Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How early is too early for big turbo?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ya not enough population to create a smog issue plus it just blows away there. Here it gets trapped by mountains and just hangs in the air.

No....No..... that's all the dope smoke from that emerald triangle you guys have up north a little ways. It must have drifted down south and got ya alittle wacky.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anywho it's never too early for a Turbo....just as long as it's not overspun!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I will never understand why in North Carolina one has to get a inspection every year even with a brand new car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Same here in Pennsyleffingvania.
This car had less than 5K miles on it when the first annual inspection was required, from BRAND new, off the delivery truck.
It is also ALL on OUR dime here, EVERY year (along with a yearly registration fee as well), and if one does not get a coupon/special from the privatized shop doing the inspection, it can cost up to $100.00/year at some shops, for both the safety and emissions stickers (we get TWO separate stickers here).

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ya not enough population to create a smog issue plus it just blows away there. Here it gets trapped by mountains and just hangs in the air.
When I lived in Cali, I was glad for all the smog regs. I remember how bad it would get back in the 80s.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
When I lived in Cali, I was glad for all the smog regs. I remember how bad it would get back in the 80s.
Oh ya people rip on CARB myself included but for the most part smog regs have cleaned up our air here quite a bit. Out of state residents don’t understand. It was a lot worse. I remember going to Disneyland when I was 15 and my lungs hurt. Its not nearly not as bad now.
There are just certain people in the organization now that are overzealous.

As far as bigger Turbo’s go I am a person who beleives in learning your car in stages. Run it for awhile stock or with some tunes. Get to know the car then decide if you want or need more.
If warranty is a concern then don’t. If your not worried then do what you want.

I thought about going to larger Turbo on my new car after I spend a year or so with it with a Tune. Truth be told its wonderful to speculate but until I have done that first step i am just that speculating.
I may wind up happy and not feel the need.

I have had some decent HP to wieght ratio cars. A lot of it starts to get a little crazy on the street and changes the whole feel of the car.
If your a drag racer going to the strip or building a serious track machine I get it.

Yet all the same otherwiese....Do it in stages and learn.

So I thought about this.

Push this car to it's maximum as is, then jump to big turbo. Don't forget more power requires more traction and braking. In theory your brakes should be able to stall the car.

If you are really inclined, and want this to be a track monster. Go for a built motor at the same time? :p

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK guys, emission controls is a topic even more divisive than politics, so let's be nice... personally I think the weather/climate/topography DOES create a need to do something in some places, we need to be able to have clean air to breathe so I don't mind running a high flow cat if it burns off most of it, as I definitely don't feel all cars should have to be PZEV level when every car puts out CO2 anyway... When you can get a nice high flowing catted DP from Whoosh for cheaper than many boutique brands test pipes that will only cost you 5-10 HP even with a BIG turbo I say it's the right thing to do... but to each their own, I'm not going to get into ethical debates, I like to think compromise is best...

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I agree, no one will ever convince me that you'll notice 5-10 hp on the street where most people will do 95% of their driving while polluting 100% of the time running catless. I makes zero logical sense!! If Bugatti can get 1000 clean hp out of their cars, there is no good excuse for running without a cat!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Besides being a car guy, I also enjoy nature, wild life, the ocean and clean air. I do my part and what I can. This catted ST smokes non-catted ones, LOL.
My 1985 e28 BMW failed smog last week, so I'm dealing with that right now to get it up to spec.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No....No..... that's all the dope smoke from that emerald triangle you guys have up north a little ways. It must have drifted down south and got ya alittle wacky.

Shiiiiiiit, the whole west coast is legal now, what are you talking about some triangle? That shit's done obsolete! [hihi]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes! Thankfully they reformulated the gas too, it was like taking so many millions of cars off the road a day! And when you can get e85 to run e30 with a high flow cat, you can run clean and with big power!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Besides being a car guy, I also enjoy nature, wild life, the ocean and clean air. I do my part and what I can. This catted ST smokes non-catted ones, LOL.
My 1985 e28 BMW failed smog last week, so I'm dealing with that right now to get it up to spec.

Insert drool emoticon here......... What setup is that???

danbfree

3000 Post Club
DHM (Deadhook Motorsports), the turbo in the photo is a Garrett GT2560R, it has since been swapped to a GTX2860 Gen 2. Here's the kit next to the OE setup.

Damn, I missed out on the DHM stuff, when did they go under with that mess of bad oil lines? if that's what it was... I know at the end they had resolved their failure issues but not in time to save the company, is this correct? Anyway, gorgeous setup, love the manifold especially, I'd love to get an X47R to keep low lag stock spool and PLENTY of power for our little car...

koozy

3000 Post Club
Damn, I missed out on the DHM stuff, when did they go under with that mess of bad oil lines? if that's what it was... I know at the end they had resolved their failure issues but not in time to save the company, is this correct? Anyway, gorgeous setup, love the manifold especially, I'd love to get an X47R to keep low lag stock spool and PLENTY of power for our little car...
Overall DHM turbo kits are stout, no one has cracked a manifold or other hard part that I'm aware of. The only problem that has surfaced is the turbo oil drain tube cracking and leaking for a few people. When this issue came about the company had already shut down doing business and was in the bankruptcy process, so they were not able to rectify the issue. If you have time and are interested, you can read about DHM closing here. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14442-DeadHook-Motorsports-Bankruptcy-Info-and-Updates

To answer the OP, I purchased my car paid in full up front. I had the title for the car before I received the registration for it. I waited until I was acquainted with the car and got a few upgrades in stages, so that I could feel the affects of the changes. Since I got a 2014MY I was also waiting for the aftermarket to develop parts. Warranty because of modified parts was not a concern, as I accepted the responsibility of paying to play. The FiST aftermarket has evolved, but I have no major remorse or regrets for my decisions, which is influenced by my longterm goals for this car.

There were some bad parts and parts that I bought and sold because of upgrades, but nothing major. I've listed these parts here in my build thread. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Overall DHM turbo kits are stout, no one has cracked a manifold or other hard part that I'm aware of. The only problem that has surfaced is the turbo oil drain tube cracking and leaking for a few people. When this issue came about the company had already shut down doing business and was in the bankruptcy process, so they were not able to rectify the issue. If you have time you can read about DHM closing here. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14442-DeadHook-Motorsports-Bankruptcy-Info-and-Updates

To answer the OP, I purchased my car paid in full up front. I had the title for the car before I received the registration for it. I waited until I was acquainted with the car and got a few upgrades in stages, so that I could feel the affects of the changes. Since I got a 2014MY I was also waiting for the aftermarket to develop parts. Warranty because of modified parts was not a concern, as I accepted the responsibility of paying to play. The FiST aftermarket has evolved, but I have no major remorse or regrets for my decisions, which is influenced by my longterm goals.
Thanks for the link to that thread, I'd never really stumbled upon the full story... and OP should listen to you as an early owner, you know what you're talking about here!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
DHM (Deadhook Motorsports), the turbo in the photo is a Garrett GT2560R, it has since been swapped to a GTX2860 Gen 2. Here's the kit next to the OE setup.

HA! You can fit 3+ of the factory scrolls inside of that 2560R scroll! LOL [driving] [thumb]