Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How Necessary is a Rear Motor Mount?

borborpa

Premium Account

cxwrench

That's great to hear, I plan on installing the AWR 70 this year.
That's what I have. I swear it takes longer to jack the car up than to remove the OEM RMM and install the new one. You definitely notice it on start up and lower revs. Mine is breaking in and mellowing a bit. I love the feel.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That's what I have. I swear it takes longer to jack the car up than to remove the OEM RMM and install the new one. You definitely notice it on start up and lower revs. Mine is breaking in and mellowing a bit. I love the feel.
I have this motor mount in my 2010 Ford Focus and it has some vibration, but it works.

https://www.fswerks.com/collections...ar-engine-mount-ford-focus-duratec-2-0l-08-11

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

You can't get a stiffer component and not have an increase in vibration. While there's always a give and take in regards to mods you're probably over-thinking it.
^This^ You can't make something like this stiffer and have zero increase in NVH. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of how much and what you think of it.

Well, in the near future my next mod will be the RMM since the first one was de Boomba BOV and the Damond OCC. That being said, which brand will you guys recommend me? For a daily driver owner, not trackable car just few ricer races in my city lol (which doesn’t burn out?)

Zormecteon

Well, in the near future my next mod will be the RMM since the first one was de Boomba BOV and the Damond OCC. That being said, which brand will you guys recommend me? For a daily driver owner, not trackable car just few ricer races in my city lol (which doesn’t burn out?)
The problem in the question is that there are very few who have tried more than one, and even fewer that have tried more than two. Those that have tried more than two are not likely to use their cars as daily drivers. People pick based on what they've read, or the service they have received from a given vendor or product line. I don't know of any place to go to find a listing of the "hardness" or "usage" specs or recommendations. ...

Now all that being said, I put a MOUNTUNE RMM on my car at less than 7,000 miles. The car now has over 50,000. At first the extra vibration was noticeable but only with the AC running at idle. Over time either it has broken in or I have become accustomed to the sound and vibration so as not to even notice, BUT the scrabbleing has disappeared when I punch it in lower gears. Someone said "I don't drag race" so I don't need one that badly (to paraphrase), but neither do I. It fixed the problem of when I was rolling in 2nd gear and I near hit the accelerator aggressively. ...

TLDR: I'm happy with my mountune rmm after 40,000+ miles with a daily driver.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The problem in the question is that there are very few who have tried more than one, and even fewer that have tried more than two. Those that have tried more than two are not likely to use their cars as daily drivers. People pick based on what they've read, or the service they have received from a given vendor or product line. I don't know of any place to go to find a listing of the "hardness" or "usage" specs or recommendations. ...

Now all that being said, I put a MOUNTUNE RMM on my car at less than 7,000 miles. The car now has over 50,000. At first the extra vibration was noticeable but only with the AC running at idle. Over time either it has broken in or I have become accustomed to the sound and vibration so as not to even notice, BUT the scrabbleing has disappeared when I punch it in lower gears. Someone said "I don't drag race" so I don't need one that badly (to paraphrase), but neither do I. It fixed the problem of when I was rolling in 2nd gear and I near hit the accelerator aggressively. ...

TLDR: I'm happy with my mountune rmm after 40,000+ miles with a daily driver.
This "scrabbleing" you speak of, just an FYI this is simply torque steer and an RMM does help a little... but with the OP's Stratified tune I can tell you from having it too that they are VERY punchy, so if you or anyone else wants to help torque steer even more they can add a 2 point front subframe brace from Pierce that are like $100 shipped or a "Traction Bar" from TB Performance that helps as well,, Of course with all the torque we do have in such a small FWD car there is only so much you can do, but an RMM and one of these braces can help quite a bit along with wider tires if you can fit them. :)

As far as RMM, I just grabbed a Torque Solutions off eBay on one of those X percent off any one item days, came out to only $99... It's a 75a so a smidgen stiffer than the AWR 70a but only the most mild vibes while taking off, slightly lumpy idle if stopped pointed uphill and just about zero vibes on regular idle, an excellent overall buy for a daily.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #32
This "scrabbleing" you speak of, just an FYI this is simply torque steer and an RMM does help a little... but with the OP's Stratified tune I can tell you from having it too that they are VERY punchy, so if you or anyone else wants to help torque steer even more they can add a 2 point front subframe brace from Pierce that are like $100 shipped or a "Traction Bar" from TB Performance that helps as well,, Of course with all the torque we do have in such a small FWD car there is only so much you can do, but an RMM and one of these braces can help quite a bit along with wider tires if you can fit them. :)

As far as RMM, I just grabbed a Torque Solutions off eBay on one of those X percent off any one item days, came out to only $99... It's a 75a so a smidgen stiffer than the AWR 70a but only the most mild vibes while taking off, slightly lumpy idle if stopped pointed uphill and just about zero vibes on regular idle, an excellent overall buy for a daily.
Ended up picking up the mountune RMM got 10% off and went with it. Hopefully I can get some feedback to you guys soon.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hi all. Just wanted a general idea of how important or necessary is a rear motor mount of some sort be it cobb or mountine etc...I have an AP with an awesome Stratified stage 1 V4.0 and a custom revision possibility. I mainly wanted a bit of a power bump and I am more than happy. This is my daily commuter and I have zero plans to drag race it or do 0-60 times with it. So far I am really enjoying it on the expressway and the much better passing power. No other mods planned whatsoever besides the stage 1, window tint and the rear koni shocks which made the ride awesome. What do you guys say about having a rear motor mount? Is it a must even though I do not launch. Not that expensive by any means I just wanted input on if I should proceed. Thanks.
We offer and stock a full range of mounts for your Fiesta ST

from mild to race from many manufacturers:

If I were to list them in order of "mildest" casing the least amount of interior vibration to stiffest "race like behavior"
they are :

Torque Solutuon
Moutnune
AWR 70a
AET VUDU
revo
cp-e
AWR 88a
AWR 95a

for those not wanting to replace the entire rear mount we also stock a full range of Powerflex from the UK which are inserts designed to modify your OEM rear mount with stiffer bushings. I can't say where the Powerflex falls in the list of mild to race like mounts other than the street formula Powerflex polyurethane is pretty forgiving so I would guesstimate in the realm of the Torque Solution behavior

danbfree

3000 Post Club
We offer and stock a full range of mounts for your Fiesta ST

from mild to race from many manufacturers:

If I were to list them in order of "mildest" casing the least amount of interior vibration to stiffest "race like behavior"
they are :

Torque Solutuon
Moutnune
AWR 70a
AET VUDU
revo
cp-e
AWR 88a
AWR 95a

for those not wanting to replace the entire rear mount we also stock a full range of Powerflex from the UK which are inserts designed to modify your OEM rear mount with stiffer bushings. I can't say where the Powerflex falls in the list of mild to race like mounts other than the street formula Powerflex polyurethane is pretty forgiving so I would guesstimate in the realm of the Torque Solution behavior
The Torque Solutions uses 75a bushings so they should be listed between AWR 70a and the Vudu on your list with the Mountune probably a tie with Cobb for the softest.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
The Torque Solutions uses 75a bushings so they should be listed between AWR 70a and the Vudu on your list with the Mountune probably a tie with Cobb for the softest.
Not really the list is not by bushing durometer alone, the design of the mount has a lot to do with how much NVH translates to the cabin. For example the AWR 70a large end bushing vs. the Torque Solution 75a and Mountune is more than 1" smaller in diameter which means even though it is technically rated as a softer bushing, it has much less surface area to absorb the NVH. Each manufacturer uses different types of bushing material as well and some don't release durometer info at all.

I've personally tested COBB, Mountune, revo, cp-e, VUDU, AWR 70a, and 88a

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not really the list is not by bushing durometer alone, the design of the mount has a lot to do with how much NVH translates to the cabin. For example the AWR 70a large end bushing vs. the Torque Solution 75a and Mountune is more than 1" smaller in diameter which means even though it is technically rated as a softer bushing, it has much less surface area to absorb the NVH. Each manufacturer uses different types of bushing material as well and some don't release durometer info at all.

So Ron..what's your favorite mount out of all the ones you've tested?[wave]

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
So Ron..what's your favorite mount out of all the ones you've tested?[wave]
It's tough to say. All deliver the intended purpose to some degree. It depends what you want from your car...
I do tend to lean toward the race like feel end of the list but it doesn't mean those mounts are "better" in any way from the rest of the list. it would be purely preference

danbfree

3000 Post Club

That's good feedback, thanks... I guess bigger is better, as far as bushing size, in this case if it helps with NVH... I just know my TS really helps put the power down, I get regular wheel spin that can be controlled with throttle and Cobb/Strat dialed in TC instead of annoying wheel hop.

LILIKE16ST

I am of the opinion that if you want to upgrade it upgrade it...to the boomba which is I think 80d or the 88d awr like I have...it don't vibrate all that bad imo and it really improved the car...the ones that barely increase nvh over stock are also barely helping performance too so imo not worth messing with to start with if you're that concerned with nvh. Just my .02

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am of the opinion that if you want to upgrade it upgrade it...to the boomba which is I think 80d or the 88d awr like I have...it don't vibrate all that bad imo and it really improved the car...the ones that barely increase nvh over stock are also barely helping performance too so imo not worth messing with to start with if you're that concerned with nvh. Just my .02
I guess you missed the part where a larger diameter bushing helps absorb NVH while also being much stiffer than stock does REALLY help... I have almost zero wheel hop with my large diameter Torque Solutions 75a so not sure how you can make the comparison unless you've tried them... Also, there is only so much a RMM can do before other factors come into play, sometimes you can go too stiff for no returns on performance, only more added vibes.