Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lock Fob Inside The Car? Possible? Impossible?

I have always believed that it is impossible to lock the car with the Fob inside. Several times I have accidentally tried to lock the car when the Fob was inside the car, and it would not allow it; in fact, it would give me a double-beep warning that something was wrong.
But today my wife took the car and did what I thought was impossible: She locked the car with the Fob inside. I drove to rescue her (thankfully we have two cars and two Fobs) and discovered all doors nicely locked and the Fob still inside. Some Clues: The driver's door was only partially closed (but latched). I believe she pushed the unlock button on the dash prior to exiting, and may have pushed it twice.
The $64,000 Questions:

1) What is Ford's intent? Did they intent to have a fail-safe system so that the car cannot be locked if the Fob is inside the car?
2) What is your experience with this issue?
3) Besides the obvious, i.e.: only lock the car using the Fob, how can this be prevented?
4) Can Ford Roadside Assistance unlock the car (similar to OnStar)?
Thank you in advance!

yepp. has totally happened to me.
went out to start my car (in the winter, was maybe 20* out) forgot something in the house and went back in without the fob.
Came back out and the doors auto locked while it was running and thusly locking the fob in the car.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
But shouldn't you be able to push the button on the door and get Into the car due to it being in such close proximity anyways?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

But shouldn't you be able to push the button on the door and get Into the car due to it being in such close proximity anyways?
I have attempted to do something similar to this by dropping the key right outside the door and then closing it but somehow the fiesta recognizes the absence of the key and gives me a warning on the display. So i believe ford actually spent a little bit of money in regards to this system thus causing it to be pretty accurate.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I have locked myself out with the key in the cubby just ahead of the cupholders. It was running and definitely did not let me back in by pressing either door handle button or the trunk button.

To answer question #3: Don't leave the key in the car. Even when I leave it running, I take the key with me. It never leaves my pocket now. If my dogs are in the car I shut the door all the way and deal with the obnoxious BEEP BEEP, then lock it with the fob. Otherwise I only shut the door halfway until it latches, so it doesn't honk, then I lock it with the fob.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I didn't think it auto locked until you started moving. Good to know.

You know how the hatch unlocks by itself when you open it with the key close even though it's locked?

My girlfriend had her keys in her bag. She put the bag in the trunk and close the hatch. Doors are still locked and now the hatch won't open even though the key is right on the other side. She was saying my car was stupid for doing that... Her car would do the exact same though, but anyway!

The only time my keys are out of my pocket is when I'm home. Fortunately, my car doesn't beep when I leave it running without the keys inside the car, it's a 2014 and my understanding is that only later models do that?

My girlfriend's car (2017 Santa Fe) doesn't let us lock the key by using the button on the handle if the key are inside, but if you lock them using the second remote, it will lock them (my girlfriend always leaves her key in a bag and leave it in the car as aforementioned, so I always have to lock the car with my remote). I assume that the Fiesta is similar to this!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There must be some answer or reason for this.

I, on very many occasions over 4 years and with my '11 Fiesta SES before that, have left the key fob in the car and never had the car lock itself or for that matter was able to lock the car with the fob inside.
This of course was by leaving the car for service at the dealership or for wash and wax at a detail shop.

Dave

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You know how the hatch unlocks by itself when you open it with the key close even though it's locked?

My girlfriend had her keys in her bag. She put the bag in the trunk and close the hatch. Doors are still locked and now the hatch won't open even though the key is right on the other side. She was saying my car was stupid for doing that... Her car would do the exact same though, but anyway!

The only time my keys are out of my pocket is when I'm home. Fortunately, my car doesn't beep when I leave it running without the keys inside the car, it's a 2014 and my understanding is that only later models do that?

My girlfriend's car (2017 Santa Fe) doesn't let us lock the key by using the button on the handle if the key are inside, but if you lock them using the second remote, it will lock them (my girlfriend always leaves her key in a bag and leave it in the car as aforementioned, so I always have to lock the car with my remote). I assume that the Fiesta is similar to this!
odd. I forget my key in my gym bag at least once a month. Each time the hatch refuses to close and the flashes the blinkers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

odd. I forget my key in my gym bag at least once a month. Each time the hatch refuses to close and the flashes the blinkers.
That's what she told me happened and I believed her based on the behavior I know of the car. I see in your signature that you have a 2016 though, they might have changed the behavior for later models as I said mine doesn't beep when I leave the car running without the keys in it, wouldn't surprise me that they also prevent the car from locking the hatch if the keys are there.

I'm trying to avoid this. Has anyone had a duplicate made of the metal key in the fob? I tried at a hardware place but none of the blanks matched the key shape. My idea was to hide the metal key underneath somewhere, old school. Or maybe just surgically implant a fob in me...