Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel Degradation

zanethan

Just ordered an AP and had a question in regards to fuel quality and how quickly it degrades over time. Growing up my Dad was always really big about putting in fuel stabilizer for cars/boats that sat for extended periods of time. Well my FiST doesn't really 'sit' for long periods of time but I typically only burn through a tank a month. With fuel quality being such a big deal once tuned, do you guys think I need to add fuel stabilizer when filling up?

Dont put in as much fuel each fill up ;)

Seriously though, at around ~8 lbs per gallon, its worth it to run less on spirited drives

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Also, a month is not long enough to worry about stabilizing your fuel.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't worry about anything under 3 months.....my Typhoon Sits from Nov. Till almost may with no fuel stabilizer....Its been 10 yrs. Now owning it....I throw the battery into it and it fires right up everytime. I also put fresh gas into the tank right when i call it a season. If it sits for more than 6 months....I roll fuel stabilizer into it. But then again that's just me....keep in mind alot of gas companies put Water displacement additives in their gas already.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My other cars sit longer than that on pure E85 and I never have issues, even with moisture. I've never had any issues with gasoline, except in poorly sealed fuel tanks but that's no fault of the fuel. Just use quality fuel and your FiST will fire up amd run great every time, even after a few months, let alone weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about anything under 3 months.....my Typhoon Sits from Nov. Till almost may with no fuel stabilizer....Its been 10 yrs. Now owning it....I throw the battery into it and it fires right up everytime. I also put fresh gas into the tank right when i call it a season. If it sits for more than 6 months....I roll fuel stabilizer into it. But then again that's just me....keep in mind alot of gas companies put Water displacement additives in their gas already.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
A bit of a side-tracked question. I have a 350z that doesn't get driven anymore. I'm worried about starting it up after having it sit for 10mo. It's in the garage on a battery tender. But I've heard about people spraying oil on cylinder walls of cars that have set a long time to prevent excessive ring wear on first cranks. What do you think?

A bit of a side-tracked question. I have a 350z that doesn't get driven anymore. I'm worried about starting it up after having it sit for 10mo. It's in the garage on a battery tender. But I've heard about people spraying oil on cylinder walls of cars that have set a long time to prevent excessive ring wear on first cranks. What do you think?
I had a 2008 Yamaha R6s sit for 3 years with a single tank of gas. I started it once a month for 1.5 years and then maybe every few months after that. I don't think put stabilizer in it. If I did it was only once. After I fixed it up and got it on the streets again. I filled the tank with new fuel without taking out the old stuff. Ran great till it was stolen 6 months later. I am not saying this is the correct way to store fuel. But it was how my young not know any better self did it. I would just crank it on and let it idle up to temp before putting any load on it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Fuel is a solvent but oxidation is what kills. If you look at the chemical structure of gasoline...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...-30&sk=&cvid=947CD06EFDC84FB8B8DF2881FBE49908
...it is basically a hydrocarbon. I've read some saying that you're better off parking the vehicle on a full tank. Given the chemical structure I'm thinking there may be something to that.

I had a 2008 Yamaha R6s sit for 3 years with a single tank of gas. I started it once a month for 1.5 years and then maybe every few months after that. I don't think put stabilizer in it. If I did it was only once. After I fixed it up and got it on the streets again. I filled the tank with new fuel without taking out the old stuff. Ran great till it was stolen 6 months later. I am not saying this is the correct way to store fuel. But it was how my young not know any better self did it. I would just crank it on and let it idle up to temp before putting any load on it.
Most wear occurs during cold start. Would've been better off just letting it sit... but occasionally crank it over. (hold WOT before and during crank to turn off injectors) I have an '08 R6S and it is a blast to lean that wwaayy over. That actually gets more miles than the car. How'd they grab it? Parking garage or apartment parking lot?

Fuel is a solvent but oxidation is what kills. If you look at the chemical structure of gasoline...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...-30&sk=&cvid=947CD06EFDC84FB8B8DF2881FBE49908
...it is basically a hydrocarbon. I've read some saying that you're better off parking the vehicle on a full tank. Given the chemical structure I'm thinking there may be something to that.

Most wear occurs during cold start. Would've been better off just letting it sit... but occasionally crank it over. (hold WOT before and during crank to turn off injectors) I have an '08 R6S and it is a blast to lean that wwaayy over. That actually gets more miles than the car. How'd they grab it? Parking garage or apartment parking lot?
Mine was stolen from my apartment's parking garage bottom floor. They had to of been watching it because it was covered and in the middle of 3-4 other bikes. But I agree with you, I LOVED riding that bike. I put 32,000 miles on it. I found the broken handlebar lock parts on the ground. So I think they kicked it free and either put it in a van or truck or drove it away. My apartments only had one camera facing the exit of the gate but they wouldn't let me see the tapes. Whatever, I took the insurance money and bought my ST after all my family was telling me to buy something with four wheels. I am looking at picking up a Honda Groom though!!!

Here is the last picture I have of her. Christmas 2015, Girlfriend at the time bought me the Olson slip on. If you haven't picked one up yet, I highly recommend one.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

Less room for moisture to be absorbed with full tank.

Ford Community Posts