Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running 205/45/17 tires?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok, what I would go with is:

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) $67/ea. Probably a 50-55k mile tire

Riken RAPTOR ZR $63/ea. Probably a 30k mile tire

If you're looking for a more name brand tire:

Hankook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 about 50k mile tire $73/ea.

Those are all treadwear warranties.....you will want a tire that's in the 400-500 range ....not to hard and not too soft....ive got 28k on my Michelin from the factory they are about 5/32 left.

Those are all treadwear warranties.....you will want a tire that's in the 400-500 range ....not to hard and not too soft....ive got 28k on my Michelin from the factory they are about 5/32 left.
I didn't see any treadwear warranties listed on the page I was looking at. I was just guesstimating based on the the treadwear/traction/temp rating. 1st and 3rd tire have 500 A A. 2nd has a 300 AA A.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Tread wear is almost always the lowest I can find but the best tire in the category, I just do not drive enough as retired to worry about wear rates but want the best performance I can get.

Riken a relatively new company and seemingly not well proven yet but low in cost.

A rule of thumb I have gone by that worked the best is that you get what you pay for, pay to little, get to little, pay to much, not a good value, somewhere in the mid to upper mid is almost always the best deal.

Another point is if you buy a tire on closeout, same as a wheel, need a replacement then you need all four!

Not sure the one you are looking at is on closeout.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Tread wear is almost always the lowest I can find but the best tire in the category, I just do not drive enough as retired to worry about wear rates but want the best performance I can get.

A rule of thumb I have gone by that worked the best is that you get what you pay for, pay to little, get to little, pay to much, not a good value, somewhere in the mid to upper mid is almost always the best deal.
I also think the same as that first point above, and look for the lowest tread wear ratings I can find that are not actual, real R compound (under 100 tread wear ratings) TRACK tires, for all-around summer street use. ;)

The second point would be vehemently debated by some of the Federal 595 (in it's many various iterations) users on here.
Whether or not they possess YOUR sensitivity to a given tire's (or the differences between them); ultimate grip, breakaway characteristics, slip angle tolerance, sharpness of turn-in response, etc, is debatable, but THEY mostly seem to love them REGARDLESS of their 'bargain basement' price. [dunno]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Just wanted to confirm: MPSS 205/45/17 will fit on stock suspension?
If there is an issue it would be at the rear. Looking at the driver side wheel there is a body to bumper seem at the 2-3 o'clock position. If the felt liner has dropped a little it would rub there. You can knock it back. I had some rub with 215/45R17 under full suspension travel there and ONLY there.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If the Federal was made in 225/45 or 50/15 I would give them a try and since I sold my race tires last fall I have 6 spare 15x9 wheels so I could do back to back testing with the Rival S then I could know for sure how well they compare, would be great to save that kind of money on tires!

Any rubbing on the spring/dampers because I want to run Cobb springs and the b8 dampers on svt 5 spokes and 205/45/17

Any rubbing on the spring/dampers because I want to run Cobb springs and the b8 dampers on svt 5 spokes and 205/45/17
I am running cobb springs, stock wheels and 205/45/17 tires, almost no rub at all

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If the Federal was made in 225/45 or 50/15 I would give them a try and since I sold my race tires last fall I have 6 spare 15x9 wheels so I could do back to back testing with the Rival S then I could know for sure how well they compare, would be great to save that kind of money on tires!
You would put a 205/50 on a 9" wide wheel?!?! [crazyeye]

That would have to be one ridiculously W-I-D-E 205 in actual tread and AND section width!!

(I know you meant a 225/50-15, just busting ya! ;) )

Last edited:
Reviving this discussion a bit. I thought about 205/45/17 on stock wheels with the h&r super sports (2" drop almost all around). I figured.. (depending on the maker of the tire) I could up the aspect ratio just a bit and not go to a 215 and be okay but I haven't found many threads with this specific combo.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Stock is 205/40.
You can run 215/45 on stock setup.
Based upon that, 205/50 might work.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm
Note: Clearance parameters are not actual for our vehicle.
Looks like there's going to be a 2% increase in diameter over 215/45 and 7% over stock.
I thought a 5% increase over stock was risky but works.
7% increase over stock could be rubbing... dunno. The old "10% minimum overhead" rule of engineering may or may not apply...

Ugh, that's the dilemma I'm facing as I'm running on Swift Spec R springs which lower the car 1" around. I have 17" by 7 1/2" & the stock Bridgetone 205/40/17 rubber but I want to get something like 215/40/17, 215/45/17 or 205/45/17. All michelin tires. Can anyone tell me if they currently run any of these configurations on Swift springs? I don't want bro science as it'd be an expensive proposition if I listen to hearsay, thanks in advance & I'm hoping I explained myself thoroughly.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Michelin does not make anything in a 215/40-17, at least nothing available in THIS country. [:(]

IF they made the Pilot Super Sport in that size, they'd be on my summer wheels as we speak. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
An idea, best bet is find someone at a nearby meet this Summer who's willing to let you experiment with their wheel/tire setup.

Just wondering, with 205/45/17...

Does it affect the Tire Pressure Monitoring system?

Does it change how much air you fill each tire?