Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Soon to be owner, need expert advice from awesome forum.

Hey everyone,

I am on the cusp of buying a used FiST and have narrowed it down to two cars. I'd love to hear any input you may have. I'm looking for 1-owner, stock cars with the least amount of abuse (obviously). It'll be a second car as I have a F150.

Car 1: 2014 with 11k miles, Recaros, Sunroof. Seems to be well taken care of and lightly used. $14,900. West coast car.

Car 2: 2017 with 10k miles, no options added, certified pre-owned. $16,200 plus fees. East coast car.

I love the options and the little use of Car 1, but it's older. I have been in communicating with both dealers throughout the last week. The guy I've dealt with Car 1 is just more reasonable, less scummy/sales-y, and has a clearer history of the car.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of a rad community!

anticon

I would highly recommend getting something with the Recaros. Also, there were some updates through the years, mainly a stiffer rear motor mount, and rear cross beam I think. There is a thread somewhere discussing the changes over the years.

Personally the slight 1-2k discount from depreciation wasn't worth the idea that somebody else was maintaining and potentially hooning the car, and also missing out on the ST Octane Academy which is an awesome experience and probably worth about 1-2k on it's own.

I got mine in Oregon for just under 19k (we don't have sales tax). I couldn't find any used FiST with a clean title within 500 miles at the time that made it worth going used.

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and advice. I guess you’re recommending a mix of the two- something newer but with Recaros. It seems the Recaros are amazing. I’ve only driven one without but I’m confident they’d work for me as I’m very thin.

Thanks again.

anticon

Thanks for the reply and advice. I guess you’re recommending a mix of the two- something newer but with Recaros. It seems the Recaros are amazing. I’ve only driven one without but I’m confident they’d work for me as I’m very thin.

Thanks again.
I'm 6-2 and 220 lbs. I fit in them fine, it took a little getting used to, but now I don't even notice the squeeze. If I got down to 190 lbs I would probably fit perfectly. However, in tight windy corners they keep me in place amazingly.

Also, I have heard this is the least expensive platform you can get Recaros installed from the factory, which just makes me love them even more.

My main complaint with the seating is that it can't be lowered enough. I can't put the visor down without it completely blocking my view. I am considering buying another visor and modifying it to be shorter.

John9851

1000 Post Club
Welcome, bought my 16 with the standard seats. I sat in one with the Recaro's and didn't like them. They need a breaking in period. I have sat in fellow members seats that are broke in and now I regret not getting them. Standards seats are like driving on a park bench going into turns.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I would highly recommend getting something with the Recaros. Also, there were some updates through the years, mainly a stiffer rear motor mount, and rear cross beam I think. There is a thread somewhere discussing the changes over the years.

Personally the slight 1-2k discount from depreciation wasn't worth the idea that somebody else was maintaining and potentially hooning the car, and also missing out on the ST Octane Academy which is an awesome experience and probably worth about 1-2k on it's own.

I got mine in Oregon for just under 19k (we don't have sales tax). I couldn't find any used FiST with a clean title within 500 miles at the time that made it worth going used.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

Besides the RMM, the '16+ have a better head cooling design, tweaked suspension, better axle seals and Sync3... but have some cheaper interior bits on the negative side.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
At this point in time you can score a Recaro equipped 17 or 18 for under 20k if you know what your doing . I went down the looking at used low miles and CPO road for a minute. In the end i settled on ordering a 2018 which is about to arrive. Orang Spice Smoke storm Recaros Ebony wheels amd I managed to get the price down to $19600 before tax and license.

Mind you thats $2900 in options. Which would put the car at 16,600 base. Some have even gotten base models for a little less albeit with higher interest loans or qualifed for more discounts.

Point is it was just not worth only saving 3-4k max for a depreciated value car with miles om it I had no idea about.
There have been occasional great deals here on the forum, low mileage well documented driving habits etc.. but those are few and far between.

Oh and ya get the Recaros.

I would highly recommend trying to test fit the recaros, they are absolutely not for everyone. Like others are saying, it may be worth it to try to find a new on on a dealer lot that you can get a deal on, especially if it's been sitting for some time. You may pay a few grand more, but it should last you longer and you know the history beyond a doubt. Sync3 is almost worth getting a newer car itself as the MyFordTouch system in 14s and 15s is janky af, granted you can swap it out if you are determined enough.

anticon

At this point in time you can score a Recaro equipped 17 or 18 for under 20k if you know what your doing . I went down the looking at used low miles and CPO road for a minute. In the end i settled on ordering a 2018 which is about to arrive. Orang Spice Smoke storm Recaros Ebony wheels amd I managed to get the price down to $19600 before tax and license. Mind you thats $2900 in options. Which would put the car at 16,600 base. Some have even gotten base models for a little less albeit with higher interest loans or qualifed for more discounts.

Point is it was just not worth only saving 3-4k max for a depreciated value car with miles om it I had no idea about.
There have been occasional great deals here on the forum, low mileage well documented driving habits etc.. but those are few and far between.

Oh and ya get the Recaros.
I will say for as long as I can remember I always said I would NEVER by a new car because of depreciation, however this car was the exception.

There are three Recaro equipped FiSTs in Oregon for about 20k at the site below. Obviously this is prior to any sales tax or fees. These have been sitting a few months as I have been watching them. That is a significant increase from your price point though.

https://www.sthelensfordoregon.com/cars-for-sale-warren-or.html?Model=Fiesta&Trim=ST

I will say that as soon as I got mine I got the modification bug and started dropping more and more money into it, so you may want to account for that too. The first thing is the paint will chip very easily so if you don't want chips either get really good with a touch up pen or plan to spend some money on some PPF. Also the stock summer tires are not good in below freezing weather, so plan on getting some all-seasons or winter tires... might as well get some wheels at the same time... and it goes on and on.

OP
B
Thread Starter #15
I appreciate all the feedback, guys. All great points and the new vs. used situation will be considered more. I've been in a bad habit of buying new cars in the last few years (WRX, FJ, Tacoma, F150), and inevitably swapping again. Now that I have a truck and I'm going for the second car I wanted to save as much as possible. That said, over time and peace of mind, maybe a few thousand shouldn't be spared.

I'm tempted more so with the Recaro package. I am 6'3 185 lbs. Seems like it would be a good bet.

Thanks again everyone.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I'm not a tall dude so I can't comment on headroom but the sunroof cars do have less headroom. Ideally my car would have Recaros and no sunroof but that's hard to find. Between the two you're looking at, I'd probably get the 2014. The money you save can be used to upgrade the car and at that point you will have negated any late-model changes anyway.

OP
B
Thread Starter #17
I'm not a tall dude so I can't comment on headroom but the sunroof cars do have less headroom. Ideally my car would have Recaros and no sunroof but that's hard to find. Between the two you're looking at, I'd probably get the 2014. The money you save can be used to upgrade the car and at that point you will have negated any late-model changes anyway.
Yeah, true. I just found a local leftover '17 for $18,100 with Recaros and no sun roof. You guys got me turning on the new one.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Yeah, true. I just found a local leftover '17 for $18,100 with Recaros and no sun roof. You guys got me turning on the new one.
Get that one. You can still do the ST Octane Academy with the new one and that's the Holy grail setup imo (Recaro but no sunroof). And the peace of mind of a new unmolested vehicle with warranty is nice.

New is good, barely used is better (for savings involved). As for the Recaros and headroom: I am 6'2" and fit with plenty to spare in my non-sunroof FiST, so you should be fine. It seems I have the same build as you and they fit me great. I have set in the standard seats and would never consider switching over. Either way, you will love the FiST, there hasn't been a time where I have gotten into mine, turned on that sweet ignition, and pulled away not smiling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk