Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How-To: Remove your turbocharger

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Sourskittle, would you recommend pulling the turbo/ manifold to smooth out the manifold exhaust ports? Would it be worth it from what you have seen? Any performance or consistency improvements?

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I had a core with 10k miles on it sitting around and I wanted to see the insides of the cyborg turbo. We are going to go through it tomorrow and see how the thrust bearing and shaft bearing is wearing.

When we looked at both of them on the bench ( 10k mile stocker vs 10-11k mile cyborg ) the first thing we noticed is the stock turbo actually had more shaft play than the cyborg did with the same amount of miles. We also found zero oil in the compressor housing inlet or outlet. The turbine blades look almost exactly like when I installed it about 6 months ago...

Looks like its getting a good health review so far.

[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] Nice to hear SS, as im sure you know about my buying Rick's Cyborg off him. i couldn't say no to the combo IC Cyborg with the low miles on them.
Have you had a good tune done up for the Cyborg yet and a proper dyno pull?

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
I would DEF recommend pulling the turbo/manifold/turbine housing to port them.

Despite selling an upgraded turbo unit, I actually pulled the turbo on a Friday night, ported the parts on a Saturday morning/evening, ans reinstalled the turbo Saturday night. ALL BEFORE EVER UPGRADING THE TURBO WHEELS. After that, I def noticed a difference. The car was very very much happier driving with the AC on ( I know, a little weird of a thing to notice ) and I could def feel it revved better/cleaner up top. Another thing... I noticed I could run cobbs stg3 tune without an intercooler or intake ( when it was really hot, I would load the 91oct stg3 vs the 93oct i normally used ).

I did not do real datalogs, datazap, access tuner, virtual dyno, or anything I do now, so... I have no solid gain numbers, but it was VERY VERY worth it.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I would DEF recommend pulling the turbo/manifold/turbine housing to port them.

Despite selling an upgraded turbo unit, I actually pulled the turbo on a Friday night, ported the parts on a Saturday morning/evening, ans reinstalled the turbo Saturday night. ALL BEFORE EVER UPGRADING THE TURBO WHEELS. After that, I def noticed a difference. The car was very very much happier driving with the AC on ( I know, a little weird of a thing to notice ) and I could def feel it revved better/cleaner up top. Another thing... I noticed I could run cobbs stg3 tune without an intercooler or intake ( when it was really hot, I would load the 91oct stg3 vs the 93oct i normally used ).

I did not do real datalogs, datazap, access tuner, virtual dyno, or anything I do now, so... I have no solid gain numbers, but it was VERY VERY worth it.
Definitely looks like a small project I may take on, on one of the next long weekends off that I have. Should be no issue for me as I have some porting experience in my old 5.0 and 2.3 OHC days. Lol, the last time I fitted a T-bird Supercoupe TB ( upgraded 65mm at that) to a heavy breathing/ cammed 2.3 OHC engine. Man that was a lot of metal to take off, lol

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #65
You should be just fine. The only catch is... These manifolds and turbine housing.... These things ant no joke !!! They are so hard, it takes forever. Make sure you have an electric die grinder ( 1/4 shank ) and so decent carbide bits.

Your going to want at at least one long bit too.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
You should be just fine. The only catch is... These manifolds and turbine housing.... These things ant no joke !!! They are so hard, it takes forever. Make sure you have an electric die grinder ( 1/4 shank ) and so decent carbide bits.

Your going to want at at least one long bit too.
Yeah, I'll need to upgrade my bits. No biggie. I also expect it to take a lot of time, which I dread, lol. I need to pull the downpipe and turbo anyway to extract the bolt that I broke off when doing the downpipe so might as well do this as well. I plan to install studs in place of those bolts as well and to go ahead and wrap the downpipe.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
Ebay has a turbo sock I've want to try. Its like $27. And wrapped the downpipe is an awesome idea. I'm so super happy I double wrapped mine...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Ebay has a turbo sock I've want to try. Its like $27. And wrapped the downpipe is an awesome idea. I'm so super happy I double wrapped mine...
Have you tested the temp diff in the engine bay? Also are you still selling the large bore intake elbows?

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #69
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] Nice to hear SS, as im sure you know about my buying Rick's Cyborg off him. i couldn't say no to the combo IC Cyborg with the low miles on them.
Have you had a good tune done up for the Cyborg yet and a proper dyno pull?
I actually do NOT have a good tune for 93oct. Lol. The problem is... 93oct SUCKS !! Everytime I try to run it and tune it a bit, I end up just adding more eth anyway and getting back to having fun. Even on this stock turbo I'm running, I can't stand the 93oct tune...

If you buy access tuner from cobb, I'll send you my E40 tune for free. I can send you a 93oct tune too, but honestly, I think Panda is who you should be talking to about that... I'm no tuner. I can use a cannon ball to kill a misqueto, but I can't hit a moving object from 1,000 yards with a 22cal. That 93oct tuning requires a softer touch than I have...

And I actually did NOT know you were the person Rick sole his stuff to. Congrats, your gonna love it. You do still need to port the manifold as well, since I think he is keep his ?

Anything I can do to help, just PM or ask me :)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #70
Have you tested the temp diff in the engine bay? Also are you still selling the large bore intake elbows?
I did the wrap at the same time I did the downpipe install.

I am still selling the large bore inlets :) they are a couple weeks out from the time of ordering since my friend that builds them is pretty much building them to order now.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I did the wrap at the same time I did the downpipe install.

I am still selling the large bore inlets :) they are a couple weeks out from the time of ordering since my friend that builds them is pretty much building them to order now.
Definitely let me know when you get them...I may be interested in one. If you want to do a comparo for the community on engine bay temps with or without the wrap...I could test mine and you could test yours to see the diff, at least before I wrap mine. We have the same climate, lol. Either way, I may do this testing when I go to wrap mine. Just not sure how long that will be.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I actually do NOT have a good tune for 93oct. Lol. The problem is... 93oct SUCKS !! Everytime I try to run it and tune it a bit, I end up just adding more eth anyway and getting back to having fun. Even on this stock turbo I'm running, I can't stand the 93oct tune...

If you buy access tuner from cobb, I'll send you my E40 tune for free. I can send you a 93oct tune too, but honestly, I think Panda is who you should be talking to about that... I'm no tuner. I can use a cannon ball to kill a misqueto, but I can't hit a moving object from 1,000 yards with a 22cal. That 93oct tuning requires a softer touch than I have...

And I actually did NOT know you were the person Rick sole his stuff to. Congrats, your gonna love it. You do still need to port the manifold as well, since I think he is keep his ?

Anything I can do to help, just PM or ask me :)
Cool thanks. All i can get here is 91 and 1 place sells 93 but its 40minutes away.so will need a 91 and a 93 oct tune. An e30 would be cool for when i can get it or make it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Lessard.dcj,

As you know, just making it clear hear you do not need to port the turbin inlet and WG as already done but you do want to port the manifold as it is a pretty sloppy factory casting unfortunately.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #74
Just wanted to ass that of you want, you can steal one of the M6 hex head screws from the compressor cover BRACKET ( it has 2 ), and use it in the oil pan where the oil return hose bolts on. My torx got stripped because A) being at a crappy angle and B) I finished it off by using a torx that was one size too small.

With the hex bolt, its a 5mm hex that generally comes in those 90* little tools and its perfect for tightening and loosening at the angle you can get to that return hose ( because the passenger axle is in the way ).

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Anybody got a P/N for the oil return line? I may have to rebuild mine, as a quick change place overfilled me by half a quart and I think my seal is done... Or I could just send it back SS's way and get that reclip done...eh? Text me the details on a rebuild/reclip, SS.