Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint warranty?

steinkrunk

Any updates? Was any of this covered under warranty? My tuxedo black FiST has a bunch of chips already and I've been driving cautiously. Also there's some heavy orange peel on the doors and a rough area on the front bumper next to the ford symbol. I'd like to get it fixed before I clear bra but just want to know if I'm going to be paying out of pocket or if it's covered

I got the full paint protection film done on my zero mile car yesterday. Full bumper 3/4 hood, mirrors, A pillars, front edge of roof. Complete lower sill under doors (had them take off the partial Ford applied protection on back part the sills, so I could get a full coverage piece done) Also did the triangle shapped parts on the rear bumper just behind the rear wheels as well. Also the top of the bumper where the hatch is.

Modern paint is crap, some manufactures have less crappy paint, but compared to 20 years ago, modern paint is crap compared to what it use to be. Everything that made paint good and durable is now considered bad for the environment, so as a result we have paint that chips if you look at it wrong.

If you don't get a clear bra done, than just live with your paint being decimated in short order or don't drive your car.

A clear bra should be mod #1 for anyone that wants a car to look decent past 6 months...

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Modern paint is water based which has a lower hardness (pencil hardness) than the solvent based paints of past. If you really wanted to protect your FiST get it wet sanded to remove all of the orange peel, and then spray it in a couple coats of clear, then put on the clear bra. Don't get me started anout the front window. Why doesn't anyone allow or offer clear film for the front window? I hope my front windshield gets hit by a rock so it can be replaced.

elam

Washing my FiST today, I noticed a TON of little dots of what look like rust, almost all of which are on the hatch door, where the window meets the metal, although they appear in other places as well.

The car is almost 2 years old, with 27,000 miles and 2 Michigan winters. I wash it every week, so I'm surprised by this. Rust this soon?

Attachments

The little rusty specks you see is atmospheric garbage that will not come off with soap and water. Clay bar treatment will remove the little specks, and subsequent coats of sealant and or wax will help protect the paint. Any local auto parts store should carry a kit with instructions.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Washing my FiST today, I noticed a TON of little dots of what look like rust, almost all of which are on the hatch door, where the window meets the metal, although they appear in other places as well.

The car is almost 2 years old, with 27,000 miles and 2 Michigan winters. I wash it every week, so I'm surprised by this. Rust this soon?
The little rusty specks you see is atmospheric garbage that will not come off with soap and water. Clay bar treatment will remove the little specks, and subsequent coats of sealant and or wax will help protect the paint. Any local auto parts store should carry a kit with instructions.
Clay bar may not remove the rust spots. You need to use iron x. Those are little particles of iron embedded into the paint. Spray iron x then rub with a mitt and soap. They will for the most part come loose. Then use a clay bar to attack the remaining spots.
-B

I also gave my car a good wash today and noticed chips ('16 kona blue, two months old). I'll be swinging by the ford dealer for some touch-up. Anyone have suggestions for best preventative maintenance?

Purchased the car in May, finally got an appointment to fix scratches found on delivery, I touched up some door jam key cluster scratch that I found AFTER delivery, if anyone works in the automotive industry, do everyone a fucking favor, keep your keys off your belt loop. This is my second new car with door jam scratches (up near the door striker).

Now its just a.. "I hope it comes out perfect."

But while we are on about rock chips.... 1000 miles later, I cannot find a rock chip on my car (also 16 Kona blue). I tend to keep 8-9 car spaces behind vehicles at all times and slow the heck down/change lanes if I see gravel/dirt/dust or pebbles on the road.

Zissou

I've got a few rock chips on my black FiST (now has 14.5k miles on it). I use a clear touch up paint made by DuPont which looks good. You can still see the rock chip, but the metal is protected and the chip is less apparent than it was prior to touching up.

I owned a truck that the previous owner tried to do a lot of touch up paint spots and it came out terrible. I just stick to the clear stuff.

The problem with touch up paint is if the color is metallic is that the paint when applied is always darker than the paint on the car. Metallic paint is meant to be sprayed on. If you dob it on a chip, it dries darker so if you do a lot of chips, the effect is worse than the chips themselves.
You really need to cover the bumper, hood fenders, a pillars, leading edge of the roof and mirrors with the 3M or expel film.
Modern paint is very soft and chips and scratches almost by looking at it.
Everything that use to make paint durable has been deemed harmful to the environment, so protective film really needs to be mod 1 and done at 0 miles.

The problem with touch up paint is if the color is metallic is that the paint when applied is always darker than the paint on the car. Metallic paint is meant to be sprayed on. If you dob it on a chip, it dries darker so if you do a lot of chips, the effect is worse than the chips themselves.
You really need to cover the bumper, hood fenders, a pillars, leading edge of the roof and mirrors with the 3M or expel film.
Modern paint is very soft and chips and scratches almost by looking at it.
Everything that use to make paint durable has been deemed harmful to the environment, so protective film really needs to be mod 1 and done at 0 miles.
yeah I learned that Kona blue touch up paint = super darkest blue you can ever find in life

sadly no films can protect your car from assholes that wears keys on their belt loop, unless you wrap everything, including your doorjams lol

yeah I learned that Kona blue touch up paint = super darkest blue you can ever find in life

sadly no films can protect your car from assholes that wears keys on their belt loop, unless you wrap everything, including your doorjams lol
True story.
Day 1 I got my first chip and run on the hood and have been trying to make it less crappy ever since. I do have an airbrush now so I'm about to give it another attempt when the AVG temp gets under 90.

dealer touched up a few spots that had scratches from delivery, pretty mediocre job I must say... not sure if I want to take another day off work to bitch about it again. Might just wet sand the touch up paint and blend it myself. I notice that this car needs a 3" buffer much more than any other cars I've owned... so much narrow lines.