Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running 205/45/17 tires?

Ok, thanks guys. Been combing through all sorts of threads. Mostly concerned because I'll be on h&r sport springs (not their super sport drop). Just debating on all sorts of wheel and tire choices.
Thanks @raam for the info. I'll dig deeper into the info!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The 215/45/17 SC 2 is a very tall tire and very wide with 8.3 tread width, 8.4 section, 24.7" diameter, a better fit would be the 205/45/17 which is still a very wide tire compared to the sidewall size markings at 7.8" tread width, 24.3 diameter is still quite tall but better matched and 1lb lighter per tire. These wider than spec tires would be better on wider wheels but seem to work very well all things considered, my recommendation would be for at least a 7.5" wide wheel, 8" even better but if you must run a 7" wide wheel then the 205/45/17 is as wide as I would consider, wider is not always faster though it might look faster to some, to much sidewall flex will slow down response, to tall will slow down acceleration and can lengthen braking distance.

I wish the tire companies would use real specs when they build tires so the sidewall numbers actually meant something besides a sometimes great difference between one tire and another, it would be easier for those not used to the fact they use arbitrary numbers for sidewalls, listings, etc, most tires shops do not even get it:(

You are a great well of information haha I was leaning towards a 7.5 wheel and using a 205 width tire. I can get all the other info easily (work at a dealership). Mostly wanted to see or hear from anyone lowered running a wider wheel and tire suggestions since our options are limited.

still not clear on whether I would have any issues on mountune springs, on stock rims, with a 205/45/17

still not clear on whether I would have any issues on mountune springs, on stock rims, with a 205/45/17
I've got some +42 offset 17x7 wheels with 205/45/17 Cooper RS3's mounted in the garage that I haven't mounted since I lowered on Mountune springs and Bilstein B8's. I'll put them on tomorrow and see if I get any rub. To be honest, I hated the 205/45 setup as the car didn't feel the same. Very sluggish in the handling department. I really just want to see what the Riva DTM's look like with the car lowered as I didn't like those either when I put them on.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
215/45/17 Continental WinterContact no problems. Better ride? Definitely Yip. More grip? Definitive Yip. Quicker? Definitely a Nope. Cornering? Nope. Buy them again? Definitely Yip.

I'll have to wear out the OEM set first but next set (to be all-season tires) will be wider with the taller sidewall. There are just too many craters to run the original 40 profile.

Has anyone run the Continental ExtremeContact in 205/45/17 ?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel=ExtremeContact+Sport&partnum=045WR7ECSXL

It seems dimensionally close to the popular Comp 2, only a much lighter tire (same as OE). I've liked Conti's in the past on other vehicles, I just worry about rubbing. I'm on OE Wheels and Suspension. I believe they will fit just fine, but doesn't hurt to ask.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That looks like a very nice tires in the bit longer lasting summer only category and I well known for loving to save weight.

It could come at a cost of a bit softer sidewalls when every conti I have owned was a bit soft for my taste but these could be pretty damn good and a great value with the 320 wear rating.

Just not enough long term or direct testing against other tires yet.

Worth giving them a try? Yup:)

That looks like a very nice tires in the bit longer lasting summer only category and I well known for loving to save weight.

It could come at a cost of a bit softer sidewalls when every conti I have owned was a bit soft for my taste but these could be pretty damn good and a great value with the 320 wear rating.

Just not enough long term or direct testing against other tires yet.

Worth giving them a try? Yup:)
According to reports it's the replacement for the ExtremeContact DW, which is a very popular tire. I guess I'll give them a shot. I have no issues with the OE tires but they are $140 a piece, and if I can improve ride quality even slightly, it's worth it to me.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The wider tire seems to play a role in ride quality, much like the taller, softer sidewall. Having a wider tire makes it easier to "skirt" the parameters of the craters, skillets and potholes. It is also less likely that the entire tire will fit and fall when a direct hit is encountered. It isn't in any way beneficial to weight and quickness of course. I think that a 215/45 is a tad less taller than a 205/45. (?) I have a 215 but as mentioned, it is a snow tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Has anyone run the Continental ExtremeContact in 205/45/17 ?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel=ExtremeContact+Sport&partnum=045WR7ECSXL

It seems dimensionally close to the popular Comp 2, only a much lighter tire (same as OE). I've liked Conti's in the past on other vehicles, I just worry about rubbing. I'm on OE Wheels and Suspension. I believe they will fit just fine, but doesn't hurt to ask.
It also has a much more (summer) performance oriented (looking, at least) tread pattern than the ever popular on here SC2s, IF that means anything at all, or actually has any bearing on lateral grip, and turn-in (despite the possibly "soft" side walls). ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran continental extreme Dws on my Typhoon.....loved the grip....will be buying another set for the Ty....might try Michelin pilot sport 2s for the fist in a different size or get a pair of DWs extremes. It's got Michelin a/s 3s on it now. They are ok....cant go through snow for poop though....spin in the cold. Got some winter Pirellis.....they will sit in the garage till next winter.

Those are about twice what I like to pay for tires. Too rich for my blood.
Suggestions for a reasonable priced replacement? I'm starting to look. Would like to get something that won't wear out in 20k, and won't cost an arm & leg.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You looking for a "sport" tire with grip, or a everyday road tire with longevity (but still decent grip)?
Can you have your cake and eat it too? [big_grin] I scored some winter tires for the years we do get snow so I can buy a summer only. But I'm not a guy that can afford tires every 10-15k no matter how awesome the grip is. Single income, 4 kids = practical choices.

Can you have your cake and eat it too? [big_grin] I scored some winter tires for the years we do get snow so I can buy a summer only. But I'm not a guy that can afford tires every 10-15k no matter how awesome the grip is. Single income, 4 kids = practical choices.

Ok, what I would go with is:

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) $67/ea. Probably a 50-55k mile tire

Riken RAPTOR ZR $63/ea. Probably a 30k mile tire

If you're looking for a more name brand tire:

Hankook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 about 50k mile tire $73/ea.

Ok, what I would go with is:

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) $67/ea. Probably a 50-55k mile tire

Riken RAPTOR ZR $63/ea. Probably a 30k mile tire

If you're looking for a more name brand tire:

Hankook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 about 50k mile tire $73/ea.

Those Riken's are made by Michelin. Not much on the interweb but there were a couple of post that said they were a pretty damn good tire?!?

Any run the MPSS 205/45/17? Stock suspension and tires. Costco says they won't install them. They said they are over 3% and will rub. Are they wrong?