Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb OTS stage 1 91 time and E85 mix???

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just want to intervene here and say that you can find your areas E85 blend schedule pretty easily on the Internet. You should only have to test once during a blend season. Furthermore, if you’re on an E30 tune by a reputable tuner, there is built in leeway on the percentages (within reason). For example, (when my car ran) I always put the exact same amount of E85 and 93 in, regardless of what season/blend it was. In my area E85 varies from 50-60 (winter blend) and 70-80 (summer blend). No, fueling is not why my car isn’t running right now. Anyway, if you’re on an E-blend tune, it’s ok to test frequently and adjust but it’s really not needed.

Furthermore, while it’s not harmful to run a single gallon of E85 in your 91/93, you must be careful and avoid getting carried away. Octane is not the only difference between a 91/93 and a E30 tune. You must also consider the amount of fuel being delivered. An E30 tune must deliver more fuel than a 91/93 tune; therefore too much E85 on a 91/93 tune can run into lean conditions as you are not delivering enough fuel for the load/torque targets.
Thanks for the details! I'm just saying that all those guys with no e30 tune but e85 around should be jumping at the chance to at least use 93 octane tunes really easily... I can tell the difference in throttle response alone, and can be good for about 10HP depending on the tune and stage/mod level.

I decided to give this a try and added 1.5 gallons E85 to my fill-up and noticed a slight pick-up in throttle response and about 7-8hp on my 'estimated' HP that seemed pretty consistent. We still have the summer blend in the pumps now, so I am sure I was still in the safe zone with the 92 pump gas... And it may have all been a placebo effect. Thanks for including the links to the Dyno graphs!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I decided to give this a try and added 1.5 gallons E85 to my fill-up and noticed a slight pick-up in throttle response and about 7-8hp on my 'estimated' HP that seemed pretty consistent. We still have the summer blend in the pumps now, so I am sure I was still in the safe zone with the 92 pump gas... And it may have all been a placebo effect. Thanks for including the links to the Dyno graphs!!
You don't need to add any e85 to run 93 tunes with our gas, quite safe and the numbers to prove it... In fact, you are just lowering your gas mileage as the tune adjusts for higher E content when it's not needed. If you are going to run e85 at all, might as well get an e30 tune and you shouldn't have to mix much in with our quality premium fuel, just be sure to tell the tuner on an order form that we get 93 octane equivalent premium so they can tune for it and tell you how much e85 to add.

You don't need to add any e85 to run 93 tunes with our gas, quite safe and the numbers to prove it... In fact, you are just lowering your gas mileage as the tune adjusts for higher E content when it's not needed. If you are going to run e85 at all, might as well get an e30 tune and you shouldn't have to mix much in with our quality premium fuel, just be sure to tell the tuner on an order form that we get 93 octane equivalent premium so they can tune for it and tell you how much e85 to add.
And this stays constant even during the winter months?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
And this stays constant even during the winter months?
Our gas is oxygenated year round, which while it doesn't matter for octane does show some evidence that our gas, compared to some areas, doesn't change much. In fact, I just saw a chart where it shows WA state has the same RSVP fuel year round, and I believe that is the main part of summer vs. winter fuel, here in the NW it is mild and we don't have much smog... I haven't heard if the amount of ethanol varies much, I doubt it if they do since they oxygenate and only slightly vary the RSVP where I live, so no need to change up the E percentage. If it matters any, I was tuned before the small change over here and didn't notice any difference, except on the Cobb 93 tune it stopped dropping to -0.94 OAR once in a blue moon, heh, which perfectly fine, it's only when you hit positive numbers it's bad thing