Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Based

Do eibach springs or maybe even h&r springs make the ride any rougher? Are any one of these springs better than the rest for any reason?

LILIKE16ST

Do eibach springs or maybe even h&r springs make the ride any rougher? Are any one of these springs better than the rest for any reason?
I am partial to swift spec r because they lower the perfect amount (only as much as benefits a lower center of gravity and not enough to throw off suspension geometry) which is a claimed 1.1 front 1.0 rear and they are linear rate for much better turn in and predictable handling and they are also built around the upper limits of the factory shocks and struts so IMO if only changing springs and not going full coil overs these are easily the best ones to get performance wise (handling and functionality etc). I'm gonna be getting some very soon.

"Better" is a subjective term. Are you looking for a more harsh ride? Linear springs are not going to make the Fiesta ride smoothly. The main issue with the stock suspension is the damping of the original struts and shocks. The Fiesta basically feels like it's crashing over expansion strips and road irregularities. If the roads were in better shape, this would be ok. But, it quickly begins to punish most people. The heavyweight wheels and low profile/short sidewall tires just magnify it

"Better" is a subjective term. Are you looking for a more harsh ride? Linear springs are not going to make the Fiesta ride smoothly. The main issue with the stock suspension is the damping of the original struts and shocks. The Fiesta basically feels like it's crashing over expansion strips and road irregularities. If the roads were in better shape, this would be ok. But, it quickly begins to punish most people. The heavyweight wheels and low profile/short sidewall tires just magnify it

LILIKE16ST

This is true. I have much lighter 15x8 and sidewalls around an inch taller than stock tires do this helps a lot on ride quality. I think the swift springs will at least take some of the bounciness away if nothing else and that is fine with me because it will improve both looks and handling. I'm used to cars that don't ride the best lol. If ride quality was the main concern I would probably go with mountune progressive rate springs

Hey everyone, I finally had a chance to get lower this weekend. Installed H&R sport springs and I couldn't be happier how everything came out. Let me know what you think!
Friend I am new in the forum and finishing this month I am given my st ... I like the height of your car if it is not annoyance you can tell me what is the exact reference of your springs...thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Im about to run some Koni Orange's and am curious if anybody has experience with them in combination with the swift spec r or the mountune springs. The swift springs have a higher spring rate than the mountune, but claim to be linear. I'm looking for the most comfortble combination. Or should I just stick with OEM springs?

Edit: After reading, it seems that progressive springs aren't as predictable as linear springs. Think ill go with OEM for a little bit, then go to spec r's if I feel the need.

Only linear springs have a stated "rate". Variable rate coils can only be judged on a subjective scale of harshness/smoothness and sometimes,more easily by how much they lower a car than a second offerig from the same maker. IE; sport vs super sport.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Sometimes the companies producing variable rate springs do give a 'range' for their spring's rates, i.e.; 100-175 lb. in., but yes, this is probably a guess at best on their part.

Seems like the more im reading, the more im confusing myself... I just want it a little less jarring, and if springs will help as well then im definitely considering getting them too. I've seen a lot of great reviews on the eibach, mountune, Cobb, springs but they're all progressive. I don't track my car, nor chuck it into corners like Ricky Bobby. Just looking for a smoother ride. Any help is greatly appreciated!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you don't care about lowering the car at all, I would just use the factory springs.

If you DO want it to sit lower for aesthetic reasons, many people like the comfort of the Mountune springs, even though they will give up that linear rate 'edge' of the Swift Spec Rs. ;)

If you don't care about lowering the car at all, I would just use the factory springs.

If you DO want it to sit lower for aesthetic reasons, many people like the comfort of the Mountune springs, even though they will give up that linear rate 'edge' of the Swift Spec Rs. ;)
Thank you, I'll just stick with the oem springs for now then. Not too concerned about the height, I'm getting old lol. It's easier for me to get in and out at stock height. Well, guess I'll be ordering the fronts from Ron now as well! [driving]

Seems like the more im reading, the more im confusing myself... I just want it a little less jarring, and if springs will help as well then im definitely considering getting them too. I've seen a lot of great reviews on the eibach, mountune, Cobb, springs but they're all progressive. I don't track my car, nor chuck it into corners like Ricky Bobby. Just looking for a smoother ride. Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm old too and am getting tired of bouncing around. The California roads are terrible. I have even been thinking of installing springs from an SE. I have a rear Eibach sway bar I'm going to be installing. I remember years ago I was reading something on suspension, it said that the key to a good ride with control was softer springs with good shocks and sway bars.

I'm old too and am getting tired of bouncing around. The California roads are terrible. I have even been thinking of installing springs from an SE. I have a rear Eibach sway bar I'm going to be installing. I remember years ago I was reading something on suspension, it said that the key to a good ride with control was softer springs with good shocks and sway bars.
After driving for a few days with the Knoi STR.T's on the oem springs, i can say the ride is MUCH improved. The little dips, bumps, cracks and other imperfections are nearly soaked up completely. The ride is no longer jarring on my back, especially on this big dip on the way to work. I used to either brace myself or drive around it, now I take it head on with confidence. I may look into sawy bars as well!

After driving for a few days with the Knoi STR.T's on the oem springs, i can say the ride is MUCH improved. The little dips, bumps, cracks and other imperfections are nearly soaked up completely. The ride is no longer jarring on my back, especially on this big dip on the way to work. I used to either brace myself or drive around it, now I take it head on with confidence. I may look into sawy bars as well!
The main issue FiST owners have is the ride quality. The shocks/struts from the factory are too harsh on real world roads. The added issue of heavy O.E.large diameter wheels that necessitates the very short sidewall tires, creates a ride that crashes over expansion joints, shudders the whole car on wavey or washboard road surfaces. Some people.accept this as the price of a lowered or sporty car. The swaybars have little to do with ride quality. Their effects on straight line ride quality are very limited.
Fortunately, the original shocks and struts will have packed it in by 30k. The O.E. springs are perfectly fine for street use.The O.E. wheels are expensive to replace or repair. 16 inch choices are limited, but available to mount slightly more forgiving tires on.
I think the confusion isnt limited to springs and swaybars. Some guys are choosing superlight 16 inch wheels and performance rubber. Others have found that the ride issues can be muted with a set of used 16 inch Focus wheels and a 195/60 all season tire. I just felt this needs to be said.

DaveG99

If you cant handle the bounce and stiff ride put some 15" wheels and some high sidewall tires like 205/50-55/15

Thats one path. Many here think a 16 inch rim is better aesthetic solution. I totally understand how people can get confused on how to go about getting the feel they want. I put Koni sport dampers, O.Z. 15 inch wheels an Eibach rear beam stiffener, Eibach lowering coils,adjustable front endinks and various bushings replaced with eurathane versions. All to get the basic Fiesta to handle well. Then, on my FiST the same dampers were adjusted and employed to dial out alot of the O.E. harshness!. The Koni sport is a true cure all.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So are the Eibach Pro the way to go if you would like just a little lower and less bouncy ride with the progressive springs? And if installed early in the life of the car, could the stock shocks maybe even last longer with less harsh motions being sent to them?

JBO

So are the Eibach Pro the way to go if you would like just a little lower and less bouncy ride with the progressive springs? And if installed early in the life of the car, could the stock shocks maybe even last longer with less harsh motions being sent to them?
Simple answer, yes and yes!
I now have 38500km on my car (24000 miles) and the ride is vastly improved, but bad roads are still not great in the car.
Mountune or Eibach are pretty much the same, but I went Mountune and am a very happy customer.