Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint blistering inside door panel from rust

Noticed the paint inside my door panel was blistering from rust underneath it the other day. How do I go about this? My vehicle is a 2014 with 46k miles so the warranty is out of the question. I did buy it CPO so I have that but I doubt it would cover this. Would fords corrosion warranty cover this at all? I just don’t want the paint to break and give me a massive headache. I also think it’s crappy that a 4 year old car that’s washed weekly has rust forming. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey Koobs, sadly I have the same thing on my 2014 in Tuxedo black.

I did the just did the repairs myself since it is not under warranty and the repair is in a hidden place.
I am not happy that it is happening but it's easy to fix with a dremel w/wire wheel and paint.

If you purchased extra protection it is always worth seeing if they cover the work rather than doing it yourself.

I also have this happening on my Ingot Silver 2014 with 67k. I’m also very disappointed a car this new that has lived most its life in Florida has rust. One thing I’ve noticed is these cars seem to trap moisture in the door jambs more than I’m used to seeing.

From what i understand Ford wont do anything unless there’s a hole.

OP
Koobs
Thread Starter #5
Hey Koobs, sadly I have the same thing on my 2014 in Tuxedo black.

I did the just did the repairs myself since it is not under warranty and the repair is in a hidden place.
I am not happy that it is happening but it's easy to fix with a dremel w/wire wheel and paint.

If you purchased extra protection it is always worth seeing if they cover the work rather than doing it yourself.
Hey man thanks so much for commenting! I’m about ready to do this myself. The paint isn’t cracked yet so I’m not entirely sure how to go about it. I was going to cut the bubble with a razor blade then just go at it with a wire brush, sand it then cover it wit touchup paint. Sound about right? Super disappointed that this happened but what can you do.

OP
Koobs
Thread Starter #6
I also have this happening on my Ingot Silver 2014 with 67k. I’m also very disappointed a car this new that has lived most its life in Florida has rust. One thing I’ve noticed is these cars seem to trap moisture in the door jambs more than I’m used to seeing.

From what i understand Ford wont do anything unless there’s a hole.
For sure man, it’s super disappointing that it’s happening on a car that’s only 4 damn years old. We have a Chevy hhr that’s 12 years old and no sign of this even in a salt belt state. Guess I will repair it myself and keep an eye on it so it doesn’t spread to the front.

Hey man thanks so much for commenting! I’m about ready to do this myself. The paint isn’t cracked yet so I’m not entirely sure how to go about it. I was going to cut the bubble with a razor blade then just go at it with a wire brush, sand it then cover it wit touchup paint. Sound about right? Super disappointed that this happened but what can you do.
If you want to do the repair that lasts: wire wheel it down to metal, lightly sand, use a rust inhibitor primer then paint.

You can do your method but you will likely need to do the repair again in a few years.

OP
Koobs
Thread Starter #8
If you want to do the repair that lasts: wire wheel it down to metal, lightly sand, use a rust inhibitor primer then paint.

You can do your method but you will likely need to do the repair again in a few years.
That’s perfect I didn’t think of that! I will have to buy some and see what I can do. Thanks for the help. I will update with the fix if my dealer says no which I’m assuming will be but it’s worth a try!

This is a common problem that I've seen/heard of across various forums. I've had two fords that have had the exact same issue (blistering and corrosion on the doors, bottom, edges of the sides where the metal is folded over). Both issues were with optional paint colors, tux black and the white tricoat metallic.

We had this same issue with my wife's 2014 Escape. Ford covered it under warranty... this was with the ruby red metallic paint, btw, again one of the premium colors. Had the bubbling on three doors plus the hatch.

FB