Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

back up camera/ bumper beepers

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
According to NAV-TV.com they or Ford can turn the backup cam on, once it's installed, look on utube for their install on a focus
I just spoke with NAV-TV.
They supply a module that plugs into the OBD connector during the install setup (one time) to program the use of the backup cam.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I cannot fathom why the price is so high other than profit, shops probably have a huge discount, one of those things that helps pay the bills....so the high retail price perhaps.

Engineering time invested?

Some but once you know the system, cannot be that tough per new model.

Low volume?

That would have an effect but not this nuts.

----------

Just to cover why I am feel this way, I spend 20 years in ultra high end electronics, more analog than digital but I know how it all works, this is not that complicated a design, parts count, etc........but I love to be proven wrong, doubt they could and would of course apologize if so.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
correct me if i am wrong but the module is 500$ plus a camera..
That is correct.
And the best camera they sell for the FiST with grid is the Cam6 at $250.00.

However their module may not work with the Cobb AccessPort.
I am waiting for another answer.

I also read somewhere that the FiST does NOT have video input to the NAV unit.
Therefore it may NOT work at all.
I am waiting for an answer on this as well.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Here is an update.

I spoke again with Tony from NAV-TV.
I was told that the screen unit in the Fiestas with SYNC2 are the same.
So video inputs are available just no external connections.

NAV-TV provides a replacement plug-n-play wiring harness.
This new harness provides the connection for the camera.

They also provide a module that plugs into the OBD connector with programming to turn on the camera functions within the BCM.
This module works much like the Cobb AccessPort to alter the programming.
Once this module is used to turn on the camera functions it is unplugged and stored.
As the AccessPort, it is locked to the VIN and must be uninstalled before it can be used in another car.
Since the NAV-TV module only alters the BCM there is or should be no issues with programmers that work with the PCM.

Although any camera can be used, the CAM6 is most like Ford's OEM unit.

Yes, other systems are available and may be less expensive.
This one however works most like Ford's system and displays on the NAV screen.

So who will be the first to test this in a FiST?

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I very much appreciate looking into this:)

There is at least one way to not spend so much.

If the Nav-tv was $200-300 max, I would be sporting it already.

It will be far less expensive to just put in a display, either rear view mirror type or something else and put in a reasonable cost camera.

There has to be a switch on the transaxle that senses when going into reverse or the BCM would never know you did unless is senses moving in reverse which is not a logical deduction.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The BCM controls exterior lighting.
When the car is put into reverse the BCM knows this.
This information of course is used by NAV-TV so the back-up camera is only seen in reverse.
However for a lesser system you could use the back-up lights for control.

BTW, Reverse lockout is not a switch.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A different approach I do not recall seeing.

We then have to find a way to tap into the turn on for the back up lamps, a relay is probably the best way to set this up, then use the open or closed side to pass a signal to the camera to turn it and the mirror on, etc....

It might take a bit to sort it out but I bet this or some other simple and low cost solution would work.

Thanks for the info:)

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
So how much is this setup including the Cam6? I'm not sure by looking at their website which components I would need. They should offer kits.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So how much is this setup including the Cam6? I'm not sure by looking at their website which components I would need. They should offer kits.
The NAV-TV Harness with programming for the '14-'15 FiST is $500.00
The CAM6 camera is $250.00.

Dave

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Maybe Dave can convince NAV-TV to do a group buy and knock down the price $200.00?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
We need to find out if it works 100% in the FiST first.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I really appreciate that you are working on this, the car really needs a back up camera.

I have been whining about the cost, which I think is to high still but having it integrated into the stock display would be better in some ways than a mirror display like I have been looking into. I have a mirror display in my Duramax I will no longer need so considering a swap to the ST and it actually is better that it might seem in actual use since looking up at the mirror is something we do all the time and then the side mirrors, more intuitive than looking at the dash display in our 4 runner though a much bigger screen but the ST is in a better location so it will be great to have it there. This makes me lean more towards the Nav-TV system....

Then I had a thought, since the display is the same, how about switching the factory HU brain/CD player out to the one from the Titanium Fiesta?

Then I though, do any of the Ford vehicles come with a system like this but also with DVD instead of just CD?

I am going to look from this approach to see what I can figure out.

Another option, wireless cameras, I have a high end system on my trailer, WiFi, works well about 50 ft behind us, perhaps there is a wireless camera and receiver that is viable to use, not to costly, for those that do not want to wire in the camera, no worries for me as wiring in an audio system except will be fun running the wiring through the hatch door.

I am actually considering just putting the camera in the rear grill instead, especially since I have already sealed and sound deadened the hatch.