Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used 2015 purchasing tips

So I found a ‘15 FiST molten orange inside/out, no sunroof, silver wheels, w 31k miles and asking price of $15.9. It was a previously leased vehicle, doesn’t appear to have open recalls, was obtained by the used car dealer from auction, and I haven’t seen it in person (yet). For the mileage and model year, I think the asking is a bit high and was going to see if they would come down to maybe $14.5 considering what I’ve read people coming away with 2017-2018 models with 0 miles.

Any tips on what areas could be potentially haggled about (assuming they’d be willing to at all)?

Is it worth asking if they’re flexible on the price before I make the drive? I’d be committing most of the day to going over there and don’t want to waste my time...though if everything looks good in person and they’re not willing to budge at all on $, I would be willing to just get it

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So I found a ‘15 FiST molten orange inside/out, no sunroof, silver wheels, w 31k miles and asking price of $15.9. It was a previously leased vehicle, doesn’t appear to have open recalls, was obtained by the used car dealer from auction, and I haven’t seen it in person (yet). For the mileage and model year, I think the asking is a bit high and was going to see if they would come down to maybe $14.5 considering what I’ve read people coming away with 2017-2018 models with 0 miles.

Any tips on what areas could be potentially haggled about (assuming they’d be willing to at all)?

Is it worth asking if they’re flexible on the price before I make the drive? I’d be committing most of the day to going over there and don’t want to waste my time...though if everything looks good in person and they’re not willing to budge at all on $, I would be willing to just get it
Is it private party or dealer, if its dealer not expect a lot of room for negoiation unless they have been sitting on it for at least a month. Dealers get ancy with used cars after a month on the lot. Of course the other problem with dealers of late is they have been real willing to give people too much value for the 2-3 year old car in anticipation of easily reselling it for good money especially if its a CPO.
Also do not expect them to do anything over the phone before even stepping on the lot on a used car. Its not like buying a new car over the internet. I tried to buy several Performance Blue cars up in the bay area at dealers and figured out you need to be there in person. Pictures of used cars do not tell you how clean or not clean they really are.

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Couple questions:

Private party or dealer?
Days on market?
What features are important to you?
-Does it need to be Molten Orange
-Do you want Recaros
-Do you prefer no sunroof?

For the east coast, $15.9K is high for that mileage but from a quick search in your area, it seems closer to reasonable.

I found this option with a quick search:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=d1060&zip=95030#listing=206857971_isFeatured

Also, if you haven't driven one yet - I would test drive it before even bringing up the price. See if they will let you take it for 30 minutes to get a feel for the car.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
It’s a dealer but I get the feeling from my last phone call they weren’t interested in discussing sale details over the phone.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Couple questions:

Private party or dealer?
Days on market?
What features are important to you?
-Does it need to be Molten Orange
-Do you want Recaros
-Do you prefer no sunroof?

For the east coast, $15.9K is high for that mileage but from a quick search in your area, it seems closer to reasonable.

I found this option with a quick search:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=d1060&zip=95030#listing=206857971_isFeatured

Also, if you haven't driven one yet - I would test drive it before even bringing up the price. See if they will let you take it for 30 minutes to get a feel for the car.
Ya, I’m looking for an orange one with recaros. No other features are of importance to me. Test drive at my local dealership in a black 2018 was good but I only really got to accelerate to 45mph once :(

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
[MENTION=8838]Dpro[/MENTION]
Don’t think I’ve been a member of a forum before where people seem to enjoy running used car searches for me ;))
Thanks! I did see that one too. Cost to travel and the time involved make that particular one a second choice, but it looks very good in the photos...

@Battle
i really wish I wasn’t so picky about the car’s color and that ford didn’t drop the molten orange from the line up. IMHO the molten orange is the only color that adds some uniqueness to the car besides the fact that it drives so well. I’m sadly one of those guys who’d be suckered into owning a “unique” vehicle vs the same thing made to appear more vanilla. To each their own i guess.

I’ve read about coolant/fuel pump issues in the 14-15’s and some of the debate about the known mechanical risk. I’ve run the VIN on my car of interest but can’t find the exact month it was built (I read somewhere that may be relevant). I don’t see myself as a gambler, but acknowledge that a used car comes with greater risk of ownership at less initial cost to own, up front (which is gambling, right?).

Tomorrow, I’m going to a local dealer to just trial fit the family into the car, because the smaller cabin size *may* be a significant issue that affects convenience of ownership for me. With 2 young kids, I need to be able to fit AT LEAST 1 of them and their car seat in there for the occasional school/errand run. From watching YouTube, we have less illusions the FiST will be able to handle 2 adults and 2 car seats for any length of time...a little sad about that versatility loss vs my old TDI golf but I wouldn’t be interested in either a VW or Focus. We already have a ‘13 highlander that handles all our current road trips and outings as a foursome. The main plan for the FiST would be primarily a fun commute tool for a single adult but with more versatility than my 990 superduke :)

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
[MENTION=8838]Dpro[/MENTION]
Don’t think I’ve been a member of a forum before where people seem to enjoy running used car searches for me ;))
Thanks! I did see that one too. Cost to travel and the time involved make that particular one a second choice, but it looks very good in the photos...

@Battle
i really wish I wasn’t so picky about the car’s color and that ford didn’t drop the molten orange from the line up. IMHO the molten orange is the only color that adds some uniqueness to the car besides the fact that it drives so well. I’m sadly one of those guys who’d be suckered into owning a “unique” vehicle vs the same thing made to appear more vanilla. To each their own i guess.

I’ve read about coolant/fuel pump issues in the 14-15’s and some of the debate about the known mechanical risk. I’ve run the VIN on my car of interest but can’t find the exact month it was built (I read somewhere that may be relevant). I don’t see myself as a gambler, but acknowledge that a used car comes with greater risk of ownership at less initial cost to own, up front (which is gambling, right?).

Tomorrow, I’m going to a local dealer to just trial fit the family into the car, because the smaller cabin size *may* be a significant issue that affects convenience of ownership for me. With 2 young kids, I need to be able to fit AT LEAST 1 of them and their car seat in there for the occasional school/errand run. From watching YouTube, we have less illusions the FiST will be able to handle 2 adults and 2 car seats for any length of time...a little sad about that versatility loss vs my old TDI golf but I wouldn’t be interested in either a VW or Focus. We already have a ‘13 highlander that handles all our current road trips and outings as a foursome. The main plan for the FiST would be primarily a fun commute tool for a single adult but with more versatility than my 990 superduke :)
You might reconsider the Orange Spice it is a pretty unusual color as it is tri coat amd shifts across the color spectrum pretty dramatically in sunlight to shaded sunlight to bright sun light and then non sunlight. It’s a great Orange.
Again seeing it in person is what really opened my eyes to it.

I really wish I wasn’t so picky about the car’s color and that ford didn’t drop the molten orange from the line up. IMHO the molten orange is the only color that adds some uniqueness to the car besides the fact that it drives so well. I’m sadly one of those guys who’d be suckered into owning a “unique” vehicle vs the same thing made to appear more vanilla. To each their own I guess.
Nothing comes close to the Molten Orange as far as color differences and sheer beauty in sunlight. Green Envy is close. I personally think Orange Spice is hideous, and even in sunlight. I know some people with Orange Spice cars think Molten Orange is bad. Just different tastes. But I anticipate that if you really dig Molten Orange, you won't be much of an Orange Spice fan.

As far as price, not that bad on the West Coast. Our vehicle prices are tough. But like you said $14,500-15,000 would be a good deal.

I really wish I wasn’t so picky about the car’s color and that ford didn’t drop the molten orange from the line up. IMHO the molten orange is the only color that adds some uniqueness to the car besides the fact that it drives so well. I’m sadly one of those guys who’d be suckered into owning a “unique” vehicle vs the same thing made to appear more vanilla. To each their own I guess.
Nothing comes close to the Molten Orange as far as color differences and sheer beauty in sunlight. Green Envy is close. I personally think Orange Spice is hideous, and even in sunlight. I know some people with Orange Spice cars think Molten Orange is bad. Just different tastes. But I anticipate that if you really dig Molten Orange, you won't be much of an Orange Spice fan.

As far as price, not that bad on the West Coast. Our vehicle prices are tough. But like you said $14,500-15,000 would be a good deal.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Well, good news is the car actually passed our car seat test with flying colors. We were able to have both car seats in the back and both of us sit normally in the front (as long as I’m driving). That’s with me being 6’ and she being 5’3”.

The local dealer seemed just itching to sell their only black 2018 on the lot and they were ready to “make it worth my while” to start talking numbers for it. I told them I’m in no hurry but might consider if the price with special offers was low enough to dissuade me from going after a used model. We spoke briefly about any 2018 I’d consider ordering, but I feel they wouldn’t want to spend time with me getting a different model when they are focused on moving their current one...

Plan is to drive over to see the used moltorange and if it just isn’t the cleanest looking car in my opinion or good running, it’s back to the hunt for me.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As you might imagine, I am partial to the Molten Orange as well.
The price does sound ok but since there is only 5K left of the original warranty, I would ask if they can make you a deal on the ESP warranty?
Other than the AC blend door, I have not had any issues with my '14 however, with the cost of electronics in cars today, you might need extra protection.

Dave

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
Any general idea as to what a ESP (e.g. premiumcare policy) would cost for a FiST?

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
So...bought the 2015, though it hardly qualifies as a good deal numbers-wise ($15,7xx asking, $17,4xx otd). Had some clear but small signs of wear/tear, but regardless drives great, and looks brand new when i'm moving 10+mph! Thanks everybody for the advice while I searched. Guess I'll have to post some pics of yet another moltorange FiST some time :)

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So...bought the 2015, though it hardly qualifies as a good deal numbers-wise ($15,7xx asking, $17,4xx otd). Had some clear but small signs of wear/tear, but regardless drives great, and looks brand new when i'm moving 10+mph! Thanks everybody for the advice while I searched. Guess I'll have to post some pics of yet another moltorange FiST some time :)
Congrats! You will love it! Keep us updated on using it for the family. I wouldn’t mind seeing some photos with the car seats installed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you got the orange one. There are enough black/grey/white cars on the road.

I bought my orange 2016 new. Although I kinda prefer the orange on the 2017-2018 more. I really like orange and really don't like red. The molten orange is a red-orange. Looks amazing when clean in the sun. Sadly it's almost never completely clean, and often not in the sun. So a majority of the people who see it in person with their own two eyes call it a red car... What I like about the 17-18 orange is that is unmistakably orange, and seems to still have that deep look of the molten orange. Granted I've not seen one in person, but the pictures make it look quite great. If I knew the orange was changing and saw this picture, I would have waited on the 2017s. I really do love the green ones too. Sadly that was dropped after 2015.

Stolen from the orange spice thread.