Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How early is too early for big turbo?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
That is why I have the MP-215 and will do no warranty affecting mods until my warranty is up. I will not go through it again. Over 4 weeks to get to arbitration and it was over in 10 minutes and I lost. M-M is at least a free way to dispute a warranty denial. Had I done it right I may have won. It took 4 weeks to get to arbitration from filing and we had the car fixed on our own $$ prior to arbitration. M-M was enacted mainly for the makers of car parts to insure your warranty would not be affected by using their filters, oil, belts blah blah blah. M-M will not get into arguments with mods. They will ask for specs to prove it is an equivalent part to the oem spec part. Occasionally the consumer will win in a M-M hearing. An informal conversation with the arbitrator revealed that most cases the car company wins because like you see on this forum people are told by people that do not know what they are talking about that it is the car companies burden to "prove" you part caused the problem. It is not, they provide evidence that their car works fine with the oem spec parts. YOU must prove what you used was correct for the car. That is easy with most reputable aftermarket parts as the parts company will provide you with the test data on their part showing it meets specs. I am always amazed at some modders going nuts because Ford will not work on their car engine after mods. How can people really believe you can add aftermarket parts to increase power and Ford will have to fix your engine? And the ones that rant and threaten to confront the dealer service people with M-M threats to fix their car are always good for a laugh. M-M is between the car company and you. The dealer has nothing to do with M-M. Both modding your car or keeping your engine warranted is everyone's choice and many mod from day one. Some people go to Vegas and win, but not many and seldom me! I bought a fiST because it was a factory hot rod. I also bought it because of the Mountune connection with the MP-215 and installed it as soon as it came in after purchase. The peace of mind was well worth the cost over a Cobb tune. I tell people that have problems and power increasing mods not to bother with M-M, you will lose in ten minutes. My case had zero to do with mods, just an aftermarket timing belt.
There was a video posted here a year or so ago of a lawyer who specializes in M M. He stated it was about 6k minimum to represent a case.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The check Cats in TN, use a roll around mirror at the State run testing stations. Funny part was he looked under the drivers side behind the wheel........
They used to break out the mirrors in Joyzee many moons ago, and one time the Parsons (privatized company, but PAID FOR by the STATE, unlike here in Pennsyltuckey where it is ALL on OUR dime, and does not even save that much in taxes!!) worker wanted to fail me for not having catcons on my '00 Z28, even after I showed him the actual FACTORY, LEGAL, installed on the assembly line, catcons from the top and under the car!! [mad]
(I did have a legal, aftermarket, SLP catback on the car at that time.)

I let him send my car to the end of the lane for it's fail sticker, but went inside the manager's office to vociferously protest, and DEMAND that they come out an let me PROVE that the factory catcons are there, in the factory locations.
They did, and I got a pass sticker. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There was a video posted here a year or so ago of a lawyer who specializes in M M. He stated it was about 6k minimum to represent a case.
At which point you could put a BUILT used, or maybe even an upgraded aftermarket long block into the car!! LOL

danbfree

3000 Post Club
They used to break out the mirrors in Joyzee many moons ago, and one time the Parsons (privatized company, but PAID FOR by the STATE, unlike here in Pennsyltuckey where it is ALL on OUR dime, and does not even save that much in taxes!!) worker wanted to fail me for not having catcons on my '00 Z28, even after I showed him the actual FACTORY, LEGAL, installed on the assembly line, catcons from the top and under the car!! [mad]
(I did have a legal, aftermarket, SLP catback on the car at that time.)

I let him send my car to the end of the lane for it's fail sticker, but went inside the manager's office to vociferously protest, and DEMAND that they come out an let me PROVE that the factory catcons are there, in the factory locations.
They did, and I got a pass sticker. ;)
This is crazy to hear! In Oregon we have CA emissions but as long as you aren't coming in super loud and stinky they literally just plug into OBDII and you are off all for a $21 fee...

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
At which point you could put a BUILT used, or maybe even an upgraded aftermarket long block into the car!! LOL
Keep in mind the lawyer is only required when you file suit. And IF you win the car manufacturer pays your lawyer per M-M. Lose you pay them.The arbitration is free and no lawyers allowed. If you have a case you don't need a lawyer, just the paperwork on the parts in dispute.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is crazy to hear! In Oregon we have CA emissions but as long as you aren't coming in super loud and stinky they literally just plug into OBDII and you are off all for a $21 fee...
It like this in So Cal now too. Only older cars get put on the dyno and have sniffer in the tailpipe. Anything made in the last ten years just gets hooked up to an OBDII scanner logged into the state computer. If your ECU shows all clear no checks your good to go minus the Fee which is higher than $21 here.

Oh and first 5 years are test free.

Its all a scam on CARBā€™s part to get older cars off the road. They have this built in mindset that if its older it pollutes more. Whether thats a rather broad assumption or true its how they operate.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It like this in So Cal now too. Only older cars get put on the dyno and have sniffer in the tailpipe. Anything made in the last ten years just gets hooked up to an OBDII scanner logged into the state computer. If your ECU shows all clear no checks your good to go minus the Fee which is higher than $21 here.

I will never understand why in North Carolina one has to get a inspection every year even with a brand new car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Its all a scam on CARBā€™s part to get older cars off the road. They have this built in mindset that if its older it pollutes more. Whether thats a rather broad assumption or true its how they operate.
Yeah, cars less than four years old here and makes sense as they will obviously unlikely have emissions issues.. But I heard they pop the hood and look for mods in Cali?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I will never understand why in North Carolina one has to get a inspection every year even with a brand new car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that is straight dumb, cars less than five years old are unlikely to have emissions issues, so it makes sense not to do them on these newer cars.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, cars less than four years old here and makes sense as they will obviously unlikely have emissions issues.. But I heard they pop the hood and look for mods in Cali?

They will if you roll up in a loud, racerboy car. Otherwise, probably not.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

There is no reason to pop hood for mods unless you have something blatantly obvious going on. Most smog guys just do their job plug in the computer it passes your good.

A lot of smog guys are car guys as well . They will not bat an eye at having an exahust system, again if the computer checks off your good.

Only time they pop hoods for mods is A: You are street racing or in area of high street racing activity or B hanging out at sideshows or again participating, as well as areas known for it.

Otherwise you can fly under the radar so to speak with not much issues. I have had and driven SR powered cars and owned a 300 whp RB25DET powered 240sx ( Skyline 6 cylinder turbo engine for that donā€™t know) .

Never had my hood popped never been hassled. In Cali its all about being smart. Yes they do do random mobile sniffer checkpoints sometimes but its usually a result of street racing or side show activity.

steer clear of known problem areas and you are pretty safe.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is no reason to pop hood for mods unless you have something blatantly obvious going on. Most smog guys just do their job plug in the computer it passes your good.

A lot of smog guys are car guys as well . They will not bat an eye at having an exahust system, again if the computer checks off your good.

Only time they pop hoods for mods is A: You are street racing or in area of high street racing activity or B hanging out at sideshows or again participating, as well as areas known for it.

Otherwise you can fly under the radar so to speak with not much issues. I have had and driven SR powered cars and owned a 300 whp RB25DET powered 240sx ( Skyline 6 cylinder turbo engine for that donā€™t know) .

Never had my hood popped never been hassled. In Cali its all about being smart. Yes they do do random mobile sniffer checkpoints sometimes but its usually a result of street racing or side show activity.

They want to take your money, pass you, and let you be on your way. They'd like your repeat business.

If you don't pass, they'll tell you why, hope you fix it, and pass you next time. They're not cops.

It's in their best interest to pass you with no hassle.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They want to take your money, pass you, and let you be on your way. They'd like your repeat business.

If you don't pass, they'll tell you why, hope you fix it, and pass you next time. They're not cops.

It's in their best interest to pass you with no hassle.
Epseciallly true given how much the state charges them for their licenses and equipment.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Or even get smarter and just not live in Cali all in all and not have to worry about that kind of garbage.[biggrin]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
No emissions here....we figured out how much of a joke it was here....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Ya not enough population to create a smog issue plus it just blows away there. Here it gets trapped by mountains and just hangs in the air.