Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel shake while braking at higher speeds

Hey guys, 17 FiST here, just over 10,000 miles on it. Been noticing what I thought was slight pulsating when braking just around town. Today however I took a highway trip and definitely notice a pulsation in the steering wheel when braking over about 60mph. I’ve never autocrossed it. Never dragged it. Just normal around town driving. I did rotate my tires about 5000 miles ago, could they be simply out of balance? If warped and only being 10 months old is that considered warranty work?

Thank you

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Your brake rotors are warped. Get new ones put on problem solved guaranteed. As far as warranty coverage just ask.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
Wonder if that’s a by product of only having 4 lugs, easier to warp the rotors.....

Since your FiST doesn't have a ton of miles, it sounds like someone dropped the ball during your tire rotation service. It doesn't sound like the lug nuts were torqued correctly and uniformly. This means that your rotors have been warping ever since, every time you have applied the brakes.

I would venture to guess that the shop just used an impact wrench to tighten all of your lug nuts instead of properly torquing them to 100 lbs-ft by either using a torque stick or a properly calibrated torque wrench.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's extremely easy to create a lack of parallelism in rotors. Sometimes this happens because of actual warpage, but a lot of brake rotor companies say this comes from embedded pad material, that causes a variation of thickness which gives you the pulsations.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Lots of possible resaon for warped rotors. Indeed using a impact gun and not following star pattern tightening rule of thumb can easily warp rotors. You would be surprised how many shops ans tire places I have seen lower level workers doing these kinds of things. Its saddening but true.

Oh and like others have said it sounds like warped rotors.

I deliver parts to a wide range of mechanics/service techs full time, and they are a mixed bag. Some are well-trained, stellar professionals. On the other end of the spectrum, you have "parts changers" and I wouldn't even trust them to make toast.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I’ve had bad luck with my rotors on my ‘16. I turned them, and that helped for good bit, but the problem came back. Bought new ones, and they’ve been good, for now. FWIW, I occasionally do some aggressive braking.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I deliver parts to a wide range of mechanics/service techs full time, and they are a mixed bag. Some are well-trained, stellar professionals. On the other end of the spectrum, you have "parts changers" and I wouldn't even trust them to make toast.
I wouldn't even give them toast....There are Mechanics and Technicians ......Mechanic's guess & hang parts..... Technician's solve problems and then install parts. I would say that they could fuck up a cup of water instead. That's more proper and yes I swore... as it does show my intelligence to link words together more fluently.[ridinghorse]

I wouldn't even give them toast....There are Mechanics and Technicians ......Mechanic's guess & hang parts..... Technician's solve problems and then install parts. I would say that they could fuck up a cup of water instead. That's more proper and yes I swore... as it does show my intelligence to link words together more fluently.[ridinghorse]
Yeah, like you'd ask for a cup of water and they'd give you seven ounces of seltzer.

OP
S
Thread Starter #16
So update. At dealer right now, they're turning them and doing it under warranty. Glad I'm not paying for it.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It's extremely easy to create a lack of parallelism in rotors. Sometimes this happens because of actual warpage, but a lot of brake rotor companies say this comes from embedded pad material, that causes a variation of thickness which gives you the pulsations.

This. Nobody can get brake rotors hot enough to warp them. It's just glazed on brake pad material from overheating the pads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So update. At dealer right now, they're turning them and doing it under warranty. Glad I'm not paying for it.
I would've made them put new rotors on. I can't believe a dealer is actually turning them.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would've made them put new rotors on. I can't believe a dealer is actually turning them.

I can't believe it either who the hell turns rotors anymore?