Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 on a 2018 model?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I get that, but it appeared that you were saying the MP215 readings would show different and I'm asking how?
It will, it will show a non stock air fuel ratio. It will show different HC NoX and other pollutant readings because modern ECU’s log all that stuff . Thats why they do not need to do a tailpipe. They can scan it right off the ECU.

koozy

3000 Post Club
It will, it will show a non stock air fuel ratio. It will show different HC NoX and other pollutant readings because modern ECU’s log all that stuff . Thats why they do not need to do a tailpipe. They can scan it right off the ECU.
My personal experience has shown otherwise. I had to take my FiST into the California (BAR) Bureau Of Automotive Repair State Ref for both an OBDII and rolling dyno test. I had a Cobb tune loaded on the ECU and passed without being detected. If anyone cares to want to read about the experience http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=177708&viewfull=1#post177708

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My personal experience has shown otherwise. I had to take my FiST into the California (BAR) Bureau Of Automotive Repair State Ref for both an OBDII and rolling dyno test. I had a Cobb tune loaded on the ECU and passed without being detected. If anyone cares to want to read about the experience http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=177708&viewfull=1#post177708

Wow hmmm thats interesting. I will talk to my smog tech tomorrow . Unless the Tunes do not effect emissioms at which point i eat crow .lol I could be wrong. Perhaps some of the Tunes are just mild enough not to effect emissions.

If so I humbly accept your proof.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Wow hmmm thats interesting. I will talk to my smog tech tomorrow . Unless the Tunes do not effect emissioms at which point i eat crow .lol I could be wrong. Perhaps some of the Tunes are just mild enough not to effect emissions.

If so I humbly accept your proof.
It's a topic that interest me, because I plan to go with my DHM360R turbo kit w/aux fuel and pass for it's first mandated inspection in 2020 unless I get popped again and have to pay the CA State ref a visit again. My car is a '14, so I'll be visited CA smog inspection before many others who aren't radically modified in terms of emissions components. My car will pass OBDII no problem, it's the visual inspection that will be the determining factor in my case.

My belief is that as long as the tunes do not disable any of the IM readiness monitors and has no check engine codes, the car should pass. Most of the tuning done to maps are under boost conditions. Most tuners don't mess with off boost tune parameters without risking poor mileage and emissions. Rolling dyno test sessions are never under boost conditions.

My engine compartment looks stockish, but there's a big turbo, ST200 intake, RAMAIR crossover pipe and aux fuel in there.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It's a topic that interest me, because I plan to go with my DHM360R turbo kit w/aux fuel and pass for it's first mandated inspection in 2020 unless I get popped again and have to pay the CA State ref a visit again. My car is a '14, so I'll be visited CA smog inspection before many others who aren't radically modified in terms of emissions components. My car will pass OBDII no problem, it's the visual inspection that will be the determining factor in my case.

My belief is that as long as the tunes do not disable any of the IM readiness monitors and has no check engine codes, the car should pass. Most of the tuning done to maps are under boost conditions. Most tuners don't mess with off boost tune parameters without risking poor mileage and emissions. Rolling dyno test sessions are never under boost conditions.

Ya this is a quite interesting topic as we are moving into uncharted territories especially with your setup.

I remeber some SR powered cars passing smog on the rollers as well back in the day as long as one stayed out of boost and were bone stock SR’s . Except lol SR’s did not EGR’s as in Japan they do not use EGR to control emissions.
Aux fuel makes me wonder though as you are putting in a richer mixture though which would affect stuff. Definitely the bigger Turbo could be an issue visually as would aux fuel if not well hidden.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Ya this is a quite interesting topic as we are moving into uncharted territories especially with your setup.

I remeber some SR powered cars passing smog on the rollers as well back in the day as long as one stayed out of boost and were bone stock SR’s . Except lol SR’s did not EGR’s as in Japan they do not use EGR to control emissions.
Aux fuel makes me wonder though as you are putting in a richer mixture though which would affect stuff. Definitely the bigger Turbo could be an issue visually as would aux fuel if not well hidden.
The tests parameters probably don't get to power levels that would bring aux fuel into play.

OP
F
Thread Starter #29
Original poster here. The reason I want the MP215 kit is that the car retains the factory warranty. I also do not live in California, so I think the emission standards are a bit different where I am. So, will the MP215 kit work on my car or will the car throw some sort of CEL that will enable me to fail an inspection?

redmoe

Original poster here. The reason I want the MP215 kit is that the car retains the factory warranty. I also do not live in California, so I think the emission standards are a bit different where I am. So, will the MP215 kit work on my car or will the car throw some sort of CEL that will enable me to fail an inspection?
Since your car is a 2018 there is no guarantee that you will be able to qualify for the warranty. Also it is not the factory warranty it’s a supplemental warranty provided by Ford Motor Co. for the remainder of the 3/36 if the part qualifies and if it is installed by Ford/Mountune or an ASE tech then registered.

Ford may or may not be more forgiving it you are using the Mountune vs other aftermarket products but unless you meet the criteria in their policy you have nothing to fall back on.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I talked on the phone to Randy @ mountune, and he told me the tune is the same for all years. I've had it on my '17 for a few months now, and had no issues. Noticeable improvement, but totally safe.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look at the other kit they offer now, since technically there's no warranty of any kind now.

me32

1000 Post Club
Incorrect info. It can not detect any info you stated. Only a tail pipe sniffer can. The reason that 2000+ cars in Ca no longer normally have to use the dyno and sniffer is that all those cars in stock forum meet the smog requirements if no CEL is on and all emission equipment is working properly.

me32

1000 Post Club
Since your car is a 2018 there is no guarantee that you will be able to qualify for the warranty. Also it is not the factory warranty it’s a supplemental warranty provided by mountune for the remainder of the 3/36 if the part qualifies and if it is installed by Ford/Mountune or an ASE tech then registered.

Ford may or may not be more forgiving it you are using the Mountune vs other aftermarket products but unless you meet the criteria in their policy you have nothing to fall back on.
All good info.

Don't mean to jack thread but has anyone on here with an AP had any issues with it since installing...?? I don't hear too often of issues with anyones tunes....

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Don't mean to jack thread but has anyone on here with an AP had any issues with it since installing...?? I don't hear too often of issues with anyones tunes....
My MP-215 has worked flawlessly for 2 1/2 years and 26,000 miles. Better performance and gas mileage is improved especially with 93 octane non-ethanol fuel.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My MP-215 has worked flawlessly for 2 1/2 years and 26,000 miles. Better performance and gas mileage is improved especially with 93 octane non-ethanol fuel.
I just got back from a 4000 mile trip. Lots of freeway, always 10 over the speed limit. Had the cruise set on 90 in Montana, 80 or more everywhere else. Got it up to 120 once (on a closed course, of course), using 93 and 91.

The trip average, according to the car, was 31.7 mpg. I'm very pleased. One of the reasons I went for the "safe" mild tune was wanting to keep the good mileage. You really feel the extra torque at those speeds, too.

Mikey456

How does the car with MP-215 run on 91 octane? Is the power much softer? Any ill effects when running on 91 octane (MPG’s etc.)?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
How does the car with MP-215 run on 91 octane? Is the power much softer? Any ill effects when running on 91 octane (MPG’s etc.)?
Never ran 91, mine runs best on 93 non-ethanol. Easy to get at home, near impossible on the road. I once HAD to use 87 and the engine screamed WTF each time I tried to accelerate briskly. I promised "Fifi" I would never feed her that stuff again. Felt like I was dragging an anchor. I get 37 mpg hwy with the non 93 and 35 mpg with ethanol at 75 mph. Third gear pulls feel stronger to me on the 93 NON ethanol. A recent 2800 mile trip with mixed driving including way to many stop and go hours on I-95 returned a 31.1 AVG MPG. I love my "Fifi", (named after my granddaughter Sophie called Fifi) and after driving her stock for a month when new even happier with the MP-215. Has been totally invisible and AP in glove box since installed. Wonderful product.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
We have 93 around here. In the western states, I ran 91 and didn't notice any difference. I was also at higher altitudes, which makes you burn less gas, so I can't comment on mileage. You burn a lot uphill, almost none going down. [hihi]

When I crossed into Iowa, I filled up with 93 again, and did notice a difference. The car had a little more power when I got on it. It was not a big difference, but I could tell. Maybe 3 hp?

Mountune says you have to use 91 or higher to keep your warranty. Since my '17 doesn't get one, anyway, I don't care. I'd use premium anyway, since it's worth about 10 more hp over regular on the stock engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsZFu3pmIA&t=486s

Mikey456

Thanks for the response. I’m in Cali and have to deal with CARB and warranty since my car is a 2017. I like what Ive heard about the power and reliability about the MP215. However, can anybody clarify whether or not you have the MP215 tune loaded into your computer or is it loaded at a computer at Mountune or a dealer and matched to your vin number. I’m asking this because during emissions testing will I have the flexibility to marry and unmarry the tune. Do you actually own the tune at the place of purchase? Or will I have to rebuy the tune if I want to want to go back to the MP215 from stock. I live about 1.5 hours from Mountune so I would through the hassle if it was possible to switch back and forth from stock to tuned.