Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stuck factory oil filter

Wtf do they use to torque that damn filter at the factory? It's so tight, I can't even see the rubber seal. I'm at 1250km so I'd like to do my first oil change. So far I tried:

Cup style wrench: slipped like crazy even if it's the right size

Metal strap wrench: It hooked fine but when I applied torque to unscrew, it began to crush the filter instead of unscrew it.

Rubber strap wrench: broke the strap.

I tried to spray penetrating oi on the seal, but it did not seem to do much.

I did not try the "poke a hole with a screwdriver and twist" method because I'm afraid that I'll just rip the filter and be stuck with a real mess.

Anyone else did have a first filter torqued by Hulk?

OP
Alkoran
Thread Starter #3
Thanks a lot! Will have to order this tool online, I did not see anything like that in any shop around.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Wtf do they use to torque that damn filter at the factory? It's so tight, I can't even see the rubber seal. I'm at 1250km so I'd like to do my first oil change.

I did not try the "poke a hole with a screwdriver and twist" method because I'm afraid that I'll just rip the filter and be stuck with a real mess.
When I was 16 I saved up $7000 and bought a used 300zx turbo 1984 model. Epic car, though the A/C never worked no matter what I spent to fix it. The day came to change the oil. My dad attempted to coach me in this process. What a dad. Hulk has previously torqued the filter on that thing so dad pulled out the screwdriver method. One hour later the sun had set, we could not see in the dark; the filter was a horrible mess of gouged, shredded metal; there were metal shards everywhere, blood everywhere from the cuts, oil everywhere, my dad was inventing new cuss words, that filter was reduced to a male thread and had not budged, and I decided I never wanted to be alive anymore. About three days later he somehow had that thing off, I never knew how so.

Get the tool mentioned in the thread by [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION], I bought something very similar to that a few decades ago and it has been used dozens of times on my cars, it pulls any filter right off. It's a PITA to get on sometimes because you have to manually tighten the "fingers" onto the filter while applying counterclockwise pressure, and find the right extensions to get leverage, if there is little room to work and things are oily and slippery it takes some dexterity, but it works.

felopr

This is the only thing I was able to get the filter off with. I tried the cup style and a strap wrench to no avail. The pliers type worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
they work great, and cheap

I've hot glued and even epoxied on filter end wrenches with good luck. Also I never tried it but loosening with an air impact gun might provide beneficial shock to break the seal loose. Heat? Never run out of ideas...

To remove the factory oil filter on my first change after several unsuccessful attempts with several different tools, I ultimately resorted to using a small C-clamp.
I torqued the clamp down so to the point it was pinching the filter sides, causing it to dent. I then used the extra leverage I got from the clamp to just barely break the filter free.

I recently did my second oil change, and the filter was surprisingly hard to get off again, even though I made it hand tight when installing.
I'll have to invest in one of these for next time.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That C-clamp idea is the first I've heard of it, but a great idea. I now use K&N filters which have a hex on the end that you can use a 1in wrench to loosen/tighten. No more busted knuckles. I put them on hand tight and every oil change I still gotta use a wrench to loosen it.

OP
Alkoran
Thread Starter #13
Finally took that damn thing off!

Took my both hand to clamp the wrench and it was still slipping like crazy but unbolting little bit by little bit.

felopr

Finally took that damn thing off!

Took my both hand to clamp the wrench and it was still slipping like crazy but unbolting little bit by little bit.

Glad you take take it out, as a user of those clamps, just remove those plastic covers by the tip of the clamp, it just makes them slip imo, just use them without them
IDK why but on the factory they torque the hell out a oil filter. in my car it wasn't that hard as your but I had Kawasaki ninja that I had to pass a screwdriver from side to side to remove it

koozy

3000 Post Club
that thing looks mangled, albeit due to the tool; but at least it came off. Mine didn't get mangled with the spider tool I used and I manage to still cut the OE Assembly Line filter open to have a look and compare it to the FL910S that was replacing it.

Did the first oil change tonight. 1500 miles. Crushed the shit out of the filter. Had to use the plier style to get it off. The metal strap just mangled it.

LILIKE16ST

please be very careful when this happens. I had the filter on too tight oil change before last and I tried and tried to get it off and I got my dad to try and help me too and he used the old screwdriver method...ended up poking a hole in the side of the factory oil cooler that the filter screws on to and I had to replace that luckily tasca has them for like 40 shipped. I would have just upgraded to the mishi but I don't track the car and I didn't have 500 bucks laying around to throw on an oil cooler upgrade at that time and needed my car back as it's my only car lol. I'm using k&n filters again now

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

ROCKYFiestta

lol im cheap i just used a very small punch and tapped a hole on the side gently, once the oil drained out of the filter i just used sandpaper on my hand and turned it off. came off much easier.