Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone using slicks or near slicks for Autocross?

Under local rules If I move to slicks I go up one class - and I an almost beating the next class up times now.

But I have never used or driven a car with slicks before.

Anyone with any experience ?

Any recommended brands or size variations?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
While not "slicks" exactly, I have autocrossed both my Focus and Mustang on DOT race tires. They had some evidence of tread existing, but were shaved. I ran Hoosier R6 tires on the Mustang and a few different sets of BfGoodrich Comp T/A R1 tires on the Focus. The Hoosiers had a long heat up time for autocrossing since they were road racing tires. The A6 was what I needed to run instead. The hardest part of running race tires is the hassle of storing, hauling, installing, and caring for them. Storage and care is vital to keeping the tires working properly. They can't get too cold or too hot in storage. I used to have a nice climate controlled area to store all of my different tires, but when I lost that ability, storing tires has become difficult. As for running them in an autocross or on the track, they were fantastic in every way! It was amazing how much different the car performed on the tires. Braking is where I saw the biggest difference. I could brake far later than I would have ever thought possible when using race tires vs street tires.

A7xogg

I plan to step up to r comps in the future, but I would recommend going to one of those 200tw tires if you never had experience with really sticky tires

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
I am running RE71R's now -- but the treadwear number for the slicks is 40 much grippier.

A7xogg

I am running RE71R's now -- but the treadwear number for the slicks is 40 much grippier.
Make the plunge! Run the a6 or another slick that warms up really fast. YOu might need to upgrade ur suspension though To use those tires to their fullest.

I tripod so much on re71r, that I would fear running slicks due to the increased rollover risk. But I am still at stock ride height