Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering a FiST, between a used and new model, advice?

The used one is a 2014 with 20k miles on it priced at $14,9k. I'm going to check it out, its at a Ford dealer, but that's an almost scary price difference to a new one. I came across a new 2014 orange with orange recaros priced at $21k at another dealer but $7k is a huge difference. As long as its only had one owner, has proof of service records, a clean carfax, and is still under warranty its likely a good deal.
Any advice on a high mileage model?

I'm currently in a 2013 Civic Si sedan I use for work, I have put 30k miles on it in a little over a year, the FiST will replace that, so theoretically it could have 40-50k miles on it by this time next year. I'm a little upside down on the Civic, the used one will allow me to easily absorb that difference and have a lower payment and less term than if I buy new.

OP
M
Thread Starter #2
Also, the backseat in this car is a joke, honestly, my 7 year old barely fits. Do you guys just remove or lay down the seats and treat it as a 2 seater hatch back like a Z3 coupe?

SICKESSS-ST

Wow, I thought I had a lot of miles on mine, 11k so far. If I had to choose I would go with the used one, a brand new car is nice and all but you cannot beat the 7k price difference, and if you bargain hard enough you might get it even lower. Either way, it's still a 2014 model year and under warranty, it sounds like a good idea, IMHO.

Wow, I thought I had a lot of miles on mine, 11k so far. If I had to choose I would go with the used one, a brand new car is nice and all but you cannot beat the 7k price difference, and if you bargain hard enough you might get it even lower. Either way, it's still a 2014 model year and under warranty, it sounds like a good idea, IMHO.
^this all day although I got mine for $18,895 new with negotiating so I would still do new if I had to again, but in your case it's to much difference. Also considering you'll rack up that many miles in a year anyway I'd go for it good luck op!

Harvick

1000 Post Club
That's alot of miles, I only have 10k on mine. If you don't mine by used its the best way to save money as our cars depreciate very quickly.

If it were me I'd go with new just because before the FiST I never had a brand new, never owned car before. I wanted something that I knew the entire story of. As for the back seat, I don't have any problems. I have people back there all the time and they say it's a little tight, but manageable.

I've seen a lot of trade-ins that have low miles, current model year, and are absolutely thrashed. A lot of damage can be done in an incredibly short period of time. Make sure the used car checks out before jumping on it. I'm buying mine new because I know I am the only person who will be responsible for it from the beginning (and the Ford employee discount).

In regards to the back seat, have you never been in a compact car? Nothing out there besides the Honda Fit is noticeably bigger. I am 5'10" and fit perfectly fine in the back seat when the front seat is adjusted for me. That's all I can ask for in a car this small.

The back seat is decent, very decent given the overall size of the vehicle.

If you can negotiate the price to around 12k out the door it is a good price considering the miles on the car, other than that, at 14.9k it is terribly overpriced (considering the fact that it has 20k miles) that car being a 2014 is 16k miles away from loosing its warranty. In your case it looks like it may be 6 months of driving.

If they don't want to come down on the price then consider negotiating the new vehicle instead... just my $0.02

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
I had a 2010 Honda Fit a couple cars ago and with me at 6' we were still able to get my wife and 3 kids in that car when in a bind, we have a Honda Odyssey for normal kid duty. I loved that Fit and honestly thought this one would be similar in interior space but no dice.
I don't fret too much about rear seat room as I rarely have anyone back there, its not a deal killer but the 2015 Focus ST with more useable space and new body style, etc is just around the corner, not sure what I'd do at this point.
I'm used to M3's and other odd BMW's over the years, and the FiST has the fun factor of my last one, a 91 318is with a 95 M3 motor swap. Same weight range with a torque feel and flat handling.
I really like the Si sedan I have now but its not as fun to drive. Maybe I'll offer $13k for the used one and just keep the Si, have the FiST as a fun car.

wow thats cheap. Ontario they sell for 26000 new. The cheapest used one is 24000 and has 13000km on it too lol

The ones I've looked at here in Henderson, nv are 26k loaded. I pretty much wrote off buying a new one after seeing those prices. I'm surprised to see people have bought them for around 20k new!

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
You should consider flying out and driving home with one vegaspyder

There is a lot to be said for buying used...especially avoiding much of the depreciation loss. Suggest the Op push the dealer to get the FiST certified by Ford in their Certified Pre-Owned Program. That ads a lot more protection than just the remaining warranty, not to mention the extra peace-of-mind. My brother rarely buys new Fords and instead will buy used with this Ford program...he's never been disappointed (includes cars and pickup trucks).

You should consider flying out and driving home with one vegaspyder
My current car is almost maxed out unless I want to go FI or do another engine swap to some more recent platforms people are fitting in. By the end of this year I should be sure whether I want to keep my car or switch to something else (fist). More used/certified Fists will be available later as well.