Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Fresno
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Eibach Pros with rear Koni STR.Ts - Driving Impressions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know some of this has been said, but this may resonate for a few people which is why i'm posting.

I daily my car, and drive it for my job some times which could mean 200+ mile round trips. I bought the car with eyes wide open, knowing after the test drive that it was a punishing ride on crappy streets. I knew though from experience that it could be fixed.. maybe that's the wrong word because the car is pretty awesome in stock form. I knew it could be modified, yeah.. modified.

I'm not a professional driver by any stretch, but if I had to quantify the handling characteristics and give impressions of driving on some really bad freeways in California, hopefully some of you will find this useful.

Stock:

Response, steering input: 9.9/10 (0 bobtail truck - 10 '08 Porsche 911 Carrera 4s)
    No other car i've driven responds like this one, steering is direct, precise & extremely quick. This car has a knack for putting a smile on your face and I believe this is a large part of it.

Body Roll: 8/10 (0 rolly polly - 10 straight up flat)
    This car is extremely flat in the corners, probably flatter than all the cars i've owned save for my 07 Mustang GT with Steeda springs and Koni yellows on full stiff. That car was harsh and bouncy though, and didn't corner near the way this car does either.

Harshness: 8/10 (0 toyota camry - my full suspension 07 GT mustang)
    Let's face it, this car is a purpose built machine designed to have fun on a track. Not uneven pavement. It will punish you on long drives and is bouncier than most stock cars i've owned.

Eibach Pros w/Koni STR.T (rears):

Response, steering input: 7/10
    This characteristic is affected the most by this setup and I'm a little saddened by it but the end result is worth it though in my opinion. If stock was "darty" this is "quick".

Body Roll: 7/10
    It rolls a bit more, they are softer springs for sure.

Harshness: 7/10
    Subdued, it's still there but very tolerable. It's like the whole experience is turned down from eleven to a less cringing 7, it's still an extreme little hatchback but everything is more palatable for daily use.

Summary:
    I take my kids to school in this car, get groceries, and use it for work. Occasionally i'll find a opportunity to have a little fun and this car pays dividends in that department. I'll go as far as to say this setup doesn't compromise the handling completely but numbs it a bit. If you're going for a certain look and a little more comfort this setup is for you. I am fairly handy, and I did the install on a Saturday morning and waited through 2 tanks of gas through it before posting this as to get a real impression of driving it daily. I couldn't be happier with the look, and the ride is about 90% of where I wanted it to be so i'd consider this a win.

Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you modify anything else in the suspension (i.e. bushings, etc.)? Also curious which tires are you using right now?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Fresno
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
    Did you modify anything else in the suspension (i.e. bushings, etc.)? Also curious which tires are you using right now?

I didn’t do anything other than springs and rear shocks.

My tires are Michelin AS/3+. They were a slight improvement in the ride also. Not enough to make a meaningful difference though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Member 12 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Los Angeles
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are the Michelin AS/3+? How is the grip and turn in compared to the OEM tires?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Fresno
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say they are 85-90% of what the potenzas are performance wise, they are quieter and a little smoother.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Hampton roads
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When those tires wear out, you could get some tires that have great steering imput while riding better than stock. Are those 17's? Car looks nice
    2008 vw rabbit(totaled), 2006 civic si(sold), 2010 vw gti(sold), 2016 fist mishi intake, cobb rmm, vogtland springs, TRS retrofit stuff, Levels intercooler, Mountune Hot side charge pipe, JSTuned with a corn blend, powrflex engine and transmission mouts, tune+ turbosmart wastegate, morimotto led xb fog lights, Turbosmart wee port bov(whoosh kit), ST2 focus st recaro seat upgrade, 16x8 konig dekagram with 205 45 16 sc2

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Fresno
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A7xogg View Post
    When those tires wear out, you could get some tires that have great steering imput while riding better than stock. Are those 17's? Car looks nice
    Yep, plan was to get something with a decent treadwear rating while still being sporty. I think these are a great compromise, we'll see in 20k if they get noisy.

Yeah, 17x7.5 titans. Thanks!

New Member 19 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Baltimore
    State
    MD
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking of ordering a set of the STR.Ts for the rear. I'm currently on mountune springs with stock dampers. I've been through a few different suspension setups so far but there has always been a certain harshness thats remained. Actual bumps feel reasonably controlled (albeit the car is still a bit bouncy), but on otherwise smooth roads cruising the car feels like it has rigid suspension. It transmits a buzziness into the cabin and onto every surface that now after driving this car almost 80k miles is driving me crazy. Wheels are not out of balance as its been there through multiple sets of wheels and tire sets too. The set of konis are cheap enough to warrant trying it.
    '14 Fiesta ST - Bilstein Coilovers (Non-ST), Team Dynamics 16x7 +42 Gloss Bronze, 205/45R16 DZ102, no-pistons pedal spacer, resonator delete, 2J catless downpipe

Senior Member 129 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It shouldn't have a buzziness on smooth roads. Have you tried an alignment?
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpokemd View Post
    I've been thinking of ordering a set of the STR.Ts for the rear. I'm currently on mountune springs with stock dampers. I've been through a few different suspension setups so far but there has always been a certain harshness thats remained. Actual bumps feel reasonably controlled (albeit the car is still a bit bouncy), but on otherwise smooth roads cruising the car feels like it has rigid suspension. It transmits a buzziness into the cabin and onto every surface that now after driving this car almost 80k miles is driving me crazy. Wheels are not out of balance as its been there through multiple sets of wheels and tire sets too. The set of konis are cheap enough to warrant trying it.

Member 24 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    asdfsafd
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey456 View Post
    How are the Michelin AS/3+? How is the grip and turn in compared to the OEM tires?
    But those are OEM, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast