Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark plug socket size?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Hey guys, for those that have actually taken out their spark plugs what's the plug socket size? I've tried 9/16", 5/8" and 16mm. The 16mm feels the best, but it doesn't feel quite right and I don't want to yank on it until I'm sure what the correct plug socket size I should be using. TIA. According to the manual the ST uses SP532 and the drive socket head listed is 9/16", but the socket I have doesn't seem to slip on the plug.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I used the 5/8" spark plug remover socket. Worked like a champ! Here is a picture for reference of a 5/8" socket on the stock plug.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the response and picture. I tried several 5/8" spark plug specific sockets and none would slip on, but none were deep sockets either. Perhaps I need a deep socket?, which the one in the picture appears to be. I don't have a 5/8" deep plug socket, so I'll need to pick one up if that's what it takes.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
You might want to pick up a 5/8" deep spark plug socket. It has a rubber isolator inside of it that prevents you from breaking the plug and it keeps the plug in the socket when you pull it up.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Whelp mystery solved. It turns out that the wall of all of the 5/8" spark plugs sockets I had were slightly too thick. I picked up a regular length, but thinner walled 5/8" spark plug socket, it fit and I was able to take out a plug. Thanks for the info again.