Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running 205/45/17 tires?

I need a meatier tire but am unsure if a 45/17 will fit without rubbing. If anyone can help me out please do!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If you are running stock suspension and stock wheels there shouldn't be any issues.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I need a meatier tire but am unsure if a 45/17 will fit without rubbing. If anyone can help me out please do!
Yes they have been no issue though I am on BC coilovers not sure if the stock front struts make a difference

Attachments

I'd read that it is bad to run a diameter more than 3% larger than stock. And a 205/45r17 clocks in at 3.4% larger according to the online wheel calculators. I guess the concerns are probably to do with suspension interference and more so with braking ability. But maybe it can affect wheel bearings or hub assemblies too?

It sucks because I would have run 45s on the stock rims if it wasn't discouraged. I would have liked the more comfortable ride while keeping the stock rims plus the better fuel mileage. So I ended up running 45s on 16" rims instead. I might try 50 series on the 16s next.

Glad to hear there hasn't been any problems for Rodmoe so far. I wonder if it would be more of an issue with auto cross or track driving due to the more extreme stresses on the components.

Any suspension experts out there with some insight?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I think the real concern (and it's minor) at around 3% is just speedo error and gearing changes. If nothing is rubbing I don't see it causing any kind of damage.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I ran a rolling diameter (~24.5 in) a tide more then 3% of the stock rolling diameter and I will have to recommend against, the gearing change shall we say made it a bit....sluggish, but highway cruise returned better MPG lol.

I am now running 195/55/R15 on 15X6.5, its very close to the stock rolling diameter, it feels so good now!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
No Problem.. They all feel good to me the 205/45/17 or the 205/50/15 or the 195/55/15 snow or the stockers all work and all feel good for what they are . I have not noticed any ill effects on anything car wise but with 4 sets of tires and wheels my pocketbook is whining .. lol

I just put 205/45-17 Continental DWS's on mine. I've had the Michelin A/S 3's on a 2012 GTI and they're great tires, but I needed something that does a little better on the snow and ice.

The difference in ride quality is very apparent and it does give up a bit in steering sharpness, but not a lot. Since I don't drive 10/10's much, it's a good trade-off for me. As far as the size difference, it only amount to about 2 MPH at 60, so I can live with that. The 45's also fill out the fender well quite nicely.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
205/45/17 works just great, not sure on stock power how the gearing might come into play but on a bit more than stock, no worries at all.

What type of tires are you looking for, all season, summer only, etc.....?

My setup for the street is 205/45/17 PS A/S3 and they are great and never rub on 17x7 42mm wheels, at least after I trimmed the fender to bumper mounts for my race tire setup so you might have to do that but a pretty easy job.

I am running 205/45/17 on 7" 42et I and have had zero rubbing, but I just just ordered a set of eibach springs so I will update once I get them installed.

my snow tire setup is a 205/45 on some older focus SVT wheels and I had some pretty decent rubbing in the rear only. the brand are continental extreme winter contact. and the major area that rubbed was on the felt wheel cover in the rear (towards the rear bumper) usually over bumps etc. after one winter I have pretty decent holes on both sides of the felt wheel covers. going to have to do some surgery next winter and cut those sections out.

my snow tire setup is a 205/45 on some older focus SVT wheels and I had some pretty decent rubbing in the rear only. the brand are continental extreme winter contact. and the major area that rubbed was on the felt wheel cover in the rear (towards the rear bumper) usually over bumps etc. after one winter I have pretty decent holes on both sides of the felt wheel covers. going to have to do some surgery next winter and cut those sections out.
Maybe because of offset of those wheels or possible suspension mods?

My autocross setup is Dunlop Direzza Zii's 215/45/17 on stock springs and dampers. I use SVT Euro wheels and I do not rub even under hard braking and cornering.

My autocross setup is Dunlop Direzza Zii's 215/45/17 on stock springs and dampers. I use SVT Euro wheels and I do not rub even under hard braking and cornering.
I am currently running the same wheels but unsure as to getting a slightly wider wheel (7.5?) and using 215 or 205. Looking to get PSS. Lowering on H&R springs next week.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
As posted many times you want to look up the actual specs for any tire you are looking into, not sidewall generic size markings which can be very misleading, some tires are far wider in tread width and or sidewall width and the diameter can be quite different than the size calculators made lead one to believe.

That said, I ran 205/45/17 Mich PS3 AS tires which are quite wide for a 205 on 17x7 +42 for my AS tires, lowered as far as the geometry allows for proper setup which is not real low.

They rode like a brick and were very noisy so I gave the tires to my daughter, sold the wheels and went to 205/50/15 Nitto NeoGen on 15x8, an even wider 205, car rides incredibly better, far less noise, excellent grip, like them better than the Mich which where were supposed to be the best AS tire made.

Sam4

215/45/17 BF Goodrich Sport Comp2 just went on last week. Very minor rub when hitting a road defect like a poorly placed drain grate or tight parking lot turns. No plans for lowering this car, and they'll be worn out in less than 25K anyway!