Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

• Traction Control On (I do not press the ESC button)

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Sport Mode (Press ESC Button)

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Traction Control Off (Hold ESC Button for 4 seconds)

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I usually run it in sports mode. I never turn the ESC fully off on a public road.
I am running a lot of mods including a larger turbo, the ESC light will flash in 4th gear at WOT depending on the road surface.
The ESC is there to save your arse basically and it does a amazing job on this vehicle.
I nearly hit a another car going through a roundabout one day. My fault/the other guys fault too. I was going way too quick, this guy pulled out in front of me. To avoid him I was hard on the ABS and nearly full lock on the steering. I manage to avoid hitting the other vehicle. The ESC saved me from a nasty accident. Without the ESC I would of be off the road backwards.
Don't switch it off. Your not that good, simple as that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...ne-of-the-dumbest-things-you-can-do-in-a-car/

I think the nannies eat up your front brakes more than anything. When I replaced my fronts at 25k miles, my rears looked like they were new.
It's also just that the front brakes do most of the work on this car. The weight is all forward and it's kind of top heavy, so the fronts are working really hard under heavy braking. But with respect to traction control, yeah, it is going to brake whatever wheel is losing grip under power (i.e. one of the fronts). ESC I am not sure, but could theoretically brake multiple wheels to keep the car under control. TVC I believe is known to brake the rear wheels slightly to get the car to rotate.

HBEcoBeaST

You guys ever do cone courses, track or auto x with esc all the way on? When I got this car(used) the front and back were about even at 40% left. Did a few events (and spirited daily driving) and my rears were ground down to 1mm while the fronts had a bit of life left (25%) after a couple months.

New pads and always driving in sport mode and I have just about even brake wear (fronts a little more worn).

With my E30 tune TC will constantly cut power which gets annoying. Sport mode it is for me. It's still possible to do a tank slapper in sport mode so not sure how great our TC system really is....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

codestp202

You guys ever do cone courses, track or auto x with esc all the way on? When I got this car(used) the front and back were about even at 40% left. Did a few events (and spirited daily driving) and my rears were ground down to 1mm while the fronts had a bit of life left (25%) after a couple months.

New pads and always driving in sport mode and I have just about even brake wear (fronts a little more worn).

With my E30 tune TC will constantly cut power which gets annoying. Sport mode it is for me. It's still possible to do a tank slapper in sport mode so not sure how great our TC system really is....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Track I always run with all the way off. The tc system completely kills all of the power and ruins the driving experience. Also, definitely will overheat the brakes on a big course if you leave any of the traction on.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
On Track I always run with all the way off. The tc system completely kills all of the power and ruins the driving experience. Also, definitely will overheat the brakes on a big course if you leave any of the traction on.
This I completely agree with but on the street, you're just fooling yourself(not you in particular, but those who always turn it off), or driving like a complete ass. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I keep it in sport mode most of the time sometimes I turn it completely off and see how much I can slide it on this large on-ramp. I don't do that when other cars are around. I do drive like a ass. In 12 years of doing so no wrecks. I don't need a lecture I'm not going to listen anyway.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I keep it in sport mode most of the time sometimes I turn it completely off and see how much I can slide it on this large on-ramp. I don't do that when other cars are around. I do drive like a ass. In 12 years of doing so no wrecks. I don't need a lecture I'm not going to listen anyway.

That's why there are race tracks. It'll be too late if you end up injuring or killing someone else but I digress...falling on deaf ears.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well I live in the country so the only thing I'm going to kill is myself either from a deer or a ditch. I'm just one of those crazy people man. I've been like that my whole life it will never change. Don't waste your time on crazy. I drive for a living so it's important I keep a clean driving record, like I said I live in the country no cops, no cars during certain hours.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
First of all, not everyone who turns ESC off drives around obviously risking someones life if the unspeakable happens like FordST (but in traffic). Many of us are using it because it reduces wear to the brakes.

Secondly, the reason people use it on the track is because you get better performance from it. From that view, it is actually better to have it off on the street too, as long as you don't drive on the street like you are on a track because if you do slip and lose traction and don't know what you are doing, the traction control won't help you. But again, most of us aren't doing that. After all, it wasn't that long ago when there was no such thing as traction control and there are still plenty of cars out there on the road without it doing just fine not losing traction.

Of course if you prefer having some extra piece of mind that the traction control is working for you, that's fine, but don't make it sound like having ESC off on the street is some super risky thing. It's not really. Unless of course you drive like FordST in traffic...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You live in LA you have no understanding of what it's like to live in the country where you're the only car on the road for miles. No traffic at all.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Don't judge a person by where they live. I've been coast to coast on the road and I have a full understanding of what it's like in the country...that's why I added "in traffic".
You live in LA you have no understanding of what it's like to live in the country where you're the only car on the road for miles.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Don't judge a person by where they live. I've been coast to coast on the road and I have a full understanding of what it's like in the country...that's why I added "in traffic".

Don't call me out and you won't get judged.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Don't call me out and you won't get judged.

I didn't. You called yourself out. You should read my whole message. Maybe then you'll see it's not about you and you might not be offended by it

A7xogg

My last car only had abs, esc is definitely not needed. Ice, rain, snow, dirt, circuit tracks, autoxx, and circuit track in the rain. Hell even abs can be overcome pretty easily but I'm not at that level.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I live in LA, deal with traffic on a daily basis, but still find plenty of opportunities to push my FiST. I get the tires howling pretty often.

Can someone enlighten me on the Cobb traction control? I'm running a Stratified tune on mine, but did not put for the traction control. I believe you end up running Cobb's traction control by default? How do you select/adjust it?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My last car only had abs, esc is definitely not needed. Ice, rain, snow, dirt, circuit tracks, autoxx, and circuit track in the rain. Hell even abs can be overcome pretty easily but I'm not at that level.
Same here, and it was a powerful RWD car no less, albeit always on the 'proper' tires for the given scenario. ;)

I kind of think that even the air bags are a sort of 'nanny' as well, which somehow I survived 20+ years of driving cars which did not come with them at all, (and then another 15+ years on top of that in the car above from which I removed the factory air bag from the steering wheel in order to install a Sparco racing wheel).
WHY I am not as fearful of getting rid of them as are the vast majority on here (but of course the insurance companies don't think the same [:(]).

That all being said, I have NEVER gotten into a car to drive it without using the factory seat belts.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Same here, and it was a powerful RWD car no less, albeit always on the 'proper' tires for the given scenario. ;)

I kind of think that even the air bags are a sort of 'nanny' as well, which somehow I survived 20+ years of driving without, why I am not as fearful of getting rid of them as are the vast majority on here (but of course the insurance companies don't think the same [:(]).
I couldn't agree more. Maybe we're just crazy.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That's why there are race tracks. It'll be too late if you end up injuring or killing someone else but I digress...falling on deaf ears.

I bet you never exceed the posted speed limit. Riiiiiight...?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk