Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Horn every time I close a door?

I just got my FiST a day ago and I’m new to the whole Ford scene. Been driving Honda’s most of my life so I’m a little confused here. It seems like my car beeps the horn every time I close a door with the car still on. How do I stop this?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Leave the key in the car and it won't do that annoying honk. It's honking to let you know you that you are leaving with the key while it's running. A common trick/bypass is to hold the key over the top of the windshield as you shut the door. It fools the computer into thinking the key is still there. From what I've read, the car will run for a good 15 minutes at least without the key in it, including if someone were to jump in it and steal it. They can get pretty far in 15 minutes. But then again, the FiST does have the #1 theft deterrent system in the country - manual transmission.

There is a fix for other Fords via the ForScan system but as of yet, nobody has figured out the code for our cars. I deliver Chinese food in mine and it drives me nuts. I won't leave the key in it because it has locked me out before. I just close the door slowly and partially. If you close it til it latches but doesn't fully close, you can walk away with the key and it running, without it doing the annoying honk. You can lock the doors with the lock button on the key, but you won't be able to lock it with the button on the door handle.

Hope this helps.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
Wow that sounds annoying. I guess I’ll start shutting the car off each time I get out.

Touch the key to the windshield or roof before you close the door and it won't honk.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I was at a gas station filling up when that distinctive honk grabbed my attention and cause me to look up.
http://www.rep-am.com/news/news-loc...left-running-stolen-from-wolcott-gas-station/
Such news articles are posted all the danged time.
The car announcing itself as a target should make one even less apt to leave the key in the car or leave it unlocked.

Hold the key over the windshield and press the lock button as you walk away.

If I have to jump out for a second with the car still running I just leave the door cracked. I don't even partially latch it really. I don't have to do this often, but it has become a habit. There's nothing gained by shutting the door all the way anyway.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Leave the key in the car and it won't do that annoying honk. It's honking to let you know you that you are leaving with the key while it's running. A common trick/bypass is to hold the key over the top of the windshield as you shut the door. It fools the computer into thinking the key is still there. From what I've read, the car will run for a good 15 minutes at least without the key in it, including if someone were to jump in it and steal it. They can get pretty far in 15 minutes. But then again, the FiST does have the #1 theft deterrent system in the country - manual transmission.

There is a fix for other Fords via the ForScan system but as of yet, nobody has figured out the code for our cars. I deliver Chinese food in mine and it drives me nuts. I won't leave the key in it because it has locked me out before. I just close the door slowly and partially. If you close it til it latches but doesn't fully close, you can walk away with the key and it running, without it doing the annoying honk. You can lock the doors with the lock button on the key, but you won't be able to lock it with the button on the door handle.

Hope this helps.
Such a strange system, it REFUSES to let me lock the keys in the car so not sure how it's locked you out before, LOL... Damn, I just wanted to leave my dog in the car with it running and AC on but can't lock it while it's running either! But yes, definitely annoying and since I thankfully have a garage to park in at home I just leave my keys in the car now too... But I have started driving Uber Eats and it was annoying when I jumped out to hand this guy his sushi real quick and beeps, UGH!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Ya, the manual says the doors will never auto-lock, which is why I left the keys in the car. But I went around back and tried to open the trunk. I think that's the glitch. The trunk release is an electronic button and it likes to lock the doors before it unlocks the trunk for whatever reason. Let me try and replicate the scenario while I'm at home with the spare. Hmm...

In the meantime, you CAN lock the doors while it's running. You can lock it from the fob, not the door handle. I do it all the time. I step out, close the door halfway then lock it from the key. It won't honk because it's not shut all the way, but it's shut halfway and has engaged the latch so it will still lock.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ya, the manual says the doors will never auto-lock, which is why I left the keys in the car. But I went around back and tried to open the trunk. I think that's the glitch. The trunk release is an electronic button and it likes to lock the doors before it unlocks the trunk for whatever reason. Let me try and replicate the scenario while I'm at home with the spare. Hmm...

In the meantime, you CAN lock the doors while it's running. You can lock it from the fob, not the door handle. I do it all the time. I step out, close the door halfway then lock it from the key. It won't honk because it's not shut all the way, but it's shut halfway and has engaged the latch so it will still lock.
Thanks for the idea man, I was trying to use both fob's, leaving one inside... I'll just try that trick, lock from the outer door button before I close it, and it won't unlock if I keep one lone fob on me, and not the spare inside, LOL.... So then I have 15 minutes before it shuts down on it's own? That would be perfect for very quick little runs inside the store where I can't bring my dog during the summer.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I honestly don't know how long it will stay running. I haven't tried yet.

If I'm leaving my dogs in the car I will just shut it all the way and let it honk, then lock the doors from the fob. I don't want anyone getting any ideas if they see the door is cracked open - not when my dogs are in there.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If I have to jump out for a second with the car still running I just leave the door cracked. I don't even partially latch it really. I don't have to do this often, but it has become a habit. There's nothing gained by shutting the door all the way anyway.
Over the long term, this is hard on the hinges. (engine vibrations)

Over the long term, this is hard on the hinges. (engine vibrations)
I could see that if I did it every day or if the vibrations were really bad. But vibrations are minimal on my car even with the Cobb RMM and I do it maybe once or twice a week tops really when I stop at my mailbox and jump out to grab my mail. Takes me 30 seconds or less. It's not like slightly latching it would help that much more anyway and I don't leave it wide open.

I don't see that reason for being a major cause of driver's door hinge failure over just regular multiple times daily opening and closing. I have had a couple of the hinge bolts or nuts start backing out on me pretty early on in owning the car. Tightened those down and I've checked a couple times since and they are solid.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I could see that if I did it every day or if the vibrations were really bad. But vibrations are minimal on my car even with the Cobb RMM and I do it maybe once or twice a week tops really when I stop at my mailbox and jump out to grab my mail. Takes me 30 seconds or less. It's not like slightly latching it would help that much more anyway and I don't leave it wide open.

I don't see that reason for being a major cause of driver's door hinge failure over just regular multiple times daily opening and closing. I have had a couple of the hinge bolts or nuts start backing out on me pretty early on in owning the car. Tightened those down and I've checked a couple times since and they are solid.
Failure? Probably talking a century there, even with you using the door as leverage to pull yourself out of the car. Not talking that long term LoL.

It's not uncommon (especially with two-door) to be able to open the door on an older vehicle and be able to lift it an inch or few. It's not critical, just annoying to look at. However smooth the vehicle runs, the effects of those vibrations are amplified at the hinge level.

Failure? Probably talking a century there, even with you using the door as leverage to pull yourself out of the car. Not talking that long term LoL.

It's not uncommon (especially with two-door) to be able to open the door on an older vehicle and be able to lift it an inch or few. It's not critical, just annoying to look at. However smooth the vehicle runs, the effects of those vibrations are amplified at the hinge level.
I guess bad choice of words, but with that much play in the hinge that would be failure enough to me and I would be annoyed enough to replace it. I guess if the way I do things does the hinge in eventually, so be it. I'll replace it if ever need be.

I sold my Ford ZX2 when it was 12 years old. It had a big long fairly heavy door and I never had any issues with the hinge on that car. Left the door open a lot as I swapped out manual for power door locks and windows, did multiple speaker swap outs, and installed dynamat in the doors. I was very good at taking the door panel off by the time I sold that car. [:p]