Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LARGEST capacity/volume tube and fin IC?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Who makes the absolute biggest capacity/internal volume, TOTALLY FACTORY FIT (NO; aftermarket/Euro crash bars, major hacking, fabrication needed,etc.), tube and fin intercooler for our cars, out there currently??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Just a question, why do you want tube and fin?
Just me getting paranoid about using an air flow blocking bar & plate IC (the CP-E I have) because of all of these people having severe overheating problems even on fully stock FiSTs, with factory ICs and factory tunes.

I am guessing that IF mine did not have these problems yet in the past two years, even including some sitting in some long duration, stop and go 'parking lots' when it was 95*F+ ambient, it might be 'safe' to say mine is not effected, but who knows. [dunno]

I wish that I could be reassured that by installing a Mountune/CSR radiator (at the same time as the CP-E gets installed) it would be enough to handle the lower/reduced through flow, even with an 'edgy' tune on the factory snail, in the middle of a traffic jam (or during a Track Night In America open track event in the summer).

Maybe the above, PLUS a 180* Ford thermostat, REALLY LOW TEMP fan turn on written into the tune, AND 60-70% water, and one of the aftermarket 'hot spot' eliminating additives in the system would do the trick, and let me sleep at night? LOL

pwnall1337

Vendor

dmb

For the last 3 weeks it has been 95 to 110* in so cal stage 1 tune all stock, 4 bars a/c on stop and go, over the mtn pass 100* a/c on, 4 bars at 80mph, 33 mpg I burned those crappy michelin pilot sport as-3's in no time. eye your temps, have fun

felopr

the stock IC is bar and plate, idk what you are talking about restricted air flow
Just get the mountune one, I have it for more than a year and I live in 95f+ weather year around, never seen it over 205f, stay in the 193f range when driving and that is expected since the stock thermostat is 90c or 194F

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
the stock IC is bar and plate, idk what you are talking about restricted air flow
Just get the mountune one, I have it for more than a year and I live in 95f+ weather year around, never seen it over 205f, stay in the 193f range when driving and that is expected since the stock thermostat is 90c or 194F
I will have to say this is INCORRECT. The stock intercooler is a TUBE AND FIN design from Ford. This is what almost all manufacturers go with as it comes down to keeping costs down but still gets the job done for the stock system. [raceflag]

felopr

I will have to say this is INCORRECT. The stock intercooler is a TUBE AND FIN design from Ford. This is what almost all manufacturers go with as it comes down to keeping costs down but still gets the job done for the stock system. [raceflag]
Maybe my whole life been incorrect about the difference between bar and plate vs tube and fin looking it from outside
but this looks bar and plate to me

Same bar and plate look like the coob intercooler that is being compared in the photo

Compare that to a mishimoto that is a true tube and fin design

btw, tube and fin cost more than bar and plate design

felopr

easiest way for one to tell if it is a bar and plate or tube and fin design

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mishimoto is not Tube and Fin in fact they make a big deal about being Bar And Plate on their webpage.

Modern aftermarket Tube and fin intercoolers have actually come along way .

Just look at the Pumaspeed R sport Pro 300 square Extruded Tube and Fin design. You will see a Tube and Fin design that cools down quicker than a bar and plate and does not heat soak like old fashioned Tube and Fin.
In fact they tested it and it worked better than their big Turbo Garrett core intercooler.

The Mountune is definitely a step up up from the stock one and quite honestly unless someone is going hybrid or big Turbo it will work just fine.
If you plan on a Turbo swap down the road then something besides the Mountune will probably benefit.

The biggest issue is most of the larger aftermarket intercoolers do seem to affect the airflow to the stock radiator. Now the stock radiator is really nothing to write home about either! As it’s a plastic end tank job and at least in the BMW world, plastic end tank radiators tend to go boom sometimes quite unexpectedly.

So changing out ones radiator for an all aluminum in my opinion is a good idea in hotter climates, were one does a lot of spirited driving.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mishimoto is not Tube and Fin in fact they make a big deal about being Bar And Plate on their webpage.

Modern aftermarket Tube and fin intercoolers have actually come along way .

Just look at the Pumaspeed R sport Pro 300 square Extruded Tube and Fin design. You will see a Tube and Fin design that cools down quicker than a bar and plate and does not heat soak like old fashioned Tube and Fin.
In fact they tested it and it worked better than their big Turbo Garrett core intercooler.

The Mountune is definitely a step up up from the stock one and quite honestly unless someone is going hybrid or big Turbo it will work just fine.
If you plan on a Turbo swap down the road then something besides the Mountune will probably benefit.

The biggest issue is most of the larger aftermarket intercoolers do seem to affect the airflow to the stock radiator. Now the stock radiator is really nothing to write home about either! As it’s a plastic end tank job and at least in the BMW world, plastic end tank radiators tend to go boom sometimes quite unexpectedly.

So changing out ones radiator for an all aluminum in my opinion is a good idea in hotter climates, were one does a lot of spirited driving.
I will have to completely AGREE ...yep I said agree! When people go huge intercooler it definitely blocks the radiator more and then a upgraded radiator is needed and even possibly the 180 degree thermostat that Ford offers and some of the other vendors. [party]

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
^^^THAT was the whole point of this thread/topic! [thumb]

Basically, I was asking IF the Mountune radiator (and thermostat/fan on tune) would be enough to counteract the added heat due to the lessened 'through' airflow of a larger than most of the 'factory fit' ICs, CP-E bar and plate IC. [dunno] ;)

KKaWing

The Fiesta ST specific intercooler from Mishimoto is tube and fin. They mention it in their development process, and on their product page. The universal ones are bar and plate though, as are most of their other offerings.

The Fiesta ST specific intercooler from Mishimoto is tube and fin. They mention it in their development process, and on their product page. The universal ones are bar and plate though, as are most of their other offerings.
Yes this is a correct statement. The biggest issue with bar and plate is it doesn’t let as much air to the radiator as tube and fin thus people with more over heating issues with after market bar and plate type aftermarket IC’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So does anyone have a definite answer if the stock OE intercooler is extruded tube and fin? I have came up with no data anywhere

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk