Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How Necessary is a Rear Motor Mount?

Hi all. Just wanted a general idea of how important or necessary is a rear motor mount of some sort be it cobb or mountine etc...I have an AP with an awesome Stratified stage 1 V4.0 and a custom revision possibility. I mainly wanted a bit of a power bump and I am more than happy. This is my daily commuter and I have zero plans to drag race it or do 0-60 times with it. So far I am really enjoying it on the expressway and the much better passing power. No other mods planned whatsoever besides the stage 1, window tint and the rear koni shocks which made the ride awesome. What do you guys say about having a rear motor mount? Is it a must even though I do not launch. Not that expensive by any means I just wanted input on if I should proceed. Thanks.

It was one of the first things I did(Mountune RMM) along with a Cobb AP, because I got a great deal. I wasn't on the stock RMM very long, so I can't say that I "feel" a huge difference. Some people have complained of more squeaks and noise resulting from an RMM, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Probably not essential for your application, but I'd do it again.

P.S. I use mine for about the same thing you do, for what that's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much anyone that likes to drive "enthusiastically" will benefit from replacing the rear motor mount. It not only helps with launching and acceleration, but with hard and fast 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd gear shifts.

Most will tell you it's the best $150 you can spend on the car. [thumb]

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #5
It was one of the first things I did(Mountune RMM) along with a Cobb AP, because I got a great deal. I wasn't on the stock RMM very long, so I can't say that I "feel" a huge difference. Some people have complained of more squeaks and noise resulting from an RMM, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Probably not essential for your application, but I'd do it again.

P.S. I use mine for about the same thing you do, for what that's worth.

Pretty much anyone that likes to drive "enthusiastically" will benefit from replacing the rear motor mount. It not only helps with launching and acceleration, but with hard and fast 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd gear shifts.

Most will tell you it's the best $150 you can spend on the car. [thumb]
Absolute must-have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Great feedback guys thank you so much. Sounds like I should be in the market for one.
So once you guys did the RMM did you have your tune adjusted for higher idle rpm or is the stock 750 ok?

Great feedback guys thank you so much. Sounds like I should be in the market for one.
So once you guys did the RMM did you have your tune adjusted for higher idle rpm or is the stock 750 ok?

I'm just using the Cobb OTS stage 1, so I'm not super qualified to speak to that. But you're probably good to leave that idle at stock parameters.

Don't have my car yet but I'm going with the Cobb RMM (bought the whole Stage 3 kit), which seems to be on the more mellow side as far as NVH goes, so I probably won't be adjusting my idle.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I did not have mine raised. The AC is always on anyway so the rpm sits at 1k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I bought my 2016 new with 40 miles on it, and I thought the shifter fine. I didn’t think it really needed an aftermarket RMM. After about 3,000 miles, it felt like a junky economy car. I installed the Cobb RMM, and it felt way better.

I bought my wife a new 2017, and she loved the way the shifter felt. I told her to give it about 3,000 miles, and she wouldn’t like it anymore. Sure enough, after about 3,000 miles she said it didn’t feel as good. Intsalled the Cobb RMM on her’s and she liked it better.

Hi all. Just wanted a general idea of how important or necessary is a rear motor mount of some sort be it cobb or mountine etc...I have an AP with an awesome Stratified stage 1 V4.0 and a custom revision possibility. I mainly wanted a bit of a power bump and I am more than happy. This is my daily commuter and I have zero plans to drag race it or do 0-60 times with it. So far I am really enjoying it on the expressway and the much better passing power. No other mods planned whatsoever besides the stage 1, window tint and the rear koni shocks which made the ride awesome. What do you guys say about having a rear motor mount? Is it a must even though I do not launch. Not that expensive by any means I just wanted input on if I should proceed. Thanks.
I don't think it's necessary at all. If you like the car as is, leave it alone. The stiffer mount will help you feel the car better because more of the vibrations get through to you. I tolerate mine because while I don't mind the vibrations as much, I don't enjoy the noise that comes with it, and I'm lazy to put my stock one back on.

DEss

Zormecteon

Only you can tell if it's necessary. Do you ever punch it in the lower gears and feel it scrabble?--That is--- have the traction go from one side to the other and back and forth-- if not, you don't drive hard enough to need one. If so, it will cure it. Simple..

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #13
I bought my 2016 new with 40 miles on it, and I thought the shifter fine. I didn’t think it really needed an aftermarket RMM. After about 3,000 miles, it felt like a junky economy car. I installed the Cobb RMM, and it felt way better.

I bought my wife a new 2017, and she loved the way the shifter felt. I told her to give it about 3,000 miles, and she wouldn’t like it anymore. Sure enough, after about 3,000 miles she said it didn’t feel as good. Intsalled the Cobb RMM on her’s and she liked it better.
My shifter is getting a little gummy feeling, I know what you mean. I’m just under 3k miles. I think I’ll try to RMM, if I don’t like it I’ll take it off.
I don't think it's necessary at all. If you like the car as is, leave it alone. The stiffer mount will help you feel the car better because more of the vibrations get through to you. I tolerate mine because while I don't mind the vibrations as much, I don't enjoy the noise that comes with it, and I'm lazy to put my stock one back on.
DEss
Thanks for the input. Hey how many miles on yours? If you take it off maybe we can work something out.
Only you can tell if it's necessary. Do you ever punch it in the lower gears and feel it scrabble?--That is--- have the traction go from one side to the other and back and forth-- if not, you don't drive hard enough to need one. If so, it will cure it. Simple..
I’m going to say I’m more on the conservative side of going through 1st and 2nd gears. Most of my spirited driving is on the highway and on/off Ramps. Not much into drag-racing the car. Not made for that IMO. I think in my case I can probabaly do without it, but I think I’m going to pick one up and see if I like it.
After having mine for a couple months now I'm gonna agree with this. If you don't like it, sell it...someone will always be wanting one.
Very true not too hard to get rid of, every time I see one up it sells immediately.

Mikey456

The RMM was one of my first mods. I feel it helps with shifting feel for me. Got the “softer” mountune. No extra vibrations that I can feel.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #15
The RMM was one of my first mods. I feel it helps with shifting feel for me. Got the “softer” mountune. No extra vibrations that I can feel.
So the mountune is softer then the Cobb piece? Mountune has a black and yellow any difference?

Mikey456

I bought the Mountune RMM based on what I read from other threads on the topic. My understanding was that the Mountune RMM was “softer” than some of the other brands. I’m planning to keep my car around stock levels, but I like driving with enthusiasm from time to time. The upgrade took some of the slop when shifting due to less motor movement in first to third gears. But if u are cruising there is not much difference. I can’t tell u with certainty whether or not its harder or softer. I just didn’t want the vibration from the shifter and with this product I don’t feel it. I don’t know about the different colors it comes in. Honestly, I think this is really the only performance upgrade I needed other than the tires that wear out too quickly. I’m planning to put on some Swift springs on because I like the lowered look. Maybe some door speakers.

I just installed the AWR RMM (70 duro) two weeks ago. I *love* the way the car shifts, it's so much less mushy. NVH is just fine, there's a little rumble at idle when cold--that's it. Nothing offensive. My wife rode in the car a couple days ago, she didn't even notice it was different. But I notice it in the way the shifts feel, every minute I'm in the car. And, frankly, I like a little rumble to remind me that I'm sitting in the midst of an impossible machine.

It was my first mod, and I would definitely do it again. AP+Stratified stage 1 will be coming soon. And my driving is mostly like yours, OP (and I have a very, very long daily commute).

I doubt you'd regret an aftermarket RMM.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #18
I just installed the AWR RMM (70 duro) two weeks ago. I *love* the way the car shifts, it's so much less mushy. NVH is just fine, there's a little rumble at idle when cold--that's it. Nothing offensive. My wife rode in the car a couple days ago, she didn't even notice it was different. But I notice it in the way the shifts feel, every minute I'm in the car. And, frankly, I like a little rumble to remind me that I'm sitting in the midst of an impossible machine.

It was my first mod, and I would definitely do it again. AP+Stratified stage 1 will be coming soon. And my driving is mostly like yours, OP (and I have a very, very long daily commute).

I doubt you'd regret an aftermarket RMM.
Ha nice we help each other with feed back :). I think I’m going to opt for the mountune pice. And I can’t say enough about the stratified stage 1 flash. It’s just amazing. Granted I have not tried any others besides the Cobb ots stage 1 and the Cobb isn’t in the same league. Can’t wait to see if they can revise it custom from my logs. But honestly if they email back and say no room for improvement I wouldn’t be sad about the v4.0, it’s amazing. Definitely go for it.