Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question: Which mods are needed, and which mods are just wanted?

Preface: Let me start off with the obvious clarification: No mods are actually needed, and everyone's opinion and preference of what they want from their car is different, so there are no clearcut correct answers to this question. I am just curious as to your opinions, as I'm still new to the car.

When we modify our cars, it usually comes down to two base reasons for doing so:
1. Correcting an existing deficiency; or
2. Improving performance.

(You could also list Reason #3, "because it looks cool," haha.)

So, what I'm asking is: What modifications do you think are necessary for the Fiesta ST to make up for engineering/performance deficiencies, and what mods do you think are desirable to improve performance, given that existing performance is not necessarily unsatisfactory?

Wow, I'm way too wordy. Basic example: Would a bigger turbo be more fun? Yes, I'd want that. Is the base turbo insufficient? No, so I don't think I "need" a new turbo to make the car perform well. So, I'd put that on the "Desired" mods list, not the "Necessary" mods list.

My experience with the car is limited to about 800 miles, so I'm not the expert here, but overall, I am very, very happy with how this car performs. I'm not seeing many deficiencies, but that opinion may change over time.

So I want to make a list, and I hope you all will post your opinons so I can collect them all in one place.
I

"Necessary" Modifications that address deficiencies in the stock car
1. Rear Motor Mount (if tuned, especially.) This seems to be a clear case of a stock part not performing well.
2. ??????

Desired Modifications that improve performance
(These I'm going to try and list ranked; ie, #1 improves performance the most over the stock option.)
1. ECU Tuning
2. Shifter: I can see the need for shortening up the throws, but I can live without it.
3. Interior: It's a Fiesta, things could be spiffed up a bit.
4. Engine: I'm sure an intake helps, but I have no complaints with the engine, at all.
5. Suspension: No complaints, at all.
6. Brakes: Complaints, I have none. Sure, there is brake dust. That's a symptom of grabbiness.
7. Wheels: Sure, they could be lighter, but the stock tires are very grippy and I think the wheels look awesome.
8. Intercooler: I have no idea on performance, just see it brought up on the forums.
9. Exhaust: Seems to be a common enough mod, just not sure how much of an improvement it makes.

Really, it's the deficiencies/Needs list I want to compile, but I am curious as to how much of an improvement aftermarket parts make in the Wants list.

Any insights appreciated, thanks.

I think you have a pretty good list. The car really is great as is. I just had to do the exhaust as my first mod just because I love the more visceral dramatic sound and feel it gives me when driving.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I think it's a really solid package as-is, too. One I won't find the shortcomings in for quite awhile, performance-wise.

And I should clarify I mean needed/desired in relation to a street car, not a track car. I may autocross sometime or other, and a track day is not out of the question, but I'm not building my car for those purposes.

And so many of these things are a matter of degree. The current wheel/tire setup is great, but if a replacement combo makes the car way funner, then that's a mod worth doing. If it only makes it 10% better or something, then I'm not worried about it. Yes, I'm using made up statistics.

What got me thinking on all this is the Wilwood brake group buy. I was like Man, that's a smoking deal!
And it is. But if I'm not going to be on the track often, if at all, do I really need to upgrade my brakes? I don't think so (but I am not sure. Like I said, new guy, inexperienced with these cars, etc.)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Needed-Tires/RMM/Driver mod

Wanted-Air suspension, wheels

Everything else-added bonus

Quite honestly I believe a lot of people are going to feel they need many more things before the Driver Mod, but if you can't extract all of the performance before mods then modding is relatively worthless. This is mainly for the #racekor people.

Mine is just a DD and may never see the track, so saving 10 lbs with a lighter battery is useless to me. My needs/wants list is going to be significantly different than the majority. The only real 'weakness' I saw in my car was the tires, and I never even drove it hard enough to make the rmm clunk.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
Needed-Tires/RMM/Driver mod
Yes, Driver mod is #1, so far as shortcomings go, as it affects all systems.
ST Octane Academy is the cheap way to address that, at least a good start.

I haven't experienced the RMM clunk yet, either.

And yes, I want to avoid making modifications just because, well, I can, and well, it's fun, and stick to making modifications that make a measurable impact and address a deficiency. It's easy to get caught up in what we think we need.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Yes, Driver mod is #1, so far as shortcomings go, as it affects all systems.
ST Octane Academy is the cheap way to address that, at least a good start.

I haven't experienced the RMM clunk yet, either.

And yes, I want to avoid making modifications just because, well, I can, and well, it's fun, and stick to making modifications that make a measurable impact and address a deficiency. It's easy to get caught up in what we think we need.
To experience the harshness caused by the crappy OEM RMM just try shifting without rev matching and try to do it at a normal speed (not overly slow but you don't need to bang it into gear as fast as possible) and this should cause a slight jolt. Other effects are the car snap-oversteering if you let off the throttle mid corner because the motor's jumping around under the hood - it's a very conditional problem but still present.
Additional things caused by the crappy RMM are why the car "bounces" after changing gear.

It needs nothing, lots of thoughtful engineering! Ok, maybe a little more power but not really.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
My FiST was great stock but...
1. it needed that 1st gear wake up from the CoBB S1 tune but overall it woke the car up entirely.
2. Stock Suspension is awesome but NYC streets made me switch it out for BC Coils for a more comfy ride on these horrible streets also downsized wheels and tires to 205/50r 16. Trade off had to be done cause my car felt like it was gonna break into pieces out here.
3. Installed a CBE just for the sound.
Next mod will be a Cobb intake, Cobb RMM and keeping it on stage 1 till warranty expires.
I love the way this car drives just the way it is.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
My FiST was great stock but...
1. it needed that 1st gear wake up from the CoBB S1 tune but overall it woke the car up entirely.
2. Stock Suspension is awesome but NYC streets made me switch it out for BC Coils for a more comfy ride on these horrible streets also downsized wheels and tires to 205/50r 16. Trade off had to be done cause my car felt like it was gonna break into pieces out here.
3. Installed a CBE just for the sound.
Next mod will be a Cobb intake, Cobb RMM and keeping it on stage 1 till warranty expires.
I love the way this car drives just the way it is.
Warranty expired when that tune was flashed. I believe the best first mod is the Cobb RMM.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Can we please not get into the "warranty is gone when flashed" argument again. Not one person who has the Cobb AP has recorded a dealership saying anything to them about it.

But I'll be getting the RMM and intake here shortly, whenever it is released. Not going the full exhaust/downpipe route. Not necessary for me personally, but I see the attraction with it.

CanadianST

You have a pretty good list already. RMM is a MUST if you're gonna be driving the car even slightly hard in stock form let alone modded, in my opinion it is a deficiency.

As for other parts none of them are "needed" per say but if you're looking into modding here's my breakdown from my experience so far.

Tune - Highly recommend it, really wakes up the car

Intake - More or less just noise, maybe a slight increase in power

RMM - A must, no more wheel hop or engine hitting the firewall

Intercooler - Some added power, mostly a stepping stone for further mods

Downpipe - oodles of power, one of the biggest differences I've noticed

Exhaust - again more or less just noise, bigger piping (2.5") is a stepping stone for things to come.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Dumb question but can you just get a downpipe with no exhaust system? Or do they kinda go hand in hand?

CanadianST

Dumb question but can you just get a downpipe with no exhaust system? Or do they kinda go hand in hand?
Not a dumb question at all, the answer is it depends. Most downpipes let you mount the stock exhaust to them but some require bigger aftermarket exhausts to match the bigger piping in the downpipe. I'd personally not do one without the other though, did it on a previous car and it sounded atrocious.

What I personally want:
-Sparco or Bride Seats with lowered running rails
-Intercooler
-Lighter wheels with R-compound tires
-A nice functional carbon fiber front splitter
The above would make me feel like I have enough power on tap, while still being fuel efficient and not going full blown RACECAR. Just fun around town.

What I feel most buyers should get even if they don't have the mod-bug:
-Cobb AP
-Open Downpipe OR cat-back exhaust
The above allows you to open up the potential of the car just ever so slightly that it becomes outstanding. Plus with the AP you can switch between having more power or go full-eco for long roadtrips. And the exhaust mods just let you hear the car breathe. It makes canyon runs more exciting.

As much as I would love to do the whole "big-turbo racecar" build on the FiST, I have been a pretty strong supporter of keeping things lightly modified and then as certain items break over time, replace those items with performance parts. It will be interesting to see what becomes the first part that will be labeled as "it will definitely break" on this car. It's not a reason to hate this car or avoid modding it, since every car usually has one or two issues which are known to break.