Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Pump- What Do You Use?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
With fewer gas stations with air pumps around, I decided I wanted to have the ability to air up my tires at home. I got this Goodyear branded Bon-Aire pump at Home Depot a few years ago and have been pleased with it-

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bon-Air...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CObzz-bzzNsCFUIZgQodP5gJOA

I use a gauge to verify the pressure but the built-in gauge is quite accurate.
I had a Craftsman before that with an air tank, you'd plug it in and fill it with air, then tote it around to each tire. It was a lot heavier, and eventually leaked.
This one's quite light, it's called a direct drive pump, you just plug it in to an extension cord and move it to each tire. bon-aire-inflators-i8000-64_1000.jpg

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Works great I think it's silly people use gas station pumps to fill up tires, on the regular basis.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
You could fill up at the gas station 72 times @ $1.50 each time, before you have spent enough to buy that compressor. I only have to air up my tires at every tire rotation so let's assume every 5000 miles. That's 360k miles. How long will it take the average person to drive 360k miles on their Fiesta?

To answer the OP, I often use the newfangled air pumps at the gas stations. They take debit card and are almost fully automated. Just push a few buttons to get to your desired air pressure and it beeps to let you know when you've hit it. Otherwise I use my big Craftsman 33gal air compressor in the garage.

Anything bigger than a bicycle floor pump will be adequate on the small-diameter low-profile tires on the FiST.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You could fill up at the gas station 72 times @ $1.50 each time, before you have spent enough to buy that compressor. I only have to air up my tires at every tire rotation so let's assume every 5000 miles. That's 360k miles. How long will it take the average person to drive 360k miles on their Fiesta?

To answer the OP, I often use the newfangled air pumps at the gas stations. They take debit card and are almost fully automated. Just push a few buttons to get to your desired air pressure and it beeps to let you know when you've hit it. Otherwise I use my big Craftsman 33gal air compressor in the garage.

Anything bigger than a bicycle floor pump will be adequate on the small-diameter low-profile tires on the FiST.
I'm a man I like tools. I live in the country we don't have fancy gas station air pumps. I also have 5 vehicles I take care of, so I need tools. I also have portable power outlet air compressors in all my vehicles. I think I got them at Aldi's for maybe $15

100% Agree, I use my Schwinn bike pump on my tires. Obviously doing a flat tire would take some time. Used the $100 I saved on a RMM.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I'm a man I like tools. I live in the country we don't have fancy gas station air pumps. I also have 5 vehicles I take care of, so I need tools. I also have portable power outlet air compressors in all my vehicles. I think I got them at Aldi's for maybe $15

You like tools and that's the air compressor you have?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You like tools and that's the air compressor you have?
I just use it for Tires, or to charge the pressure tank on my water well. I have electric impact wrenches. No need to be an ass, it's like you purposely attack my post every time.

I just use it for Tires, or to charge the pressure tank on my water well. I have electric impact wrenches. No need to be an ass, it's like you purposely attack my post every time.

I like tools like you ;) lol...

People sure do hate when you don't use a bicycle pump, to pump up car tires.

I know right... gotta break your back to earn any respect around here.

5 cars needs a motorized pump. I am a little winded after doing 4 under inflated tires... getting old!

felopr

haven't really had a need for a air pump
my tires always stay on the psi that I left them when I check them, given 0.5psi
I guess I would get one if I autocross or do track that I have to lower my psi on the tires to bring them back up after the event

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
With fewer gas stations with air pumps around, I decided I wanted to have the ability to air up my tires at home. I got this Goodyear branded Bon-Aire pump at Home Depot a few years ago and have been pleased with it-

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bon-Air...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CObzz-bzzNsCFUIZgQodP5gJOA

I use a gauge to verify the pressure but the built-in gauge is quite accurate.
I had a Craftsman before that with an air tank, you'd plug it in and fill it with air, then tote it around to each tire. It was a lot heavier, and eventually leaked.
This one's quite light, it's called a direct drive pump, you just plug it in to an extension cord and move it to each tire. View attachment 17871
How LOUD is that one?

I use my brother's Black and Decker, which like that one above has no tank for storage of compressed air, but it WILL deafen you if you stand too close, or use it in a confined area without ear plugs!! [crazyeye]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I know right... gotta break your back to earn any respect around here.

5 cars needs a motorized pump. I am a little winded after doing 4 under inflated tires... getting old!
My family keeps cars till dust. Never sell, or trade in. Till death do us part.

haven't really had a need for a air pump
my tires always stay on the psi that I left them when I check them, given 0.5psi
I guess I would get one if I autocross or do track that I have to lower my psi on the tires to bring them back up after the event
You must live in an place that doesn't have a lot of temperature fluctuation. That true?

felopr

You must live in an place that doesn't have a lot of temperature fluctuation. That true?
mmm not really I guess. Right now lowest in summer is like 75f and and high gets in the 90f-100'sf. Winter lowests is like 65F ish
The important part is to fill the tires up in the lowest temperature in the day (early mornings or at dusk when the sun had settle / night) and cant fill it while the tire is hot either

mmm not really I guess. Right now lowest in summer is like 75f and and high gets in the 90f-100'sf. Winter lowests is like 65F ish
The important part is to fill the tires up in the lowest temperature in the day (early mornings or at dusk when the sun had settle / night) and cant fill it while the tire is hot either
That explains a lot for the conditions you are in. In my situation, the cooler temperatures play a huge factor in PSI and if you consider that tires can get up to 200F(while rolling) you may be over inflating you tires if you fill at 50F and you live in a warm climate. 10F = ~1psi

felopr

That explains a lot for the conditions you are in. In my situation, the cooler temperatures play a huge factor in PSI and if you consider that tires can get up to 200F(while rolling) you may be over inflating you tires if you fill at 50F and you live in a warm climate. 10F = ~1psi
If you are not doing track duty, autocrossing or mountain spirit driving and just driving on the street, door sticker pressure is all you need.
Just fill to the psi on the door at cold and forget about it and just check in every part of the season (spring, summer, autumn and winter)
door sticker psi pressure is suppose to be the lowest psi it have to be on cold tires, it can go however high they want
While you are on the street or daily driven you are not really going to see 200f on the tires on less you are on twisties pushing it.
all of this is for a street driven car, daily driven and even mildly spirited.

If you are talking about autocrossing or track duty I can understand your argument since I have track car and have taken measurements with a pyrometer on the tires and I know how much even a single psi of pressure on the tires affect how a car handles and brakes
but on the street, is just overexagerating

If you are not doing track duty, autocrossing or mountain spirit driving and just driving on the street, door sticker pressure is all you need.
Just fill to the psi on the door at cold and forget about it and just check in every part of the season (spring, summer, autumn and winter)
door sticker psi pressure is suppose to be the lowest psi it have to be on cold tires, it can go however high they want
While you are on the street or daily driven you are not really going to see 200f on the tires on less you are on twisties pushing it.
all of this is for a street driven car, daily driven and even mildly spirited.

If you are talking about autocrossing or track duty I can understand your argument since I have track car and have taken measurements with a pyrometer on the tires and I know how much even a single psi of pressure on the tires affect how a car handles and brakes
but on the street, is just overexagerating
Tire temperatures are on average +50F above the pavement temperature (in summer). So If I fill my tires at 60F in the morning and its 100F during the day that is 4psi added plus another 5 psi from the average increase in temperature for the pavement. The pavement is usually a lot warmer then the ambient air so that can also add heat to the tires.

All I am saying is that your situation a lot different then anyone living in a northern climate. You should base how often you check your tire pressure by how much you lose over time as well as temperature. Everyone situation will be slightly difference but is largely related to the climate/temperature. Stock settings are a great starting point but there are some gains to be made with fine tuning to your climate.

felopr

Tire temperatures are on average +50F above the pavement temperature (in summer). So If I fill my tires at 60F in the morning and its 100F during the day that is 4psi added plus another 5 psi from the average increase in temperature for the pavement. The pavement is usually a lot warmer then the ambient air so that can also add heat to the tires.

All I am saying is that your situation a lot different then anyone living in a northern climate. You should base how often you check your tire pressure by how much you lose over time as well as temperature. Everyone situation will be slightly difference but is largely related to the climate/temperature. Stock settings are a great starting point but there are some gains to be made with fine tuning to your climate.

I could understand that and wanting to play on psi but how often are you gonna do it for a street driven car? one or twice for finding what setting you like best in that temperature setting (winter and summer)
after that, you just fill the tires to that selected cold psi in that season and just forget about It really.
Wheel and tires don't suppose to loose pressure if it driven daily, if you do, then you have a pressure leak from a miniature tire hole or a bend rim, unless you haven't driven the car in a while, like a week.
If you are overpressure or under pressure a tire, you can feel the car different while taking turns or braking, you can feel it more in the wet, well I know I can
I have had good performance in all weather conditions with stock psi pressure so I just don't mind and just check when the car feels different while turning.
Is it the most optimal psi for extracting the most performance? no , not really. I could play with psi to make it rotate a little more, but like I said, daily driven car, so I don't mind