Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint warranty?

So I've had my ST about 3-4 weeks now. I noticed washing it today that there is the tiniest pinhole sized chip in the paint on the hood near the middle to rear of the LH front fender. Do you think I could get them to cover that under warranty? I'm not sure if a rock did it or a defect in the paint. I was thinking I should do something to get it taken care of before it gets worse

me32

1000 Post Club
Unless its a factory defect its not gonna be fixed. Normal wear an tear is not covered under warranty. Rock chips suck but part of owning a car you drive.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Unless its a factory defect its not gonna be fixed. Normal wear an tear is not covered under warranty. Rock chips suck but part of owning a car you drive.
^ This. While it sucks, it's just a part of car ownership. I usually buy a touch-up bottle for that purpose and dab a bit when necessary. Some of Ford's recent models have been known to have thin/fragile paint, so you may want Ti increase your following distance to mitigate it when possible.

Fwiw, I had two within a week of ownership. Le sigh.

I've got tons on the front of mine, happened before I could afford the clear bra. At this point I just need the whole front bumper re-done in order to look right. Seriously fragile paint compared to my 04 ZX5...

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #5
That's kinda what I figured. I wonder how much a bottle of touch up molten orange is? I'll give Ford a call.

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #7
$22.40, comes as a 2 part kit. But they have to order it. Won't have it for about a week.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I have paint problems on my race red. I have little dots all over the car. I thought it was tree sap but clay and polish didnt do anything. Looks like its embedded in the paint. Running your hand over you cant even feel them.

I have paint problems on my race red. I have little dots all over the car. I thought it was tree sap but clay and polish didnt do anything. Looks like its embedded in the paint. Running your hand over you cant even feel them.
are those spots kid of a yellowish or brownish in color? ive noticed a few on mine too.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
are those spots kid of a yellowish or brownish in color? ive noticed a few on mine too.
Theyare so tiny its hard to tell. Mine almost look like glitter on the paint. Very spaced out though like tree sap. Im gonna hit it with the Clay bar tonight and report back. If ou have yellowish to browinsh color spots there is a gd chance it is Tar or sap if you park near trees.

I don't know if it was a dealer-specific deal, or what. But, the only warranty I got body-wise, was free dent fixes on all vertical panels. Paint not covered, though.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Well the clay bar failed and now its going back to the dealer to have the body shop look at it. Not pleased. I suggest any of you with dark paints or RAce red go and take a real gd look at your hoods in different light. You may see some sparkling in the paint. Race Red doesnt have pearl.

Warrant ycover paint defects from the factory which is what this is. The front bumper also has runs I can see. Like dark patches in certain light.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Mother*******er. The rear hatch next to the ford symbol looks like the clear is peeling off.

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #14
Mine has some very small white dots in a few places, like my passenger sideview mirror.

I'm not impressed with the paint quality, paint is very soft making it chip easy and and soak up sap and airborne contaminants.

Paint quality is the only problem area I have found with my FiST. I have an obvious area just under the fuel filler that shows evidence of a factory spot-fix. My color is silver and the area they "fixed" has a base coat that does not properly match the surrounding paint. It even has evidence of paint reducer fogging around the "fix". My brother is a professional auto-body painter that works in a high-dollar restoration shop where 5 figure paint jobs are normal. He evaluated the paint and confirmed the paint was a factory "fix" (see has seen it before...especially on Fords). The proper corrective fix is to do a repaint of the whole panel which includes taking the factory paint down to the base coat and repaint to include top coat. A color match is necessary to ensure a good match to the surrounding sheet metal. He also noticed the rear bumper is about 2 shades off from the sheet metal. I realize our Fords are not perfect and certainly not comparable to what a custom restoration shop will produce, but we should expect better paint on our cars. I'll live with the problem instead of having another spot fix by a collision shop...

This problem takes me back to my 1965 Mustang Convertible I bought new in 1965...it took about 2 weeks for the rocker panel paint to begin peeling off...Ford refused to covered it under warranty, but the dealer didn't want to lose a good customer and paid for the repaint.

Well the clay bar failed and now its going back to the dealer to have the body shop look at it. Not pleased. I suggest any of you with dark paints or RAce red go and take a real gd look at your hoods in different light. You may see some sparkling in the paint. Race Red doesnt have pearl.

Warrant ycover paint defects from the factory which is what this is. The front bumper also has runs I can see. Like dark patches in certain light.
Does it look like this?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Kinda but that's not what it is. I think something got into the clear while it was being painted.