Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone else excited for the Veloster N / i30 N?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
and this is why the Hyundai can move in and be available to offer options for small car buyers who want speed, space. affordability. VW failed, Renault failed, Honda failed, Ford won, but moved on. Fix the roads, and maybe the Mk8 FiST will come to US... Rant complete, have a great weekend.
You might have a bit more fun at https://www.veloster.org/, that might be a bit more of what you are looking for. A lot of us bought Fiesta ST's because they're light and handle, not for the power, and it doesn't appear to be the target of the Veloster N so the enthusiasm here is going to be mixed.

Good afternoon Gentlemen, Scholars. Why is Hyundai relevant? The market is ripe for an affordable performance small car. But lets be honest, the small fast car market includes all places excluding the US. Why is that? Ford provided a 3 cylinger FiST for all of the world. Why was US excluded? Two reasons come to mind. 1> US drivers can not exceed 75/80 MPH(legally) . 2> The road system is so horrible in US. Only in US can a pothole be turned into a bump in the road in an attempt to repair. Ford sells automobiles for which the conditions allow. Why is it that you do not see standing water on the road surface on European roads? Why can you drive at high speeds on European roads during a rain storm without fear of hydroplaning? It is interesting to know that European roads are constructed to allow a 5% slope to shed water. This reduces the probability to of water that might puddle, or stand. The point is, Ford knows that the roads in US will not improve, so the market gives way to trucks and off road vehicles. This is why Fist is dead in US.
Fist is dead because they weren't selling. I admire what you wrote but $$$ is the reason.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Fist is dead because they weren't selling. I admire what you wrote but $$$ is the reason.
...and THAT is because, to the U.S. consumer, BIGGER/HEAVIER is ALWAYS "better", even if just ever transporting oneself, and NEVER 'hauling' anything more than a laptop briefcase.

'MURRICANZ will never give up their 'road tanks' it seems, NO MATTER HOW HIGH the price of a barrel of crude climbs. [:(]

...and THAT is because, to the U.S. consumer, BIGGER/HEAVIER is ALWAYS "better", even if just ever transporting oneself, and NEVER 'hauling' anything more than a laptop briefcase.

'MURRICANZ will never give up their 'road tanks' it seems, NO MATTER HOW HIGH the price of a barrel of crude climbs. [:(]
I don't see sales of land rovers slumping in Europe. just like we have gas pigs, they do too. fuel is uber expensive in Europe. they can be just as piggy as we are, we just don't see it like they see it from us.

The FiST are not selling because they are not practical for everyday use with most in US. It is a great car, that is why I bought it(also $3500 Ford rebate) You cannot find equal performance for such a low cost. If the i30N was offered for less than 27k with the lsd, I would jump. Ford bailed on the FiST in US because nobody will buy it. The MK8 is an engineering marvel, but for a market that can use its potential. Hyundai will give cheep options that nobody else can compete with.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The FiST are not selling because they are not practical for everyday use with most in US. It is a great car, that is why I bought it(also $3500 Ford rebate) You cannot find equal performance for such a low cost. If the i30N was offered for less than 27k with the lsd, I would jump. Ford bailed on the FiST in US because nobody will buy it. The MK8 is an engineering marvel, but for a market that can use its potential. Hyundai will give cheep options that nobody else can compete with.
I find mine perfect for everyday use, long vacations and backroad fun. Just the things I call for in a practical everyday car! Hauls grandkids, groceries and camping stuff along with plants, dirt and car parts. 36.1 mpg on 2500 mile 9 day mixed roads trip. And tears up the Tail of the Dragon when I feel like it. Perfect everyday car for me!

I find mine perfect for everyday use, long vacations and backroad fun. Just the things I call for in a practical everyday car! Hauls grandkids, groceries and camping stuff along with plants, dirt and car parts. 36.1 mpg on 2500 mile 9 day mixed roads trip. And tears up the Tail of the Dragon when I feel like it. Perfect everyday car for me!
yes sir, you are right, but it seems Ford heard the same from Europeans and decided to continue providing the MK8 FiST for 2019. I agree with you bro. I love my FiST for the same reasons.

Yes, but... Ford didn’t and hasn’t really tried through advertising, for quite some time, to sell anything but CUV/SUV/F series. Plus, the profit margin on Fiestas especially, is sooo narrow that they aren’t worth producing for markets that don’t buy them on a mass scale.

Also, the current instability in USA trade policy really kicks narrow margin products hard. Not just cars.

Plus, if a public company doesn’t produce continuous growing dividends for share holders, people sell off, which kills narrow margin product even more.

I just hope that someone eventually gets elected that decides to harmonize global crash/emissions/eco standards. Whether it’s the US or China I really don’t care, but it’ll have to be the largest economy that does it. After that, it’s only trade that holds everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Dpro

6000 Post Club
yes sir, you are right, but it seems Ford heard the same from Europeans and decided to continue providing the MK8 FiST for 2019. I agree with you bro. I love my FiST for the same reasons.
Ford continued selling the Fiest both ST and non ST in Europe because they are runaway hits over there. The Europeans have always gravitated towards small cars in the general consumer world.

The U.S. on other hand has been nearly bipolar in there back and forth. Price of gas and oil goes up they start buying smal cars. Price of gas comes back down they immediatly revert to pickups and SUV’s.

It does not help that the car companies market Trucks and SUV’s here like there is no tomorrow and all but ignore marketing for small cars.

Americans have been programmed in large part this way.
Oh and truthfully while Hyundai now does make decent cars? They are still shaking off the image of terrible shit piles they were known for in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

Add to that the Veloster was a rather ugly hatchback in its own right and nothing special. You start to see how the N/I30 will proabably be a hard sell at best here. Also again like I said earleir and others have said for the price od admission? Its just not worth it.
Better choices car wise for the same or maybe less. Hot hatchs in the U.S. is not a particularly big or lucrative market.
Hell even regular RWD Sports cars are suffering here.

You might do yourself a favor by joining a Hyundai forum to sing its praises.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Different times, different generation, but I would never own KDM junk (personal opinion). I recall seeing the Excel at the LA Auto Show when Hyundai first entered the US market in the mid '80's with their ~$5k Excel. It attracted the mini truck crowd who decked it out with deep dish Centerline wheels. Personally the brand speaks cheap to me.

Different times, different generation, but I would never own KDM junk (personal opinion). I recall seeing the Excel at the LA Auto Show when Hyundai first entered the US market in the mid '80's with their ~$5k Excel. It attracted the mini truck crowd who decked it out with deep dish Centerline wheels. Personally the brand speaks cheap to me.
Hyundai ranks number one with costumer complaints. Does that mean that all Hyundai cars will die on the side of the road? Remember the Ford Maverick, Ford Pinto. Cheap brands sells cars. Hyundai always sold well, always had complaints, but now N series is introcuced, its worth a close look, especially for those who are looking for a 2019 option that Ford took to the E.U.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Plus, if a public company doesn’t produce continuous growing dividends for share holders, people sell off, which kills narrow margin product even more.
^^^THIS!

ONE of the reasons why Henry Ford the 1st, WAY WAY back in the company's infancy, wanted to avoid his company going public on wall Street, at ALL costs, even though he knew in eventuality that was a futile thought/effort. [:(]

Can we maybe bump the Hyundai prosthelytizing to a Hyundai forum?
Bump.. oops, wrong Forum. Is it not OK to be excited about the VN and i30N? Is it not OK to look at the known specs and stats and compare it to the FiST? When VW GTI is talked about and compared, are the threads bumped to VW Forums? I don't recall any member in this forum endorsing Hyundai products in favor of Ford products within this thread. It doesn't seem like there is an effort to convert anybody to favor any particular brands (I think that is what you mean by"prosthelytizing"). Lets continue to share information so we can make smart choices about the cars we buy.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Anybody who wants information about the veloster is more than adequately equipped to go locate it. You seem to be looking for an echo chamber for your favorite car- in this case you might be better suited going to an actual veloster or Hyundai forum, as you are more likely to find the receptive audience you seem to be looking for. Your posts on the subject read like ad copy which nobody likes when it appears in ads, much less on forums devoted to something we like. I wish you solid enjoyment of your upcoming purchase, but this isn’t the ideal place for you to get what you’re looking for.

You are laughing because you looked down. Perhaps others are laughing because of the way you have responded to this thread. It seems like you are wanting some punishment. I don't know. If I say now that the Yaris GRMS is a great addition to the small car market, supercharged and fast, will you try to caste me to the Toyota Forums????