Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP 409 Stainless 3" Exhaust Install and Interior Audio Clip

iso100

1000 Post Club
I installed the MBRP 409 stainless 3" exhaust today on my brother-in-law's shop lift. (I pre-ordered it from HorsePower Direct here.)

The parts:

Installation was fairly straightforward. We didn't have a sawsall so he plasma cut off the old exhaust. I was also installing a Curt hitch so that went on after the factory exhaust was removed.

Here's a photo of both huge boxes in the car without having to move the front seats:

Fitment is generally very good although the loop that goes over the rear suspension seems a bit too close (about 13mm) to the passenger side underbody:

I would not want to have to attempt removing the rear half of the stock exhaust while the car is on jack stands. We likely didn't cut in exactly the right spot but it was a bit of a pain to snake out the back.

Here's a shot of the factory downpipe outlet and the blue factory front (softer) hanger.

Here's what the tips look like in the bumper cutout from ground level:

Look Ma, no rear muffler!

Snake bend after the rear twist beam:

That there's the resonator:

How the tips extend out the perfect amount and follow the profile of the bumper:

Finished product from the rear:

Last but not least, some interior video. At 1:00 I roll the windows up. At 1:30 I take a very fast left hand turn and my company iPhone smacks into the Moto X that's taking the video. I suggest watching on something with a subwoofer or good headphones because you just can't hear the bass out of a smartphone speaker or on crappy speakers.

[video=youtube;eCU6ZVBRDtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCU6ZVBRDtY[/video]

I almost forgot my observations:

When I first started it up, I loved the idle sound. It's mean and sounds awesome. Even blipping the throttle in neutral sounds angry.

When driving, it's LOUD. Not Honda fart can loud at all, but there is a bit of resonance that starts at 3k and goes to 3750 or so with the windows down. It's still there with the windows up but not as bad.

I can definitely feel a power increase but haven't run any logs. I was surprised that I was able to feel it... I was expecting just audio from this mod but there's a noticeable increase in power.

In general it's probably a bit on the loud side for me but I like it, the kids like it and that's good enough for me. My daughter who is 13 begged me to drive her to school in it on Monday instead of taking the bus so her friends can hear it. I guess that's a good thing.

I'll update this post after the wife hears it. Cringe.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The butt dyno confirms their +10th claims.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thanks for sharing this video, for a 3" exhaust its not very loud.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
It definitely sounds louder in person than my phone could capture. When I listen on my Grado SR80e audiophile headphones I can hear it but it's still not the same.

The exhaust looks really good. I'm close to pulling the trigger and picking one of these up.

great writeup & pics. Mine is still in the box; install on 9/11

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thanks for sharing the review and video clip. It sounds really good.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I plan to do a 3rd gear data log today.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
More thoughts about drone:

When accelerating the drone kicks in about 3k. When decelerating in gear, it kicks in about 2500.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Gonna be a hard one to quantify as it's such a personal preference kind of thing. It's louder than I'd like it to be but not loud enough for me to consider a different exhaust... Especially with the definite gains in power I can feel.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I totally believe their +10hp and +13tq claim. I had to get into it to catch a light and holy crap!