Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Before I click "order" - anything you wish you'd known before getting an AP/tune?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm looking at the stratified page right now, ready to pull the trigger. For the glowing reviews from everyone it sounds like a *lot* of fun potential is sitting right here. 500 bucks. I've paid a lot more for a whole lot less - before I do it, I'm thinking about past cars where I modded them out of daily usability. I'm no longer 18, when I didn't mind driving around in an AC-less v8 fiero that always smelled like gas and oil. I've ruined motorcycles (fz1, reground cams, port/polish, more internals, powercommander tuning, etc.) so I could no longer comfortably commute on it. Upgraded my grand national so it was scary if I got caught out in the rain - that kind of thing. I'm worried about throwing away the warranty on my 8 month old car, I'm a little concerned about getting smog-copped again (yay california). Any other "cons" I'm not thinking of? I'm going to do the sensible thing and write out my pro/con sheet - just wanted to get community feedback, you know, "I wish I'd known X before getting a tune".

Car's a 2017
Injen intake (whooshy sounds!)
Turbosmart DV
3" exhaust (more whooshy sounds!)

I want to keep my solid reliable daily beater, but I want to add a little more character to it. It gets a little annoying being slower than v6 minivans too :p

I don't regret the AP and tune at all. I bought my car new and it is still under warranty. But the tune really does add to the fun and that is why we bought these cars. Additionally, the car has been out for years and reputable tuners have been tuning it the entire time. I trust that they are keeping things safe. There are no guarantees of course - but it seems our little beans can handle a lot of power with stock internals.

One thing I do caution - for the Strat flash tune, maybe stay away from the aggressive throttle mapping that they started offering in 4.0. I got it and I believe it is to blame for the hesitations I have down low when going WoT. It really, really bugged me. Once boost comes on, it comes on damned strong. But in the beginning, there is this tiny bit of initial push, hiccup, then puuuuuuush. I know shit-all about tuning, but Jason at Dizzy had a post about torque tables and stuff and after reading it, I'm taking a guess that the hesitation has something to do with that. I have rolled back to my Strat 3.x tune and everything is nice and smooth, no complaints. It just peaks at about 1 PSI less.

I don't feel like I've lost any daily usability (temporarily irked by that issue above). I can easily stay out of boost when I'm not in a hurry. And the great part about the AP is it means you can load in any tune you want (after paying of course), even something totally custom. And if it isn't for you, can sell it for $350-400 easy.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I don't regret the AP and tune at all. I bought my car new and it is still under warranty. But the tune really does add to the fun and that is why we bought these cars. Additionally, the car has been out for years and reputable tuners have been tuning it the entire time. I trust that they are keeping things safe. There are no guarantees of course - but it seems our little beans can handle a lot of power with stock internals.

One thing I do caution - for the Strat flash tune, maybe stay away from the aggressive throttle mapping that they started offering in 4.0. I got it and I believe it is to blame for the hesitations I have down low when going WoT. It really, really bugged me. Once boost comes on, it comes on damned strong. But in the beginning, there is this tiny bit of initial push, hiccup, then puuuuuuush. I know shit-all about tuning, but Jason at Dizzy had a post about torque tables and stuff and after reading it, I'm taking a guess that the hesitation has something to do with that. I have rolled back to my Strat 3.x tune and everything is nice and smooth, no complaints. It just peaks at about 1 PSI less.

I don't feel like I've lost any daily usability (temporarily irked by that issue above). I can easily stay out of boost when I'm not in a hurry. And the great part about the AP is it means you can load in any tune you want (after paying of course), even something totally custom. And if it isn't for you, can sell it for $350-400 easy.
I was thinking linear throttle - I miss cable actuated throttles :p -

full thought

91 octane only, no desire to e30
progressive crackles (for giggles)
linear throttle
traction control

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Strats canned tunes are great. I do regret getting a pro tune from them. Currently about 2 week wait between revisions. I started this in April, I should be done by October.

I was thinking linear throttle - I miss cable actuated throttles :p -

full thought

91 octane only, no desire to e30
progressive crackles (for giggles)
linear throttle
traction control
All of that sounds good to me. I'd get the exact same thing if I was ordering right now (well, except I'd be on 93 octane [wiggle])

anticon

Have you considered swapping out the plugs for colder and gapped plugs? Also what about your RMM? Intercooler? These are just things that are on my list before getting a tune, just so I can knock it all out at once.

Have you considered swapping out the plugs for colder and gapped plugs?
Why does anyone need this before a tune? Does it really help anything?

@OP: Get the 91 tune, its a nice upgrade and will make the car even more fun for your daily commute.

I think you are probably fine with the stock heat range. But from what I've read, tuners seem to recommend one step colder once you put on a tune. Here is a read from Stratified. Money quote below.

"For the Ford Ecoboost we still recommend a plug that is one step colder than OEM for mildy bolted cars especially since 21+psi of boost is quite common. For highly modified cars that see a lot of heat it is advisable to try a plug which is two steps colder than OEM. The Ecoboost motors seem to be able to manage colder plugs better than the Mazdaspeed motors."

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Have you considered swapping out the plugs for colder and gapped plugs? Also what about your RMM? Intercooler? These are just things that are on my list before getting a tune, just so I can knock it all out at once.
I work odd hours so I don't drive the car much during the heat of the day, so I haven't really worried about an intercooler. If I hit thermal issues I'd upgrade the intercooler, but it hasn't seemed to be an issue yet. I'm not trying to build the car for performance, I just want to add some fun and character. Since I have a 2017 I thought the rmm was different? I've driven a 2014 and there was a very noticeable difference between how rubbery the driveline felt.

I'm also hesitant to do the fmic because it's not something I can quickly revert to stock to take the car to the dealership - not trying to hide anything, but eliminating variables. Generally if there is something aftermarket installed, thats what they blame and the magnuson moss generally leads to a lot of back and forth. I'd rather avoid it - I can replace my DV in about 10 minutes, I can swap my intake in about 15, and I've swapped exhaust back and forth in about 45 minutes.... I'd generally like to keep things easily swappable so I can revert as needed. Once the warranty is up, or I've purchased something else to beat daily, I'd go a little further.

anticon

@OP: Get the 91 tune, its a nice upgrade and will make the car even more fun for your daily commute.
It's recommended by Stratified, Dizzy (and Whoosh). There is also a thread about spark plugs discussing the potential benefits. Here are some reference links.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/spark-plug-tech/

https://www.dizzytuning.com/fiesta-tuning.html

https://whooshmotorsports.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st/products/copy-of-ngk-iridium-ix-spark-plugs-set-of-4

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/661-Fiesta-ST-Spark-plug-tech

slopoke

Strats canned tunes are great. I do regret getting a pro tune from them. Currently about 2 week wait between revisions. I started this in April, I should be done by October.
Two weeks?? Holy crap!! It would take me two months or more to get a tune finalized. I had 4 revisions to my base tune with the 4th being a final revison, took about a month. Would have been faster if I did my data logs more quickly. Going to start on E30 fuel now. Glad I went with another tuner.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have had 4 revisions. I am guessing that when I get the next one in a few days it will be my last.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I have had 4 revisions. I am guessing that when I get the next one in a few days it will be my last.
gotcha.. I just ordered an AP with the 4.0 tune already on it - I'm thinking it'll be safest to just buy a new tune from them.