Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

North American vs European Steering Wheel

Etyrnus

Bottom of the wheels looks the same, just the Euro version has the filler plug below the airbag cover, where the US version is open. That's what makes it look narrower, but if you look at the curve where the lower spoke joins the wheel it's the same. The airbag cover itself looks to be the only difference.

I could take it or leave it, I prefer ours a little bit more I think. Sorry, forgot their are some Europeans on here to, the North American version.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF I am going to go to the bother and expense of swapping out the wheel, it is going to be to one I LOVE, and to one which makes a BIG difference over the stocker, like the Sparco 383 I had in my last two rides (and even did away with the exploding whoopee cushions to have it in my 2000 Z28). [wink]

i see there are many flat bottom euro wheels for sale
can it be swapped too our us spec cars
i assume i have too get a air bag
is it plug and play ?

grntrdbx

The steering wheel on the ST-Line Fiesta is has a little more rectangular shape than the ST. It seems a little larger in diameter too. It also has the orange stitching to match my ST with the molten orange interior. My daughter has this on her Hot Pepper Red ST-line. It's nice, what gives Ford??

Attachments

Bumping this thread. I've installed a euro wheel in my car and its 90% there, but the clocksprings have different wiring it seems so I've now got an airbag light on.

Does anyone know if the euro clockspring would be a direct swap for the USDM clockspring? The problem is the euro airbag apparently only takes two wires/one connector, while the USDM spring takes four wires/two connectors. The horn and steering controls all work properly, unfortunately retaining the airbag is the main reason to go this route instead of a quick detach.

USDM airbag - two connectors:

Euro airbag: nowhere for the blue/yellow wires to go:

Any advice? The way I see it my only options are (1) hope a euro clockspring is a direct swap, and if its not be out another $100, or (2) find some way to bypass the blue/yellow wires to remove the airbag light while regaining a functional airbag again.

Thorabash

Bumping this thread. I've installed a euro wheel in my car and its 90% there, but the clocksprings have different wiring it seems so I've now got an airbag light on.

Does anyone know if the euro clockspring would be a direct swap for the USDM clockspring? The problem is the euro airbag apparently only takes two wires/one connector, while the USDM spring takes four wires/two connectors. The horn and steering controls all work properly, unfortunately retaining the airbag is the main reason to go this route instead of a quick detach.
How did you fix it?

I ended up cutting off the second connector and soldering a 3.3 (?) resistor in its place. No idea how the airbags will function in an accident but there's no airbag light so I'm happy. I tell myself it'll behave just like a single stage airbag now, if its good enough for Europe its good enough for me.

XanRules

USDM airbag - two connectors:

Euro airbag: nowhere for the blue/yellow wires to go:

Any advice? The way I see it my only options are (1) hope a euro clockspring is a direct swap, and if its not be out another $100, or (2) find some way to bypass the blue/yellow wires to remove the airbag light while regaining a functional airbag again.
Sorry, silly question from someone who's been eyeballing maybe doing a swap like this - are the wires coming from the clockspring or the body harness? I would assume that even if the clock spring only had two wires, the car would be "expecting" signals from four.

In any case, the USDM clockspring:

and the UK clockspring:

Appear to be entirely different, the harnesses don't match up or anything. :(

Sucks because the Euro steering wheel is IMO more attractive, and much easier to find used, and my stock steering wheel is trashed from my nasty, incredible acidic hands and their gorilla grip.

IIRC the wires were all from the clock spring, and I stuck with the USDM one. If you just wire a resistor in place of the extra connector it works fine but as I mentioned....no dea how the airbags will function when needed. Modify at your own risk!

BTW, I love the euro wheel. It knocked like, 3 seconds off my lap times (/s)