Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can issue

Maybe the experts can chime in......i'm running a damond catch can and after installing a strat flash tune i've noticed that i'm getting what looks to be oil seeping from the valve cover (looking from the front of the car). I cleaned it up and after driving for about 400KMs it's there again.

Cleaned it up again and removed the catch can and returned to stock. i've done an auto-x event and about another 400 kms and the valve cover is bone dry, no signs of oil seepage.

I checked the one way valve on the catch can and it's ok, no blockage and it opens up when I blow thru it.

Is this a case of too much crank case pressure needing to go out? would the VTA option from damond or a cfm breather oil cap remedy this?
Other owners experienced it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe the experts can chime in......i'm running a damond catch can and after installing a strat flash tune i've noticed that i'm getting what looks to be oil seeping from the valve cover (looking from the front of the car). I cleaned it up and after driving for about 400KMs it's there again.

Cleaned it up again and removed the catch can and returned to stock. i've done an auto-x event and about another 400 kms and the valve cover is bone dry, no signs of oil seepage.

I checked the one way valve on the catch can and it's ok, no blockage and it opens up when I blow thru it.

Is this a case of too much crank case pressure needing to go out? would the VTA option from damond or a cfm breather oil cap remedy this?
Other owners experienced it?
I have a CFM cap...very tasty piece! [biggrin] I also have a Damond OCC....no issues yet. I hope you get yours resolved...keep us up to date!

felopr

damon catch can here, no issues either
wish you post a pic of your problem for visual reference...

OP
E
Thread Starter #6
Felopr - are you running the stratified flash tune? Only mod i have is awhoosh intercooler for the tune.

I had the exact same issue, with exact same setup. I did end up with the CFM cap, but I was very worried that something wasn't quite right with the PCV system. My stock oil cap was good and sealed and oil was still blowing by.

When I installed my CFM and posted about it, the one response that stood out was [MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION] 's . The thread starts here

Fast forward about two months and I was still seeing more oil than I was comfortable with being pushed up into the CFM filter. Like, just too much. Some is expected, and the filter is there for a reason. But damn, it was getting saturated. I found what I think the issue was. The hose running from the crankcase to the OCC had collapsed at the bend. If you cover the hoses with the sleeves Damond gives you to protect from heat, you won't see this. My post and pic is here.

So I completely removed the OCC and put the stock PCV hose back on. It drastically decreased the amount of oil I'm seeing up into the CFM filter and I feel a little more at ease. But I do still pop the hood and check obsessively.

I don't want to start a flame war about the pros/cons of OCCs. I totally get it and spent the money on one. For whatever reason, my car just didn't like having its PCV system messed with and I do think the hose was part of the problem. I'd recommend to all with OCCs, check your hoses and make sure they haven't collapsed to the point where they could restrict flow.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I am running a vented Damond OCC with my stratified tune. No weeping here but I have not been checking for it specifically. I do get a whiff of oil every once in a while that tells me that it is working.

felopr

I had the exact same issue, with exact same setup. I did end up with the CFM cap, but I was very worried that something wasn't quite right with the PCV system. My stock oil cap was good and sealed and oil was still blowing by.

When I installed my CFM and posted about it, the one response that stood out was [MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION] 's . The thread starts here

Fast forward about two months and I was still seeing more oil than I was comfortable with being pushed up into the CFM filter. Like, just too much. Some is expected, and the filter is there for a reason. But damn, it was getting saturated. I found what I think the issue was. The hose running from the crankcase to the OCC had collapsed at the bend. If you cover the hoses with the sleeves Damond gives you to protect from heat, you won't see this. My post and pic is here.

So I completely removed the OCC and put the stock PCV hose back on. It drastically decreased the amount of oil I'm seeing up into the CFM filter and I feel a little more at ease. But I do still pop the hood and check obsessively.

I don't want to start a flame war about the pros/cons of OCCs. I totally get it and spent the money on one. For whatever reason, my car just didn't like having its PCV system messed with and I do think the hose was part of the problem. I'd recommend to all with OCCs, check your hoses and make sure they haven't collapsed to the point where they could restrict flow.
Weird , mine have never collapse and i had it for more than 2 years, damon occ

OP
E
Thread Starter #10
Thanks jtehh, i dont think my hoses were collapsed though. I think its just too much crank case pressure and the check valve ID is smaller than the hose. I've also gone back to the stock hose.

Weird , mine have never collapse and i had it for more than 2 years, damon occ
Yeah, I'm not gonna trash Damond. The can and hoses looked great and the product definitely works for the vast majority. Maybe I accidentally bent the hose too much during install, maybe a manufacturing defect, or maybe the problem wasn't the hose but rather the check valve. I'm not recommending that anyone removes it UNLESS they are seeing CC pressures get so high that oil is getting pushed out. If that happens, I definitely do recommend putting the stock hose back on and bypassing the OCC to see if it solves the problem.

OP
E
Thread Starter #12
I agree 100%, on stock tune or even Cobb OTS everything was fine.
When I got the strat tune and pressures increased is when i started having issues.

I run a Damond with the VTA option and a Stat tune. I like the Damond a lot, but also am concerned about the hoses bending especially with the hose coverings. Never had any issues though. Would assume if the bent is past the VTA it would be purged before pressure built up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk