Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Carbon Fiber Hoods

The previous owner of my car didn't take good care of the hood. Somehow there are scratches and swirls all in the paint, so I'm thinking about replacing it with a carbon fiber piece... Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one.

Either way I'm wondering how easy these are to install? Is it DIY or should I take it to a shop? Any recommendations on which hood to buy to best fitment and appearance?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I replaced the trunk lid on my Acura TSX with a carbon fiber lid from VIS. The install was easy and should be a lot easier for a hood (no need to drill holes for the brake lights and such). At first I was pleased with the results, but it wasn't very long before the gel coat got cloudy and then started cracking.[thumbdown] If you are able to garage your car, your results should be better, but it's definitely higher maintenance than an OEM/painted lid.

My thought was to get a carbon fiber hood then take it to a local body shop and have them do a clear coat over it. Is that a viable solution?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My thought was to get a carbon fiber hood then take it to a local body shop and have them do a clear coat over it. Is that a viable solution?
The gel coat that came on my VIS trunk lid is pretty thick; I don't think clear coat would make any difference. I live in the Bay Area where it can be relatively cool in the morning and then scorching in the afternoon -- i think that's what caused the cracking, and that's why I wouldn't recommend carbon fiber unless you have covered parking available during the day.