Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JUDGEMENT FREE cheap tire discussion - Want to upsize to some sticky All Seasons

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Yes what he said above, be careful of reviews. Sometimes it's too good to be true.
Check them out HERE and HERE... It's just that they are so...stinking... consistent... over many, many reviews... They pretty much all say that they are amazing for the money, surprisingly just as good as the big brand they had previously, quiet, good handling in wet and dry, etc... I did have some Barum Bravuris, which are cheap Czech tires on a much heavier AWD car and it's true that they need at least 5 more PSI than big brands to handle sharply, but they were pretty good... so I figure these cheap Antares would probably need the extra PSI too... Antares is part of Horizon Tire, which has multiple brand names but is a US company that manufacturers in China.. but yeah, who knows, sometimes there are these gems because there is zero marketing money spent, they just get sold by word of mouth and in volume at tire shops/volume sales...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
I ran milestars before. The chinese milestar.

Their tires are great for tracking. They're infused with way more silicone than regular tires, as a result they are more sticky, durable, and can handle much higher PSI. They're talking about 60-70k mile range, but I would believe ~50k miles for regular use. Still not bad.
Their grip is out of this world (I'm not kidding), and they are rated V for speed (150 mph, which you won't easily reach). Ride quality is softer, tires are lightweight, and they stick to the hand, almost as if it was pure silicone; stopping power in the rain is great.
No visible cracking or tearing in the 2,5 years I've been running them. Wear was minimal at ~22k miles.

Of chinese tires it's said that they run best in the rain, and once they start wearing, they run better on dry roads than brand tires, due to their rain grooves narrowing out (basically becoming slick tires).

They only have a few cons (cons some other chinese tires might have as well):
1- They have very thin sidewalls, making the ride very soft, and rob some power from the engine causing lousy gas mileage. They need about 10PSI more than regular tires, or inflated to their max PSI (45) to have a 'similar' gas mileage (less than 10% lower MPG) and ride quality than brand tires (say 'Goodyear' or 'Michelin' or so). The higher profile tire, the lower MPG and PSI these tires support. The stock ST tire size from them supports up to 45PSI.
2- They don't have a steel belt in them, but more like cloth/fiber, which makes them more susceptible for punctures.
3- Over time the rain grooves narrow out, and will cause more hydroplaning. Especially for a car as light as the ST, and especially if you're looking to widen the tire width! (It wasn't too long when hatchbacks were equipped with much narrower 175/65's or 175/70's).

If you have more than enough power, but need better cornering, I would say give these a try!
I can't find the Milestar in the size I want but noticed on the Antares, their 40 series can handle up to 49 PSI.. I think I would try those set to 40 psi cold, I feel I really could use the added width over just more sidewall with 45 series so my choices in budget tires are limited in this size... But you have definitely helped the most so far with the things to think about on the economy import tires, again, much appreciated!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im currently running 215/40/17 Federal SS595s. Picked them up for like $50/each at Onlinetires.com. I didnt pay for shipping since their warehouse was local to me in SoCal.

The tires are grippy, have slightly softer ride and fill the wheel well better than the 205/40s they replaced. Ive driven roughly 15k on these and they still look relatively beefy/hi tread. They have this crazy howl/bark at the limit so you can hear them when you really push them.

I really wanted some Falken Azenis, but i didnt want to drop the $100+ per tire. I dont really have any regrets.

If i ever get some nice wheels, i'll pick up some semi slicks like Azenis or Advans.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
check out www.onlinetires.com

Tons of low cost options available
That's EXACTLY where I've been looking... tons of off-brand stuff for sure, but also easily has the best overall selection in 215/40/17 as well... I'm leaning toward the super cheap Antares with added PSI or the Ohtsu/Falken FP7000 for a bit more...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have also been looking for tires and was trying to find some information and a few days ago I stumbled onto some of the craziest reviews I have ever read for a product. It was one of the tires you listed.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Antares/Ingens-A1.htm
Those guys and gals over the pond sure are funny. Those tires sound awful in the rain.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
I have also been looking for tires and was trying to find some information and a few days ago I stumbled onto some of the craziest reviews I have ever read for a product. It was one of the tires you listed.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Antares/Ingens-A1.htm
Weird... that's a UK web site and the tire is very much an all-season, not a summer tire too... definitely some crazy reviews there, so strange how everywhere else it's pretty much praised, it's probably a case of that site gets mainly people who complain instead of bothering to report that they work fine... you just have to run at a higher PSI than big brands to get responsiveness with them.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Weird... that's a UK web site and the tire is very much an all-season, not a summer tire too... definitely some crazy reviews there, so strange how everywhere else it's pretty much praised, it's probably a case of that site gets mainly people who complain instead of bothering to report that they work fine... you just have to run at a higher PSI than big brands to get responsiveness with them.
No disrespect in any way. I lived in Oregon for a bit and I know it rains a ton at least on the coast. It rains a lot in the UK and they say the tires suck in the rain.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Those guys and gals over the pond sure are funny. Those tires sound awful in the rain.
For those few people who bothered to complain on that strange site that didn't even get the class of tire right, LOL... Everywhere else, like on SimpleTire.com and over 1000 reviews on Walmart, where people LIKE to complain, it gets pretty good reviews... To each their own, I'm sure you can find a site with bad reviews even for good products...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
No disrespect in any way. I lived in Oregon for a bit and I know it rains a ton at least on the coast. It rains a lot in the UK and they say the tires suck in the rain.
No disrespect taken, I'm here to hear the good and the bad.. I just wonder why it has pretty damn good reviews everywhere else... damn, gonna be hard to decide but leaning toward the Ohtsu/Falken's now...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No disrespect taken, I'm here to hear the good and the bad.. I just wonder why it has pretty damn good reviews everywhere else... damn, gonna be hard to decide but leaning toward the Ohtsu/Falken's now...
I think people in the UK have a lot higher standards. Their cars, tea, and chocolate is certainly better. I would go with Federal all the way just because of the great reviews on this form about them. Your car your choice.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Im currently running 215/40/17 Federal SS595s. Picked them up for like $50/each at Onlinetires.com. I didnt pay for shipping since their warehouse was local to me in SoCal.

The tires are grippy, have slightly softer ride and fill the wheel well better than the 205/40s they replaced. Ive driven roughly 15k on these and they still look relatively beefy/hi tread. They have this crazy howl/bark at the limit so you can hear them when you really push them.

I really wanted some Falken Azenis, but i didnt want to drop the $100+ per tire. I dont really have any regrets.

If i ever get some nice wheels, i'll pick up some semi slicks like Azenis or Advans.
Hmmm, those look good... They aren't $50, they are $65, but still that's cheap and do-able for me, I'll have to keep them on my short list while I shop around!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Hmmm, those look good... They aren't $50, they are $65, but still that's cheap and do-able for me, I'll have to keep them on my short list while I shop around!
Oops my bad, yeah those were like $65 each. Still very affordable and definitely worth the money.

I buy lots of tires from them. Most people look for the cheapest price. I was looking for a compromise between price and performance. These fit the bill.

I can't find the Milestar in the size I want but noticed on the Antares, their 40 series can handle up to 49 PSI.. I think I would try those set to 40 psi cold, I feel I really could use the added width over just more sidewall with 45 series so my choices in budget tires are limited in this size... But you have definitely helped the most so far with the things to think about on the economy import tires, again, much appreciated!
If they don't have the 200/45s that you wish, try looking for a 215 size. They do have a 215 45 R 16,
A 215 40 R16 might also fit (but Milestar don't have them).
Tire calculator can give you some alternatives.
Just make sure it'll fit, before purchasing.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Oops my bad, yeah those were like $65 each. Still very affordable and definitely worth the money.

I buy lots of tires from them. Most people look for the cheapest price. I was looking for a compromise between price and performance. These fit the bill.

I really am leaning that way now for sure, thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk