Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

XL tires feel different?

HBEcoBeaST

Do I want XL tires? Changing to 16s soon and want to go 205/50 but none are XL. I care about steering feel but want the most sidewall as possible at stock height or lowered <1". And no, I won't go with 15s strictly for aesthetic reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
There are plenty of XL options in 205/45. Is there a specific reason for 205/50?
More sidewall for better ride, rim protection, less wheel gap. I drive in vacant, pot-holed, unmaintained lots/roads often. Can't bring myself to run 15s either. 205/45r16s you lose a little bit of wheel height.

Are xl tires going to 'feel' better as far as driving Dynamics? I see basically all the tires in our sizes in xl just wondering about the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
If you drive on bad roads, I think you definitely want to stick with XL. They have stronger sidewalls, and you'll need those if you're dealing with potholes and rough roads.

Are xl tires going to 'feel' better as far as driving Dynamics?
It really depends on the tire and how it's made. Two identical tires with the only difference being XL vs SL, the XL will have better response and sidewall stiffness. But it's diffucult to compare across brands and models.