Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight Wheel search...completed.

My Wheel Saga…

Just wanted to post up my Wheel/Tire set-up with some technical details for anyone who was thinking along the same line me.
I am definitely not the first to choose these wheels, but I wanted to share the process with some detailed info…

First off, I am really changing out the wheels for autocross use. I actually don’t mind how the Fiesta ST wheels look; if here were lighter I might have just bought a really good autocross tire and called it good.

I thought about doing the 4X100 conversion but had trouble finding the jigs within my timeline and for the price I wanted. From what I could find, the company that used to sell the jig changed and they do not have them in stock anymore, it would have taken 4-6 weeks to make me one (for about $200)

Alex the machinist (vendor here on the site) will make a jig as well for $275 and again, 4-6 weeks…

So that information ruled out the conversion for me since that will overlap multiple events I am planning to do in the next few weeks.

Back to wheel shopping… I currently own a set of Enkei RPF1’s in 16x7, 4x100 with a decent set of Bridgestone RE71R’s from my Mazda2. Wheels won’t fit, but the tires are usable.

So, I set my search criteria:

4x108 pattern
16x7 wheels so I can re-use my tires on the new rims.
As Light as possible (trying to get close the RPF1’s 13.7lb weight)
Reasonable cost
Decent looks

Anyone who has searched around with this tight set of criteria knows there are not many options.
It really narrowed it down to two options:

RPF1’s with custom 4x108 bolt pattern from OAKOS Automotive (Vendor here in the forum)

Or

Rota Grids (off the internet).

I did a quick cost vs performance potential analysis and finally made a decision:

I settled on the Rota Grids (in Hyper Black) due to my budget constraints… and hoped they would not be too heavy (I found different weights listed on the internet…imagine that).

After all that, I am very happy to report that the wheels are exactly what I was looking for.

I like with the color, finish and was most pleasantly surprised by the weight; they are just 14.86 lbs vs 13.48 lbs for the RPF1. (Less than 9% weight vs 40% cost difference).

Wheel weigh comparisons:

Pre Pic:

Here are the wheels mounted up:

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Nice choice! I just put 17x8 Grids on my car about a month ago. They're 19 lbs each in my case, not the lightest but with a 3.5 lb/wheel savings over the stock wheels there is a noticeable difference, the car is even faster than before and I can't imagine the torque increase had I gone with anything lighter.

I too looked at a zillion choices and kept coming back to the Grids, they just look so good on our car IMHO.

Looks great!!!

OP
psiaddict1
Thread Starter #5
out of the 2 i prefer the rpf-1 to the rotas. rotas look too plain for me
Yes, I agree that the Rota’s are fairly generic looking, I will give you that… Many attractive wheels out there including the OZ and Koing’s.

The RPF1’s are a great wheel in terms of looks and quality, they are hard to beat. But for the price and weight, I am happy with the Rotas.

OP
psiaddict1
Thread Starter #6
Nice choice! I just put 17x8 Grids on my car about a month ago. They're 19 lbs each in my case, not the lightest but with a 3.5 lb/wheel savings over the stock wheels there is a noticeable difference, the car is even faster than before and I can't imagine the torque increase had I gone with anything lighter.

I too looked at a zillion choices and kept coming back to the Grids, they just look so good on our car IMHO.

Looks great!!!
Thanks, I agree, Your pics are part of the reason I went this direction… even though I started out to get Bronze wheels originally, the Hyper-Black on the Blue is really growing on me. Besides, there is always some type of Plasti-dip treatment possible down the road if I get tired of the current look. [:D]

What platform are the black RPF1s for, in that scale pic?
Specs are: Enkei RPF1 16X7 Matte Black, 4x108 +43 offset, hub 73 -13.7 lbs

They are off my Mazda2 …. Know anyone interested in them…? They are just going to sit in my garage while I put the Mazda back to stock. [8D]

OP
psiaddict1
Thread Starter #8
WHY didn't you just use those, would they not clear our brakes? [???:)]
Sorry.... made one mistake in the specs:

Specs are: Enkei RPF1 16X7 Matte Black, 4x100 +43 offset, hub 73 -13.7 lbs.

I would have absolutely used them used rather than doing all the research/searching. Wrong bolt pattern... my bad [:I]

Business6

What size tire, 205/50? Could you take a side shot with the wheel straightened out?

It's weird how the 17" Grids look like 17s but the 16" look like 15s. Definitely lighter than I thought though, for clarification, the weight is 14lbs 13oz not 14lbs 1oz.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sorry.... made one mistake in the specs:

Specs are: Enkei RPF1 16X7 Matte Black, 4x100 +43 offset, hub 73 -13.7 lbs.

I would have absolutely used them used rather than doing all the research/searching. Wrong bolt pattern... my bad [:I]
OK, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure, since I might have bought them off of you (as well as about a thousand others on here LOL) otherwise. [wink]

OP
psiaddict1
Thread Starter #14
What size tire, 205/50? Could you take a side shot with the wheel straightened out?

It's weird how the 17" Grids look like 17s but the 16" look like 15s. Definitely lighter than I thought though, for clarification, the weight is 14lbs 13oz not 14lbs 1oz.
Thanks for catching my typo!

Ok, so just to make it completely clear, the actual weights are:

RPF1 - 13.48 lbs Rota Grids - 14.86 lbs 9% weight difference

Note: I corrected my original post

Is this the pic you wanted?

Business6

Thanks for catching my typo!

Ok, so just to make it completely clear, the actual weights are:

RPF1 - 13.48 lbs Rota Grids - 14.86 lbs 9% weight difference

Note: I corrected my original post

Is this the pic you wanted?
Yup, thanks!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Sorry to revive a slightly dated post, I was curious:
What size are those Bridgestones? What offset are the grids? Any negatives vs the stock set up compared to the 16x7 grids?

I know there are better wheels out there now (dekagrams), but I am drawn to the grids like a moth to a flame.

Love the way they look on your FiST, btw!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Sorry to revive a slightly dated post, I was curious:
What size are those Bridgestones? What offset are the grids? Any negatives vs the stock set up compared to the 16x7 grids?

I know there are better wheels out there now (dekagrams), but I am drawn to the grids like a moth to a flame.

Love the way they look on your FiST, btw!
Not answering your question but just a comment...….if you're wanting ultimate performance then yes there are lighter wheels, but if you want a nice compromise I suggest get the wheel you like as long as it's not super heavy. My Grids are 3 lbs lighter than the stock wheels (each) so it's a nice mix of performance gain and good looks.

Like you, I looked at a bunch of wheels but I just couldn't stop coming back to the Grids!