owner car with impeccable service records and all high quality mods that are street legal in 50 states. Or you could buy one that has been owned by 6 people and modded with unknown parts and probably not legal anywhere. Which would you want? Bet the increase in value will be very much over the $200 in "savings". We all have our own preferences on this Forum, not all are into budget power, his and my goals are not the same as yours. This does not say your choices are wrong for you or others, just wrong for this post.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
But OP also clearly stated he really prefers the sound of the cobb exhaust and the size doesn't matter with the stock turbo anyway... he just needs to know to not bother with the terrible cobb tune at this point.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #39
Not to be a dick, but $200 savings means nothing to me. I spend $200 a month on coffee at Starbucks. Lol

I know the items I purchased from Cobb can be had for slightly less by piecing together parts from other companies, but that’s not what I opted for. I have no problem with people who choose to go that route, especially if they’re on a budget. That’s just not my situation. [biggrin]

I think what is getting lost in the shuffle is he does not want a mix of questionable parts in his car. It is amazing how people promote things a poster has made clear several times he has no interest in. "Starfire Industries" may make a wonderful motor mount in their garage for example, it is a high quality part, but are the odds of them being in business next year the same as Cobb or Mountune? Of course not. Quality also includes service and reputation that a new or garage shop cannot offer. He has stated he is fully aware cheaper parts are available and he has already purchased the Cobb due to quality/resale. Some people do not trust a company without a history of backing their products, and some don't care about a reputation. Mishimoto is a prime example of not backing a thing they sell. Yet everyday with all the negative info on this Forum and a joke of a BBB score people still buy and promote Mishi. I would pay much more for a modded ST that was all Cobb or all Mountune than a mix/match of parts. So would most buyers of a niche car like ours. What you do not understand is price of $200 less is not a concern to those that can afford to buy better quality and are concerned with resale value. He I believe is like me, in ten years or so a family member will get my car. By then it will be a rare car to find, an example that has not been trashed and mods are all Mountune or in his case Cobb. And I will bet that both companies will still be around. As a buyer you would have a one owner car with impeccable service records and all high quality mods that are street legal in 50 states. Or you could buy one that has been owned by 6 people and modded with unknown parts and probably not legal anywhere. Which would you want? Bet the increase in value will be very much over the $200 in "savings". We all have our own preferences on this Forum, not all are into budget power, his and my goals are not the same as yours. This does not say your choices are wrong for you or others, just wrong for this post.
Agreed 100%. All valid points and things I made clear. Repeatedly. Lol

But OP also clearly stated he really prefers the sound of the cobb exhaust and the size doesn't matter with the stock turbo anyway... he just needs to know to not bother with the terrible cobb tune at this point.
Yep. In my opinion the Cobb turbo-back exhaust sounds the best, and is the sound I want my FiST to make.

And I’ve heard better things about Cobb’s stage 3 tune than their stage 1 tune. No?

I like the fact that they run slightly lower boost than the other guys, thus extending the longevity of the turbo and motor. In theory at least. I will probably end up with a Stratified tune at some point, but I bet I’ll be perfectly happy with the Cobb stage 3 tune for quite a while. [rockon]

Plus I’ve heard GREAT things about their traction control which will help me enjoy the extra power more.