Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

wrench light

Sekred

1000 Post Club
All the electronic systems in the vehicle has its own Message Identifier, (MIDs). Engine Controller, Trans, HVAC and so on. Typically generic scanner are usually very limited in what they can read, usually only the engine ECU. You can go out and buy a Snap-On reader for thousands of dollars and connect it and probably be able to select any of the MIDs. You get what you pay for in other words.
The Parameter Identifiers (PIDs) just code the different components within each of the electronic systems.

I know its an older thread but i have a story and an update.

I

Tonight getting onto the highway on a 270 degree turn on ramp i redlined the car in 3rd than merged in forth. Did a speed check and was doing about 90miles per hour or 145km/h. Now i do this all the time so i was surprised that i saw a wrench light tonight. I quickly slowed down into the slow lane(60m/h or 100km/h) and check the access port troubles. There were none. Strange. Heart was starting to race as i could hear my wife "what did you break?" No she cant be broken. Taking a breath, Dropped it into 3 rev matched the engined and release the clutch, a smashed the accelerator. Full 22psi boost, no lag purring like a warm cat. Since this is 1/2 way home and the car was not in limp mode i keep going. Always remember on solid light not to bad. On flashing bad.

At a few stoplights i checked the ford touch alerts. Nothing. Stopped an started the engine wrench came back. When i got home i leafed throught the manual. There is no mention of the wrench light or even the symbol anywhere.

At this point my wife's voice wandered into my head "so what did you break now? I told you not to get a fancy car." i quickly shook that though loose and kept leafing through than i happen to the oil reset page. And a couple of things clicked. 1 the dealer said my first free oil change is at 16000km. 2 the odometer is reading just north of 16000km(about 10000 miles) 3 the forum mentioned before the oil life feature is no longer in the ford touch 4 our Edge has an oil reset feature but it is full text not a wrench. And 5 someone mentioned on a facebook page he has an oil change due at 32000km

So i took a breath, swore at the author of the manual for ommiting the symbol and performed the oil reset. Boom wrench gone.

Moral of the story read he owner's manual and read between the lines. Please learn from me and have a happier ride.[/QUOT

I know this thread is from the canadia crowd....just trolling along and the wrench light came on....mileage is 10250....had oil changed like 1500 miles ago. Did the lube tech Not reset the oil change light? I tried to follow the book on the reset with no luck. I hate this oil change light/ maitenance light crap. Anyone have any suggestions?
I am doing the exact same thing... Mine also came on at your same mileage.... 10,250. I also couldn't find the light in the manual... But went through the process of the oil change reset but cannot get it to remove the light...But what is the actual process to double check i'm doing this right... No gas or break push button start to turn on car holding for 2 seconds then holding down brake and gas pedal.. I get the flashing cel light after a few seconds but that's it doesn't remove the wrench. Do you continue to hold the button after 2 seconds or let it go then hit brake and gas.. I've tried both but no luck either way as far as I know perhaps i'm doing something wrong...

Vehicle health check was all clear. accessport check was all clear.. I just don't have an actual scanner for more in depth reading. Everything seems fine though it's stage 3 w/ tune. I did a data log and sent to tuner to see if anything else was obviously going on.. Trying to avoid the dealer not sure how they will react to the mods/ tune etc....

DvC

remember if you have an access port installed you must uninstall then do the oil reset procedure and reinstall the AP. took me a couple tries till i figured it out.

clutch out power on hold break+gas for 20-30 seconds. restart car and it will go away

remember if you have an access port installed you must uninstall then do the oil reset procedure and reinstall the AP. took me a couple tries till i figured it out.

clutch out power on hold break+gas for 20-30 seconds. restart car and it will go away
Dude!! THANK YOU!! I never saw this anywhere or remember anything about it. it's the first time the lights ever come on. if that is their suggested oil change time thank god I don't follow it! i've got 3 already.
This helped a ton. resolved and all good!

DaveG99

I just had this wrench light come on also. Just went over 10k miles. I was worried but figured out its just an oil change light from reading here. Who the F changes their oil every 10k miles?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
When was the last time you brought your FiST in for an oil change? I do believe it's every 5k for us on oil changes. The last time you got your oil changed I bet they didnt reset the light like they should've. If you have an access port you must uninstall the access port to reset the light. Just an FYI.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just had this wrench light come on also. Just went over 10k miles. I was worried but figured out its just an oil change light from reading here. Who the F changes their oil every 10k miles?

Because of the higher temps of a turbo engine, I change the oil in my FiST every 5K miles and use only full synthetic.
I have never had the oil life reset, although it was attemped to be reset to zero but never accomplished.
All that being said, the oil life light has never come on.

Dave

DaveG99

I changed my oil at 700 miles then at 6000 and I'll change it again at 12k. I use fully synthetic penzoil. My car doesn't have an access port. Just bov, exhaust, rmm, and some other small things. Resetting the light was easy but I never knew how to do it or even that it had a light like this until last night.

I reset mine with the access port plugged in. Worked fine. 2016 if that matters, and updated recently. Stage 1 OTS cobb.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

My gf said her wrench light just came on and lack of power, car has 1,300 miles on it. She drives normal so I know it isn't her. I'm guessing that she started up the car and took off right away, when she hit above 3000 rpm maybe the turbo was too cold and limp mode came into play.

Bringing this thread back up. My wrench light came on and I see no mention of the light in the manual. My car is a 2016 that I picked up at the dealer on Dec 18, 2015. I have 2900 miles on it, so it can't be an oil change indicator unless it has a time out as well as a mileage trigger. I changed the oil at 700 miles. My code scanner shows no codes, but it's a simple scanner that only read engine codes.

The car runs fine, no limp mode.

*EDIT* Did the Acc mode on and depress the brake and accelerator 100% trick and it worked. The first time I tried it, the light came back on, but I did it again and held them down for about a minute after the engine light stopped flashing and the wrench light stayed out. I didn't have to uninstall my AP either.

LILIKE16ST

Bringing this thread back up. My wrench light came on and I see no mention of the light in the manual. My car is a 2016 that I picked up at the dealer on Dec 18, 2015. I have 2900 miles on it, so it can't be an oil change indicator unless it has a time out as well as a mileage trigger. I changed the oil at 700 miles. My code scanner shows no codes, but it's a simple scanner that only read engine codes.

The car runs fine, no limp mode.

*EDIT* Did the Acc mode on and depress the brake and accelerator 100% trick and it worked. The first time I tried it, the light came back on, but I did it again and held them down for about a minute after the engine light stopped flashing and the wrench light stayed out. I didn't have to uninstall my AP either.
This has happened twice to me....but the mileage is weird first time was little over 11k this time it came back on exactly 10200 or so miles later at 21400ish. Both times car ran fine and both times I did thing thing that the manual doesn't mention for whatever reason (where you power on but don't start and hold the brake and gas for 30 seconds or so). I'm glad I don't follow these oil change intervals this would just be my 2nd oil change I've already done 4 and I'm about to do my 5th coming up soon lol...I use full synthetic royal purple race oil xpr

Just happened to me when I fired it up this morning; car is a 16 and year old with 4K on the clock. I did the gas / brake pedal reset without uninstalling my AP and the lights gone. Seams weird to me either a clitsh or yearly who knows. I've changed the oil twice already.

Hard to believe that Ford puts a symbol in the instrument cluster and then nowhere describes it. I even checked the ST supplement that came with the car, no joy.
Maybe they added it to the '17 manual. Anyone on here with a '17 that can let us know?

LILIKE16ST

My page 180 shows - Underhood Overview 1.6L Duratec engine.
Do they have 2 different manuals for '16?[dunno]
I have not seen anything in my 16 manual either mentioning said light. However when I go to lunch I will check on page 180 to see what I find. Based on the guy posting above mentioning his came on after 1 year with only 4K miles on the clock I'm assuming this comes on every 10-11k OR once yearly whichever comes first. That's some crazy OCI no way I'd go a year or 10k miles lol. I've went as far as 7-8 with full synthetic royal purple xpr and royal purple filter which is supposedly good for 12k and I didn't even like going that far and probably won't anymore. 10k miles no thanks lol

I found it in my 16 manual on page 183 I think, just after the various engine pictures. It does state to use the brake/gas pedal reset trick.