Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low coolant levels/possible coolant leak

So I haven't changed my oil in 6 months and have driven 5500 miles since then. I flog my car regularly in my daily driving. Full boost is an all too common occurrence.

Last time I got it changed (2/15/14) Ford topped my fluids. Since then I have lost so much coolant as of yesterday when I lifted my hood I found that the level is below the minimum line by over 5 millimeters...clearly well below acceptable.

Secondly, while coming out of a particularly tight on ramp with more than a few sustained degrees of tail wagging, I noticed very fine droplets of fluid spraying onto my windshield. No one in front of me was misting their windshields which leads me to believe it may have been coolant. Initially I thought it was oil but it was clearish and dried a few seconds after depositing.

If you guys recall, my friend Mossdahaus had his FiST blow it's coolant all over the engine bay and he eventually opted to get out of the car when Ford couldn't figure out what caused his coolant to spew. Temps reached 250+ degrees when. This occurred after the car had already hit that temp a week earlier and he pulled.over to cool it off.

Point of the thread: has anyone noticed coolant leaks, very low coolant levels, or spikes in temps. Mine oddly have not spiked despite the low levels but my oil temps have been higher than normal either due to the hot weather in Cincinnati lately or the fact that my oil may be shot.

Also, has anyone who has noticed coolant going missing discussed the issue with their service department? I'm booked for Tuesday for oil and I want to see what they have to say about the missing coolant/whether they can replace the plastic hose connectors and clamps with metal fittings.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Not sure razor. I know it was part of the first USDM allotment back in early September of 2013. My interior lights by the moon roof controls are square instead of the later round, more refined ones and my red line on my tach is different than later builds. I'll have to check with Ford on Tuesday worst case Thursday or Friday as I may not be able to make my original appointment.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Not sure razor. I know it was part of the first USDM allotment back in early September of 2013. My interior lights by the moon roof controls are square instead of the later round, more refined ones and my red line on my tach is different than later builds. I'll have to check with Ford on Tuesday worst case Thursday or Friday as I may not be able to make my original appointment.
Your build date will be in the drivers side door jam on the sticker.

So what was the issue and resolution? My coolant is right at the minimum line and I'm not sure if its losing coolant as I just noticed it

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So what was the issue and resolution? My coolant is right at the minimum line and I'm not sure if its losing coolant as I just noticed it
One thing you could try is send a sample of your oil to Blackstone laboratories. If there is coolant leaking it may be into the oil. They can catch that.

An all too common problem in my Abarth was the cheap single use pinch clamps used to attach the coolant hoses to the resevoir. Check to see if there is any staining near the port. If there is cut them off and replace with gear clamps.

Thanks, will look into both. Ordered a test Blackstone test kit and will check around the reservoir. What should the staining look like?

It is sort of crusty, crystalized, sugar like and most likely the same color as your coolant.

My coolant level dropped a bit about 5k ago (just above the min line). The Blackstone UOA showed a bunch of potassium in the oil. Since then, no loss in coolant but I'll send my next oil change to Blackstone. I'm hoping it was a just a break in thing...

I was losing coolant but I don't know when it started. I noticed it when my car didn't want to start and white smoke was coming out of my exhuast. I have a blown head gasket and warped head. Still waiting to get my car back. Hopefully you don't run into this issue.

I was doing a quick canyon run last Monday, and my coolant jumped very quickly from 215 to 260 degrees according to my accessport, like in a matter of 10-20 seconds. Car went into limp mode and the coolant light came on. I quickly pulled over and turned the car off. After the car cooled off my coolant level was below the minimum level by a few millimeters. Mods include Cobb stage 2 OTS tune, Airtec FMIC, Cobb intake and catback exhaust. Car has 14k miles

MOFiST

A radiator mod is looking more appealing by the day. Starting to notice a trend here. I'd be looking into this now rather than waiting. It sounds like it could be a gasket or an external hose leak. I'd be following the previous advice if it was me.

So my dealer topped up my coolant to the max fill line on Saturday. I've driven about 300 km since then mixed city and highway. I shut the car off today and checked the level after an hour. It was midway between max and min. I called the dealer and spoke with a service advisor. He said to monitor it for now but doesn't seem abnormal since the level can change with temperature. I hung up dissatisfied, I thought maybe they could run a test? What can/should be done to find the cause? I don't want to wait till my car overheats one day in traffic