Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

turbo timer

ROCKYFiestta

is it necessary on these cars? something i always had on my evo/mr2T just wondering about this car i still always idle it before shutting for minute at least.

A7xogg

I just let the car run for 30-60 seconds after a drive. Turbos cook oil no matter the size

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No it isn't necessary....Turbo timers were ran mostly on cars that the center cartridges weren't coolant cooled. The reason why they added coolant along with oil is to prevent oil coking in the turbo as stated already. They also did this for convenience for the consumer....Who wants to buy a car that you have to let run 1-3 minutes every time you get out besides a car enthusiast? I have a turbo timer on my Typhoon as I have removed the coolant lines so I must compensate now for their loss. I have it setup to run 3 minutes every single time I shut it off. But with the FiST I wouldn't bother....its a modern system and the Turbo timer isn't needed as far as I'm concerned.[party]

I'm thinking the heat is another argument for running full synthetic versus the semi-syn that Ford specs.

I initially wondered about this myself; this is my first car featuring forced induction.

As the other members have stated, it isn't required that you let your ST idle for a short period before shutting off. I generally let mine idle long enough for the radiator fan assembly to finish its current cycle. During colder months, I'll let the engine idle for 15 to 30 seconds.

I've read through the manual about this as well. It states that we should allow the engine to return to idle speed before turning it off.

the duke

I initially wondered about this myself; this is my first car featuring forced induction.

As the other members have stated, it isn't required that you let your ST idle for a short period before shutting off. I generally let mine idle long enough for the radiator fan assembly to finish its current cycle. During colder months, I'll let the engine idle for 15 to 30 seconds.

I've read through the manual about this as well. It states that we should allow the engine to return to idle speed before turning it off.
Water siphoning which is integrated into the design of the coolant lines/ports of the CHRA renders this moot. There is no need to let the car idle at all before shutting off unless you were on a racetrack and didn’t do a cool down lap or anything at all. Water siphoning is a capillariy action that will pull coolant through the ChrA even with the pumps, etc off. That’s the whole purpose of water cooled turbocharger designs.

Water siphoning which is integrated into the design of the coolant lines/ports of the CHRA renders this moot. There is no need to let the car idle at all before shutting off unless you were on a racetrack and didn’t do a cool down lap or anything at all. Water siphoning is a capillariy action that will pull coolant through the ChrA even with the pumps, etc off. That’s the whole purpose of water cooled turbocharger designs.
Thank heavens for that.