Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Deer Park
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting tuned with X47R, getting knock.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good evening folks.

I am nearing the end of tuning on my x47 setup. On Eastern Washington 92 octane I am hitting right below 250 HP per Virtual Dyno, but I am seeing knock pretty consistently across the cylinders. Mods are in my profile but a quick and dirty are:

CPE intake -> x47 (with IWG75, Pumaspeed intake pipe, GFB DV+) -> Stock hotside -> Whoosh Intercooler -> Stock coldside
    Stock exhaust manifold -> Mountune Catted DP -> Thermal R&D exhaust

I changed out spark plugs to 1 step colder just to see = No change
    I changed to several different gas stations and brands = No change

Ideas on how I can squeeze more out of this? Would changing out the hotside help? (either full or just the metal part ala mountune)

Datazap example log

Senior Member 359 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Spring
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you doing your own tuning? Your ignition corrections are mostly all positive so I think you're right on the money. Yes, you are getting knock but that's the whole point of tuning for maximum performance - Give it as much timing as she'll take without knocking. Once it detects knock it dials back the timing.

Member 98 Rep Points

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Austin
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

A knock count of 3 isnt excessive. Ive seen it on the stock tune. Knock counts over 5 need attention.

Medals
    City
    JD
    State
    PR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

It doesn't look that bad imo, it still need some adjustments after 5k but it looks good.
    Airflow mass almost 29, looks good imo
    2015 Performance Blue Fiesta ST, Recaros, Sunroof
    Cobb AccessPort (custom tune), NGK LTR7IX-11 (1 step colder), Resonator Delete, Turbosmart EM Plumb-back, Ramair blue intake silicone hose
    Velossa Tech Big Mouth Performance Blue, Ramair crossover pipe gold taped, Whoosh hotside J charge pipe, Whoosh Blue Silicone charge hoses , Whoosh symposer delete
    PowerFlex RMM inserts, Poweflex Motor and Transmision bushing inserts, Damond Oil Catch Can w/VTA & nylon sleeves, ST200 Airbox with Ramair filter
    Hawk 5.0 brake pads, Mishimoto radiator hoses, LaminX headlight protectors, OEM all weather mats inc/ trunk, Maxon Design front lip v2, CPE FMIC
    Boomba short throw tranny kit, Boomba tranny solid bushings, Rota titans Gold 17x7.5 , Mountune Radiator, TB Performance stage 3 braces

Medals
    City
    Deer Park
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotcha, thanks for the info folks. I am not doing the tuning, but my tuner is not the quickest to respond so I am doing as much research / data gathering as I can myself. 250 was always my goal but I was hoping to have headroom and to have 250 as the safe tune.

Senior Member 776 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Blaine
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kivnul View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the info folks. I am not doing the tuning, but my tuner is not the quickest to respond so I am doing as much research / data gathering as I can myself. 250 was always my goal but I was hoping to have headroom and to have 250 as the safe tune.
    Who is your Tuner?
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Vendor Premier Vendor 136 Rep Points pwnall1337's Avatar

Medals
    City
    San Antonio
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't comment on your tune, however if you wanna go stratified just reach out to me on facebook.

The knock you're seeing is from a combination of too much timing/boost for your fuel quality.
    2017 Fiesta ST x47r, nitrous, 4 port aux fuel, e50, fbo

Check out our $320.99 Fiesta ST Intercooler Special! Additional coupon code available. PM for code

Official Pumaspeed USA retailer. pwnallperformance.com (Don't see something, PM for quote)

Medals
    City
    Deer Park
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnall1337 View Post
    I can't comment on your tune, however if you wanna go stratified just reach out to me on facebook.

The knock you're seeing is from a combination of too much timing/boost for your fuel quality.
    Currently using stratified actually. I was hoping there was something I was missing that would allow me more wiggle room. Most likely Alex will cut boost a bit to bring things under control and we will be finished.

Senior Member 191 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Tigard
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kivnul View Post
    Currently using stratified actually. I was hoping there was something I was missing that would allow me more wiggle room. Most likely Alex will cut boost a bit to bring things under control and we will be finished.
    Yeah, because the "92" octane we get in the PNW is actually quite underrated! With just a 93 flash tune and no revisions from Stratified I have ALL positive corrections, OAR stays buried at -1.00 and running at Stratified's full 26 PSI on an otherwise nearly stock car and see only the occasional single knock... So I was going to do a datalog as our fuel appears far closer to 94 than the rated 92, I'm pretty sure our fuel was rated at 92 before they made it e10 and never bothered to re-rate it to at least 93 or change the formula to keep it only 92... How's your supply of e85 over there in Spokane? Here in the Portland area it's sadly hard to find, but still, I would think you should be hitting 280 HP with your setup, AND Stratified is an excellent X47R tuner, so this is pretty strange!
    '17 Magnetic, wheels/calipers - New Feb, '18. Dizzy V2 93/e30 - schmoove daily tune, Stratified V4.0 - 91,93 STuned traction, Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Mojo Mfg short shift kit, drop-in filter w/cold air shroud cutout.

FYI - 92 octane e10 pump premium is very close to if not 93 octane, start with a 93 tune or you're leaving free power on the table over running 91 tunes.

Medals
    City
    Deer Park
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The 92 we get over here (all the fuels really) comes from a single refinery in Montana and I feel it is of a different quality than the 92 on the coast. It appears to be worse than 93. Canned 93 tunes do work quite well but they are still a bit tame to allow for variations in fuel/cars so that they don't get swamped with people with broken cars / complaints. There is zero e85 available here. There used to be a station or two who sold it but with lack of sales and plenty of old engines around these parts everybody is now selling non-ethanol 91 octane if they have the spare tank. This is also one of the reasons I believe the 92 octane listed on the pump is accurate: they are taking 91 and adding the alcohol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast